By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Should Quit The Gaming Biz

KylieDog said:
walsufnir said:
KylieDog said:
Mr Puggsly said:
KylieDog said:
Otakumegane said:
No, I think we need a way for Western gaming presence to bloom. Japan only consoles is dull and boring.

Part of the reason why shooters and WRPGs became so successful this gen was because of the success of the 360.

The popularity of shooters is due to online MP, and WRPGs aren't anymore popular than before.

There was online MP last gen as well, but MS made online gaming more mainstream with the 360.

Before the 360, WRPGs were primarily a popular PC genre. But now they've become a very popular console genre. All those sales combined tells me the genre has become more popular.

There is nothing 360 has done for online MP PS3 also has not done.

As for WRPGs, anything worth mentioning is on PS3 also, so again, nothing to praise 360 alone for.

So the whole online gaming experience we have now would be exact the same without 360?

You're changing argument.

Point is that MS pioneered online, and Sony followed suit.....slowly. Year after year PSN had to crawl to where Live is today and still doesnt have the same ease and firend connectivity features.

PS3 only did what it did because they saw the success in MS's approach.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
C0LINx said:

And my point really is that they haven't contributed much to gaming and if these upcoming rumors are true of an always online xbox, that is just even worse. 

Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about being always connected? People keep mentioning this like it's the end of everything good in the world. My 360 already is always connected, just like my cell phone, computer, tablet, cable box, etc. Isn't this the natural evolution of consoles? Everyone seems to act as if being always connected is a limiting factor... if my PC wasn't always connected, it would be a pain. A living room console isn't portable, it's not like there's some huge devastating down side to having instant access to online content and mutiplayer...

All 3 consoles add something to the gaming industry, I hope none of them will exit. I do wish that Microsoft had bought Sega back in the day, instead of creating their own console, but the only thing I'm really upset with Microsoft with is that they arguably ruined Rare.

Something...Something...Games...Something

The industry need the competition, but the way its sounding, seems like Microsoft already left he gaming business years ago. Which explain why they haven't had any new exclusive lately.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Suke said:
The industry need the competition, but the way its sounding, seems like Microsoft already left he gaming business years ago. Which explain why they haven't had any new exclusive lately.

Halo 4 released last November. