By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 should overtake 360 outside of US next month

a less misleading OP woulda been something along the lines of:

next month, ps3's lead in japan will be greater than 360's lead in NA

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network

yes but like this your excluding 360's strongest market

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

""you have to assume the Wii is in direct console sale vs console sale competition with the PS3. Remember, the Sony fanboys don't believe that, because if it were true, it would mean that the Wii is kicking the PS3's ass. Therefore, they can't believe your argument, due to their personal religious beliefs. ""

==> yes, sure, direct competition

PS3 400-500$ VS Wii 250$

and also :
Even if the Wii/PS3 are not in direct competition, u can still say
"Wii is kicking PS3's ass"

Time to Work !

libellule said:
""you have to assume the Wii is in direct console sale vs console sale competition with the PS3. Remember, the Sony fanboys don't believe that, because if it were true, it would mean that the Wii is kicking the PS3's ass. Therefore, they can't believe your argument, due to their personal religious beliefs. ""

==> yes, sure, direct competition

PS3 400-500$ VS Wii 250$

and also :
Even if the Wii/PS3 are not in direct competition, u can still say
"Wii is kicking PS3's ass"

a) by that logic, gc wasn't in direct competition last gen either

b) you can get an x360 for $280, so does that mean ps3 isn't competing with 360 either?

c) millions of people have bought wiis for 400+ on ebay/craigslist/etc...price isn't why the wii is selling

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

the bottom line is that wii is in direct competition with ps360 for the GAMER market (both hardcore and casual)

the main difference this gen is that wii has NO competition for the non-gamer market from the consoles...it is competing with handhelds, sports tickets, movie tickets, board games, exercise equipment/tapes, gym memberships, etc etc etc for non-gamers' money and time

Predictions:

Around the Network
cleveland124 said:
viewsonic9 said:
cleveland124 said:
You guys think this is a good thing for Sony?  The PS2 outsold the Xbox by almost 22 million units in Japan.  The 360 is dead in Japan.  The fact that you can take Europe and Japan and 360 still has a lead is a testament to a good business decision by xbox and the lack of total business sense by Sony to release a $600 game machine.

That's one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. You do realise that the PS3 has been out for 11 months less than the 360 in Japan and about 15 months less in Pal regions?

Since its launch in Pal regions the 360 has sold about 215,000 per month there compared to the PS3 selling an average of 400,000.

How can that not be a good thing that the PS3 is selling twice as fast as the 360 in Pal regions? How can it not be a good sign for the future that the PS3 is selling in all regions?

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who criticize Sony's gaming strategy when they have sold more home consoles in 13 years than Nintendo have in 30. How on earth can you criticize their lack of business sense when the 8 year old PS2 is outselling the 360 so far this year?

It's very simple, 90% of the gaming public thought PS3 would own the market by now.  Developers don't care that the PS3 has been out for 11 months less in Japan or 15 months less in Pal regions.  Did this help the Xbox against the PS2, and extend the life of the xbox?  Games will sell better currently and the foreseeable future on the 360.  Or did you miss the rash of PS3 game cancellations and the big titles that either got ported to the 360/Wii or moved altogether?  The Xbox 360 and PS3 lives will end at the same time regardless because neither has become the phenomenom that was the PS2 or PS1 for that matter. 

PS3 is not selling twice as fast as 360.  To compare launch to launch you are looking at a launch where the 360 had extremely limited supply to a launch where PS3 had 1 million units.  Current sales are better to compare since neither is supply constrained.  Current sales according to the site are 46% better than 360.  This sounds good until you realize the Wii outsells the PS3 + Xbox360 in Europe.  But you are probably in your dream world and believe that the PS3 doesn't compete with Wii. 

Sony did an AMAZING job with PS1 and PS2, no complaints there.  But that doesn't mean they are foolproof.  The PS3 has been a nightmare from the start.  We can argue til we are blue in the face about their launch, but if you'd have said PS3 wouldn't sell 10 million in it's first 15 mos on the market, would sell less than half as much as the Wii during that time, and had no chance of passing the 360 worldwide by the end of 2008, people would have laughed at you and called you the dumbest person on earth.  Notwithstanding arguing that this was a good thing for the PS3.

He meant in PAL regions, where so far, the PS3 has sold about twice as fast (400k is ALMOST twice as much as 215k, as he put it)

And also, the PS3 only had about 400k at launch, not 1 million. The Wii had 2 million at launch, and I don't know how many the 360 had, but it was probably higher than 400k WW.

Sqrl said:

Smart people do stupid things the same way smart companies do stupid things. You can be a catholic priest but if you touch an alter boy in his "naughty place" you go to jail.

Worst. Analogy. Ever.

a.) The clergy has traditionally been a dumping ground for those not intelligent enough to pursue further education. Much like the army.

b.) Pedophilia or pederasty are in no way related to intellect. See Oscar Wilde.

@ akuma587

Tru dat. 

Impressive .... afther last years fiasco , I wasnt expecting this to happen so fast :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Mummelmann said:
It is indeed very close, MS can only live off of one market for so long.
I can't believe you guys think that Sony would be doomed if they lost all sales in America, yet you don't realize how much trouble MS actually is in having only one market. The world > North America, in case you didn't know (or in case you're ignoring it on purpose)

Okay, as per VGChartz.

7.54 (Japan) / 46.97 (World) = 17.01%

23.49 (Americas) / 46.97 (World) = 50.01%

15.94 (Others) / 46.97 (World) = 32.98%

So technically its 50.01%. (Americas) vs 49.99% (Others).

A little over 1 out of every 2 consoles are purchased in the Americas.  

Compare this to the state that the PS3 was in in the first half of last year and this is a huge improvement, saying Sony isn't on the comeback would be unrealistic.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!