By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 720 will Decide if WiiU RAM is enough.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Actually Nintendo didn't allow third parties room to breathe and be themselves and thats how they ran the NES/SNES era. When Sony arrived they did what Sega couldnt and gave third parties and alternative that will make their own great games and allow third parties to fly. This is why they flocked to Sony for the format perks. Since then its been a beautiful relationship, hands down Sony and Microsoft deal with third party in a fair manner compared to Nintendo. Nintendo expects third parties to drop their aspirations to suit their weak console specs. That wont fly if the market is growing and has money to spend. This new gen will start off a little slower than normal but third parties now have a backbone because of companies like Sony and Microsoft.

It's also beautiful that Sony is making its way to bankruptcy. In other words, it's beautiful for 3rd parties but I don't believe in the business model (loss-leading, buying out 3rd parites).

Sorry.

Keep talking about Sonys business model when we know its their outer gaming region that is the true loss leader. Sony has taken risks with consoles because they know they'll reap the rewards later and they have. The Vita is their only true flaw that is taking a while to pick up. The Move of all the last gen peripherals was the best...but had no games to show how truly precise it was compared to the competition.

The PS4 will be more affordable to put together and sell than the PS3 if you listened to what Sony said at the unveiling. It worked out best in everyones favor...words Nintendo fails to understand. Theres no everyone with them when it comes to development planning.

not sure if serious...

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Crysis 3, Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, Watch Dogs, etc., etc., all are able to run on 512MB RAM, so I don't see what's the problem.

DirtyP2002 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Actually Nintendo didn't allow third parties room to breathe and be themselves and thats how they ran the NES/SNES era. When Sony arrived they did what Sega couldnt and gave third parties and alternative that will make their own great games and allow third parties to fly. This is why they flocked to Sony for the format perks. Since then its been a beautiful relationship, hands down Sony and Microsoft deal with third party in a fair manner compared to Nintendo. Nintendo expects third parties to drop their aspirations to suit their weak console specs. That wont fly if the market is growing and has money to spend. This new gen will start off a little slower than normal but third parties now have a backbone because of companies like Sony and Microsoft.

It's also beautiful that Sony is making its way to bankruptcy. In other words, it's beautiful for 3rd parties but I don't believe in the business model (loss-leading, buying out 3rd parites).

Sorry.

Keep talking about Sonys business model when we know its their outer gaming region that is the true loss leader. Sony has taken risks with consoles because they know they'll reap the rewards later and they have. The Vita is their only true flaw that is taking a while to pick up. The Move of all the last gen peripherals was the best...but had no games to show how truly precise it was compared to the competition.

The PS4 will be more affordable to put together and sell than the PS3 if you listened to what Sony said at the unveiling. It worked out best in everyones favor...words Nintendo fails to understand. Theres no everyone with them when it comes to development planning.

not sure if serious...

I am. Sonys cause for massive losses is outside of the gaming arena. They are currently profiting off of the PS3.

DirtyP2002 said:
happydolphin said:
DirtyP2002 said:

wait...

Windows 8 needs 2 GB RAM for the 64bit version and 1 GB for the 32 bit version.
The Wii U needs 1 GB for the OS, the PS3 needs 1 GB for the OS.
The PS3 OS needs 96 MB for the OS. The Xbox 360 uses 32 MB (!!!) for the OS.

Why do you think the Xbox 720 will require 4 GB now?

Because supposedly the 720 willrun on a version of Windows 8 iiuc (a unified environment with all microsoft devices)

and why should this version use up to 4 times the amount of RAM as the regular version?

because it will have all this EXTRA pplications running that Pachter thinks the kids want. Like Pachter is convinced kids will tell their parents to buy the next xbox cause they can skype with their grandparents. 

Naum said:
Cobretti2 said:
seriously Nintendo should have gone back to cartridges style games with X gb pf ram inside each as required lol.

Then market the console as NO LOAD TIMES. In theory devs should be able to achieve that on flash memory..

God I miss those days...

Tell me about it I get so pissed of how slow my PS1 is at loading games. I didn't realise it was so bad lol.

Around the Network

I can think of at least a few things that will be greater deciding factors in whether Wii U's RAM is "enough." Like, you know, games.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
aikohualda said:
well said... but microsoft might give it a push too, to kill nintendo with their 3rd party...
but if they put on a 4 gig with a much cheaper console, now they could turn the table against sony being too expensive again like the ps3 era, until the technology catch up, until the pocket catch up, until a price cut has been implemented

Microsoft wont deny third parties the 8GB of ram they demanded.

you work in the gaming industry? how did you know they demand it?

its like saying game industries demanded blu ray last gen

There is an aura in the industry right now that leans towards 3rd parties being done with Nintendo regardless. They are not in the business of working with others, and it seems that everyone else is tired of the extra burden of working with them. Nintendo is in a if we build it they will come mindset, when everyone else has a what do you want us to build, and how can we make it the better for you ideology. 

It is not only MS and Sony they have to worry about either. Android and iOS devices are a year away from being on par with WiiU and they are the the bases of what the WiiU is. Both of those platforms are much more invested in getting 3rd party support and, both have much larger user bases than WiiU or any of the next gen console will ever achieve. In fact, as much as I know gamers hate to hear it, they are even a threat to MS and Sony. 

IMO Nintendo is heading more and  more towards being a LeapFrog competitor. Their devices are built for the single purpose of playing their games. No matter what XB3 does for RAM, I don't see a thing changing for Nintendo. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

pezus said:

A gig vs. 4 GB. Big difference there.

Suddently 2 gigs disappears. Where went the 2gigs required for the 64-bit architecture? Where went the fact that Sony's OS which isn't based off Windows requires a gig? It could end up requiring 2.5 to 3 gigs, and that would make an important difference in what's available.

However, to be fully honest, I think sony's 7gigs is overkill anyways, so it's not really important in the grand scheme of things. Mind you Nintendo's 1 gig available is a bottleneck no matter how you slice it. So again this wouldn't change much.

It won't matter much anyways.

Games will be scaled to fit and 7GB of RAM won't be needed for a game anyways. Hell, 4GB isn't even needed on a heavily unoptimized PC, let alone 7GB on a highly optimized console.

WiiU won't have a technical reason to be ignored.