By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Just Won Japan: Nintendo Puts out 2007 Wii release List

• Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race (DK Jet or DK Bongo Blast, US) - June 28, 2007
  • Wii Health Pack -- 2007
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis - 2007
  • Mario Party 8 - 2007
  • Project H.A.M.M.E.R. - 2007
  • Wii Music - 2007
  • Super Mario Galaxy - 2007
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 2007
  • Battalion Wars II - 2007
  • Forever Blue - 2007
  • Mario Strikers Charged - 2007
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 2007
  • Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - 2007
  • Consider that Big Brain Academy, Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem, One Piece, Wii Play and Wii Sports are already out for Wii in Japan.

3rd party offerings for the year include:

RE4, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Opoona, Nights, Dragon Quest: Swords, Treasure Island and more. 

With Sega developing Mario & Sonic, and recently acquired Monolith handling Disaster, it seems 11 of Nintendo's current 45 in development Wii games will release in Japan - this year.

Considering Metroid will do much, much better in America than Japan, and considering Brawl likely does not have much text to translate, it looks like "the big three" along with Mario & Sonic and perhaps Disaster: Day of Crisis could make it out in the USA to combat Halo 3, GTA, Mass Effect, Too Human and Assassin's Creed for the Xbox 360, and GTA, MGS4, Assassin's Creed and the PS3 lineup. 

If nothing else, sales in Q3 and Q4 2007 should be unbelievable for the USA Videogame market.  This is likely the time that will determine if Wii can ever catch up to 360 in the USA, I have my doubts that it will be able to - but if it is going to happen, supply and sales in Q3 and Q4 will be crucial.

With Sony faltering in Japan this year, and Microsoft's presence almost irrelevant in comparison, it seems that at least through 2007, Nintendo will rule Japan with an iron fist.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

There is no objection that the Wii will continue through 2007 to be the console leader in Japan. However, I think that they will have to work hard to continue the pace they are on right now to continue to get more sales and to outright win the console war this generation. If they become complacent and allow Sony a chance to mount a huge surge, they could gain some major momentum and end up making this generation very close. There are many sony fans out there and they are just waiting for their time to buy the PS3. For some, they are waiting for some games to be released that excite them. Others are waiting for a price drop. And some are just waiting because they are having too much fun with their PS2 and don't see the need to buy a new system yet.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Symply too good to be true.

Yes it's amazing but I"m wondering if these games will cancel each other out. I mean anyone knows that cross platform games dont' necessarily compete with themselves. Games on the same platform are actually the ones competing for sales. So I'm wondering with games like Galaxy, Brawl, and Corruption releasing at the same time that they will all suffere drops in sales or one will cancel sales out of the rest. That's the only problem with ahving a lot of big games released in the same time is that they will take sales away from each other. I was always hoping that Corruption would be pushed back to early 2008 and let Brawl take holiday season and then let Galaxy take Q3. But we'll see how Nintendo works this out. But still for the consumer it's wonderful news. I'll be buying most of those games. Especially Disaster. Can't wait to hear more about this game. And Battalion Wars II with online will be great. For the consumer this is a dream list of games. I just hope NIntendo is planning this right.

Even at this point I don't see how PS3 could ever catch Wii in Japan. They have a big lead and are outselling the PS3 7-1 now... If they keep that up through 07 then there is no looking back. As for Wii catching 360 in NA I think it is going to happen, tho maybe not this year with Wii still supply constrained. I think it really comes down to how many people are actually waiting for Halo 3 to get a 360. Since there are tons of FPSs already I think that Halo 3 will not boost sales as much as everyone projects. But while Wii has a chance in NA, PS3 has no change to even get second in NA imo. And no chance of first in Japan. So they better do good in Europe to have a chance of being the ww leader (which is a long shot). With 3rd parties already having games around 1M sold I think any 3rd party that hasn't taken notice will have to start to at some point. Once the 3rd party games come pouring in it will be back to the drawing board for MS and Sony.

