By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Should Quit The Gaming Biz

mutantclown said:
Jereel Hunter said:

2) Like I said, to the same extent. A lot of these services don't bring profit - they are SIMPLY a feature. And quite franky, Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon, etc, all directly compete with their own online viewing offerings. If they didn't have competition, they wouldn't offer them at all. Competitiion forces it.

3) I'm not saying PS4 wouldn't come, but not yet. If you think it would, well what can I say - that's incorrect. The PS3 has still not made profit over it's lifetime, overall. Why would they release the next system if they could run away with the generation uncontested like in the PS1/2 years?

4) 15 million kinect sales would disagree. You can say "Nah", but it's neither a valid argument, nor does it invalidate the statement.

2. Netflix would have approached Wii and PS3, simple as that, others would follow.

3. If the 360 is such a runaway success why didn't they launch 720 last year? And please show me some valid source confirming the PS3 has not made profit over its lifetime, you mean on hardware sales alone? not including software, services, accessories, digital content, etc etc? how would you know this? you're the one who's very incorrect about that.

4. I say "Nah" about Kinect ever being anything more than a gimmick for mindless shoverlware.

2. Netflix would have approached, yes. And Sony would have said no. Why release a compeptitor's product on your platform? They only did it because a big competitor like MS added netflix, they can't ignore it. If they were the only HD console, they'd be able to use far more monopoly-like tactics. Remember the beginning of the generation, Sony's hubris - it only changed because the 360 took a decisive lead, and things had to change to stop it.

3. Let me go back a bit, I was making a few statements based on assuming knowledge of the market for the past 10 years or so. Way back, Sony said the PS3 would have a 10 year lifespan, and Microsoft said they would NOT release the 720 until after Sony released their next system. Having a system with the longer lifespan, and delaying your next release shows that your brand is strong, and doesn't need to be renewed, yet. MS's financials supported this decision, Sony's didn't, so eventually they had to turn off in this little game of chicken.

You can google any source you want about the financial history of the PS3, here's one: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/19/the-sony-reciprocal-ps3-losses-surpass-ps2-profits/

PS3's development lost more for Sony than the PS2 profited them. All the profits from the biggest console of all time - gone. All analysis of the PS3's lifetime possibilities put breaking even as Sony's BEST CASE scenario. This includes hardware, software, partnerships, and online revenue. The PS3 is profitable from one quarter to the next now, but it began it's life over $3 Billion in the hole, and it's far from making that back. (It's next few years should be it's most profitable overall, so it has the chance to break even)

The 360 is purely in the profit region now, so compared to the PS3, it is a runaway success. MS is in no hurry to see this generation end.

4) you're welcome to your opinion. I personally am not a fan of any kinect games either - but I have a lot of friends who's kids LOVE them. Not all of them are shovelware, you just don't like that type of game. The one thing I do like about kinect is it also adds voice control, making things more convenient.

Around the Network

True points OP but why isnt this thread locked? its a blatant attack

This was a very poorly thought out article.... It doesn't sound as if the author even bothered doing too much research...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
for the first time i am on this site microsoft is getting doom threads.

go to apple threads..

Jereel Hunter said:
C0LINx said:
Jereel Hunter said:
C0LINx said:
I think so, I mean they really are changing the console business for the worse. We are forgetting what these machines were truly made for. What has Microsoft truly offered to gaming over the past few years? The only thing I could honestly say is a decent online service which one day will be matched by a competitor(Sony).

1) MS is the reason we have the online console capabilities we have today. Their continuing to move Live forward has forced Sony to match suit.

2) Microsoft's boldy acquiring partners has also forced Sony to follow suit. If Xbox live hadn't gotten Netflix, Hulu,  HBOGO, etc type apps, do you think Sony would have? The consoles would not be the media hubs (to the same extent) that they are today.

3) If the 360 wasn't a cheaper, comparable alternative to the PS3, do you think the PS4 would be releasing while the PS3 is still 10 digits in the red, lifetime? Without wanting to one-up MS, we'd be waiting another year or two for a PS4, so Sony could recoup losses.

4) Kinect - maybe there aren't many games we core gamers care about, but there are dance/exercise games that more girls like, lots of ones that entertain kids while being more active than sitting on the couch. And a next generation kinect may even be precise enough to give us games we'll enjoy too.

The fact that Sony has to compete is GEAT for us. What changes from PS1 to PS2? Better graphics. Thats' about it. But with Sony actually having to fight for their position, everything takes a quantum leap forward. Even if you refuse to acknowledge what MS has certainly brought to gaming in the last few years, you have to at least see that it prevents Sony from resting on their laurels. When PS3 released, it was $600, and the advice was to "get a second job" if you can't afford one. Do you really want a company with that mindset to have a virtual monopoly?

What has been so different about XBOX Live in the past 2 years? I'll wait till I see the 720 and its new features before making a full judgement on whether their online infastructure has improved upon the already great XBOX Live. Your first point pretty much reiterated what I said.

My point there wasn't that they've changed that much specifically in the last two years, but simply about why they shouldn't quit. If they quit, Sony doesn't need to try anymore. They can release a $600 console with no good games, and it still gets to be a success...

