By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is no one talking about the very recent failures from Microsoft? PC market hurting and a 5% stock drop

Why isn't this bigger news?

Old News 27 18.88%

No one Cares 44 30.77%

Microsoft is d00med! 33 23.08%

Holy Crap, I didn't know about this! 14 9.79%

Meeh 25 17.48%

Total:143

Meh, they will still post a HUGE profit. I think part of what is holding back new computer sales (other than cell phones) is that much better CPU/GPU and more efficient chips are about to some out. Intel has a new CPU that is more powerful and uses something like 1/30th the power.

Nvidia talked about a 10x power chip soon, and a 100x soon after that. I assume a new Surface Pro 2 will have a much better battery life, etc.

There just isn't enough products yet to justify going to Windows 8 if you don't have too yet.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
DanneSandin said:
kowenicki said:
DanneSandin said:

How come this isn't a bigger topic? MS has clearly failed with Windows 8, and as a consequences the PC market is hurting and MS's stock dropped 5% - yet, this isn't being discussed here? Or is this old news and I just haven't seen it?

I've also tried to see if this is news on a few other site, mostly News sites (such as the Sun, the Times, the NY Times) but it's barely being reported.

The only news I found about this is these two articles: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250889/pc-shipments-on-record-decline-in-q1-2013/

And from a Swedish newspaper: http://www.svd.se/naringsliv/branscher/teknik-och-telekom/nya-windows-bakom-rekordras-for-datorer_8073350.svd This is a translation from a part of the story (using Google Translate, and NOT correcting the translation myself): 

Sales of PCs fell by 14 percent during the first three months, the biggest drop as IDC recorded since records began in 1994. According to the company, Microsoft has failed miserably with its new version of Windows. Microsoft shares plummeting nearly 5 percent on Thursday.

So, is this old news and I haven't been paying attention, or isn't it interesting, or does no one care? It's weird though, people seem very fast to criticize Sony for selling their HQ's and Nintendo for... well, everything Nintendo does apparently dooms them ;)

there was a thread about the PC drop in the last couple of days.

Also the MSFT share price jumped over the days leaidng up to the drop, so the drop isnt remotely significamt. Its still higher than it was a week ago.  Why didnt you ask why the MSFT share price had jumped the day before?

Because I wasn't aware of it.

No need to be so defencive =)

LOL. Read your own thread title... I'm not the one seeking to have an an agenda here.  When you phrase a thread title this way it kind of begs for responses like this.

I was genuinely curious why I hadn't seen any of these news around here - but that was because I hadn't seen the thread about it. So I wouldn't mind if this thread got locked; I don't think I'll add much more to this particular discussion

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:

How come this isn't a bigger topic? MS has clearly failed with Windows 8, and as a consequences the PC market is hurting and MS's stock dropped 5% - yet, this isn't being discussed here? Or is this old news and I just haven't seen it?

I've also tried to see if this is news on a few other site, mostly News sites (such as the Sun, the Times, the NY Times) but it's barely being reported.

The only news I found about this is these two articles: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250889/pc-shipments-on-record-decline-in-q1-2013/

And from a Swedish newspaper: http://www.svd.se/naringsliv/branscher/teknik-och-telekom/nya-windows-bakom-rekordras-for-datorer_8073350.svd This is a translation from a part of the story (using Google Translate, and NOT correcting the translation myself): 

Sales of PCs fell by 14 percent during the first three months, the biggest drop as IDC recorded since records began in 1994. According to the company, Microsoft has failed miserably with its new version of Windows. Microsoft shares plummeting nearly 5 percent on Thursday.

So, is this old news and I haven't been paying attention, or isn't it interesting, or does no one care? It's weird though, people seem very fast to criticize Sony for selling their HQ's and Nintendo for... well, everything Nintendo does apparently dooms them ;)

Wow don't tell me you cited SvD? Please don't, that report is missing to point out a hundred things. Read the full report and then read his comments on SvD and tell me you don't feel like he is just pointing out on thing(Win8 fails on everything)? It's even stated in the comments section on Swedish which I am sure you can read since your Swedish I suppose

As for the Windows it has not been the backbone in Microsoft for a long time now, Office took over that spot and the services part is taking it over too.