Around the Network
    Zucas said:
    Yes it's amazing but I"m wondering if these games will cancel each other out. I mean anyone knows that cross platform games dont' necessarily compete with themselves. Games on the same platform are actually the ones competing for sales. So I'm wondering with games like Galaxy, Brawl, and Corruption releasing at the same time that they will all suffere drops in sales or one will cancel sales out of the rest. That's the only problem with ahving a lot of big games released in the same time is that they will take sales away from each other. I was always hoping that Corruption would be pushed back to early 2008 and let Brawl take holiday season and then let Galaxy take Q3. But we'll see how Nintendo works this out. But still for the consumer it's wonderful news. I'll be buying most of those games. Especially Disaster. Can't wait to hear more about this game. And Battalion Wars II with online will be great. For the consumer this is a dream list of games. I just hope NIntendo is planning this right.

I would still expect the big 3 to be about 2 months apart anyway. Maybe like July (Mario), September (Metroid), November (Brawl).

Good lineup, but it's not anything unexpected. Sony's got no prayer until they start releasing more than one game a month.

Nintendo basically made a console DS in the wii. Kudos for a great product for the mass market. I just hate to see everything boil down into senseless bickering about companies and victory. The Wii is not for me, its not for alot of people, sure it may be for more people but theres a lot to be said for what the 360 brings to the table and what the PS3 is capable of bringing to the table (home, bd are uproven). We know what we get in the 360 and the Wii, IMO....and people are answering with a resounding yes to the Wii. The PS3 will hang its hat on Home and BD, so im not going to even try to defend this logic to the rabid fanboys who want to declare death. The PS3 IMO has teh largest upside but has the least proven at this poin.

Nintendo ran through the door and really hit the nail on the head with the Wii. Its going to sell the most barring Nintendo crapping on themselves, but that doesnt mean Sony of MS will fail at all. Each console exists for different reasons, the Wii is get Nintendo profit, Nintendo just makes consoles. 360 is for Vista integration and competition with Sony. The PS3 is for BD saturation and integration of home electronics of other Sony products. To try to judge these incredibly diverse business models against one another in such simple terms of sales is idiotic, IMO.

There is nothing i cringe at more than "Wii won japan" or "PS3 will win Europe" "why MS will win America" These products exist for different reasons, its about time some of you people start analyzing their successes and failure son an individual basis because this is just silly. Games like Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lair, Heavenly Sword, XBL, Home arent going to be in the same time zone as Wii....what teh Wii has to offer isnt going to be available on the PS3 or 360, barring an incredibel drop in console sales there isnt going to be enough of a drop in 360/ps3 sales to move devs from these projects unatainable on the wii over to the wii.....it just aint gonna happen no matter how much the wii sells.....the only thing that will change is that teh Wii will see MORE supports in other areas fromthese companies, it will mean more games being made, not less game son the 360 and PS3 and mor eon wii, it will be same on PS3 and 360 and more on wii....good for all gamers.

Theres a lot to be said for what each of these consoles brings or will bring to the table, the only way sony loses is i BD falls on its face and the company implodes (please spare the imature comments) The only way the Wii loses is.....there is no way, nintendo wil make profit, there will only be degress of profit no lose/win for nintendo. the 360 will probably never make money, Im not too sure what MS has as its vision, its not clearly defined as the PS3 with BD and entertainment hub....but i guess D2D downloading and digital video distribution COULD be a focus of MS's vision, but at this point its not clear to me.......

As nice as it would be to live in a world where these consoles were merely gaming machines with direct comparisons it is equally nice to be able to step back and realize these are different beasts with the same color of fur. There is no comparing these consoles as they not only exist for different reasons, but are attacking the market for different reasons....the simple hardware sales do not justify the success and failures of these consoles in a linear way as is discussed far too often here.

ZOMGWTFPWND! SRSLY.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

that's a lot. what's left for 2008?

they must have even more new IPs in development if they don't need to hold back.

or maybe hardware upgrade... who knows. 

the Wii is an epidemic.