This generation, they did that and it was a disaster, so they redoubled their efforts and thus things got better for gamers. Would they have needed to try so hard if MS wasn't in the business? Nope. That's my only point. You don't need to constantly innovate to be worthwhile.

Aside from which, every new addition this generation (except movement based controls) has been MS first, and Sony following - if anything, this logic suggests it's Sony that should change businesses.

And my point really is that they haven't contributed much to gaming and if these upcoming rumors are true of an always online xbox, that is just even worse. 

Around the Network
Jereel Hunter said:
mutantclown said:
Jereel Hunter said:

2) Like I said, to the same extent. A lot of these services don't bring profit - they are SIMPLY a feature. And quite franky, Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon, etc, all directly compete with their own online viewing offerings. If they didn't have competition, they wouldn't offer them at all. Competitiion forces it.

3) I'm not saying PS4 wouldn't come, but not yet. If you think it would, well what can I say - that's incorrect. The PS3 has still not made profit over it's lifetime, overall. Why would they release the next system if they could run away with the generation uncontested like in the PS1/2 years?

4) 15 million kinect sales would disagree. You can say "Nah", but it's neither a valid argument, nor does it invalidate the statement.

2. Netflix would have approached Wii and PS3, simple as that, others would follow.

3. If the 360 is such a runaway success why didn't they launch 720 last year? And please show me some valid source confirming the PS3 has not made profit over its lifetime, you mean on hardware sales alone? not including software, services, accessories, digital content, etc etc? how would you know this? you're the one who's very incorrect about that.

4. I say "Nah" about Kinect ever being anything more than a gimmick for mindless shoverlware.

2. Netflix would have approached, yes. And Sony would have said no. Why release a compeptitor's product on your platform? They only did it because a big competitor like MS added netflix, they can't ignore it. If they were the only HD console, they'd be able to use far more monopoly-like tactics. Remember the beginning of the generation, Sony's hubris - it only changed because the 360 took a decisive lead, and things had to change to stop it.

3. Let me go back a bit, I was making a few statements based on assuming knowledge of the market for the past 10 years or so. Way back, Sony said the PS3 would have a 10 year lifespan, and Microsoft said they would NOT release the 720 until after Sony released their next system. Having a system with the longer lifespan, and delaying your next release shows that your brand is strong, and doesn't need to be renewed, yet. MS's financials supported this decision, Sony's didn't, so eventually they had to turn off in this little game of chicken.

You can google any source you want about the financial history of the PS3, here's one: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/19/the-sony-reciprocal-ps3-losses-surpass-ps2-profits/

PS3's development lost more for Sony than the PS2 profited them. All the profits from the biggest console of all time - gone. All analysis of the PS3's lifetime possibilities put breaking even as Sony's BEST CASE scenario. This includes hardware, software, partnerships, and online revenue. The PS3 is profitable from one quarter to the next now, but it began it's life over $3 Billion in the hole, and it's far from making that back. (It's next few years should be it's most profitable overall, so it has the chance to break even)

The 360 is purely in the profit region now, so compared to the PS3, it is a runaway success. MS is in no hurry to see this generation end.

4) you're welcome to your opinion. I personally am not a fan of any kinect games either - but I have a lot of friends who's kids LOVE them. Not all of them are shovelware, you just don't like that type of game. The one thing I do like about kinect is it also adds voice control, making things more convenient.

2. And Nintendo would have said No, too? nonsense. 

3. That's a 2008 article. The PS2 kept selling many more millions, and the PS3 became profitable. Again, poor sources, sorry, but that's total BS. Again, why don't we have a 720 already? according to your logic we should have it by now just like the PS3 came when the PS2 was in "pure profit region". You're just backtracking here, sorry, but it's also total BS.

4. I don't care about who loves Kinect, my point is not an opinion, it's a fact very evident in the kind of shovelware it supports.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
for the first time i am on this site microsoft is getting doom threads.

Seems they are accepted as valid competition.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

MB1025 said:
It is really sad that you can see a thread title and know who the OP is.

LOL, Somini really seems to fear Nextbox may steal PS4 some thunder.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

MS won't quit a biz that finally managed to turn profitable with great effort, but while when it entered it it was incorrectly identifying Sony as one of the biggest threats (but they must thank Sony's shortsighted choice of putting too little RAM in PS3 and its high launch price if it didn't become a viable competing general purpose computer), now instead it's CORRECTLY identifying Google with Android and online services as the biggest competitor in the markets where it wants to expand, so it's natural that it puts more resources to fight it and less to fight Sony than in the recent past. But as gaming is an important part of PC and Mobile markets too, and XB360 and XBL are profitable, surely MS won't ever quit it, it will just concentrate less on XB exclusives and more on multiplats (obviously excluding competing console and mobile platforms, except maybe Apple ones, that MS correctly doesn't see as a threat, as as huge as it may become, Apple always sticks to its closed environment, that has some overlapping with competitors in the high end, but never deliberately clashes with them).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Lyrikalstylez said:
True points OP but why isnt this thread locked? its a blatant attack

We only lock positive MS news