Microsoft isn't doomed if Windows fails instead Microsoft is doomed if every single product segement starts to fail then they are doomed. Can you really compare MS's 5-6b$ every quarter with Nintendos and sonys losses and black numbers? Of course not

Besides two factors play a big role in this report firstly Pcs are so strong performance wise righ now that if you bought a laptop back 2012 for lets say 800$ it is still running strong for you, why should you go and buy a new PC then? I used to swap laptop every years in 2003-2009 but ever since 2010 I still have my Probook sitting here and itz been 3 years now, fully working with Win8 and Win7 in dual boot

Secondly the PC market is bound to decline because of the smartphones and tablets

ironmanDX said:
This Pc thing is stupid. Windows 8 sold at record numbers yet pc numbers are down? It's obvious. Tablets.

Seriously.....

This. Somehow people think MS will suffer from tablets, which is just wrong.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

hasonap said:
DanneSandin said:

Wow don't tell me you cited SvD? Please don't, that report is missing to point out a hundred things. Read the full report and then read his comments on SvD and tell me you don't feel like he is just pointing out on thing(Win8 fails on everything)? It's even stated in the comments section on Swedish which I am sure you can read since your Swedish I suppose

As for the Windows it has not been the backbone in Microsoft for a long time now, Office took over that spot and the services part is taking it over too.

Microsoft isn't doomed if Windows fails instead Microsoft is doomed if every single product segement starts to fail then they are doomed. Can you really compare MS's 5-6b$ every quarter with Nintendos and sonys losses and black numbers? Of course not

Besides two factors play a big role in this report firstly Pcs are so strong performance wise righ now that if you bought a laptop back 2012 for lets say 800$ it is still running strong for you, why should you go and buy a new PC then? I used to swap laptop every years in 2003-2009 but ever since 2010 I still have my Probook sitting here and itz been 3 years now, fully working with Win8 and Win7 in dual boot

Secondly the PC market is bound to decline because of the smartphones and tablets

Who's calling doom? The option in the poll is just there for the lulz.

I was mostly curious why this wasn't reported or discussed at greater length here, but there is apparently a thread about this, so... yeah...

And besides, SVD is way better than expressen and aftonbladet, and is superior to DN when it comes to science news (although I rather prefer DN over all).

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
hasonap said:
DanneSandin said:

I was mostly curious why this wasn't reported or discussed at greater length here, but there is apparently a thread about this, so... yeah...

And besides, SVD is way better than expressen and aftonbladet, and is superior to DN when it comes to science news (although I rather prefer DN over all).

Ahh okkay scratch off the doom thingy then

SvD is aftonbladets right hand they take care of all things economics for aftonbladet so it's not like they are some saints. They are Just as bad as aftonbladet, they just choose the things that will make an article and then just erases every other detail.

You mind telling me how bad Lenovo is doing if you only looked at that article?  I will give you a hint  not-so-bad

hasonap said:
DanneSandin said:
hasonap said:

SvD is aftonbladets right hand they take care of all things economics for aftonbladet so it's not like they are some saints. They are Just as bad as aftonbladet, they just choose the things that will make an article and then just erases every other detail.

You mind telling me how bad Lenovo is doing if you only looked at that article?  I will give you a hint  not-so-bad

haha I don't know how this turned out to be a discussion about Swedish newspapers, but anyways... I really think that expressen and aftonbladet are abominations! All they offer is gossips and sensational news, while SVD/DN are a bit more... level headed. I really despise kvällstidningarna...

Never heard of Lenovo, so I trust your hint ;)

DanneSandin said:

Aah, some doom to feast on.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DanneSandin said:
hasonap said:
DanneSandin said:
hasonap said:

haha I don't know how this turned out to be a discussion about Swedish newspapers, but anyways... I really think that expressen and aftonbladet are abominations! All they offer is gossips and sensational news, while SVD/DN are a bit more... level headed. I really despise kvällstidningarna...(couldnt agree more)

Never heard of Lenovo, so I trust your hint ;)

Thats the exact point, they are the 2nd  biggest manufacturer(only some 0.x% behind HP) and they are the only one out there of the big 5 that doesn't get mentioned in SvD article.

man, im surprised, I loved my win8 pc I don't understand why its selling below expectations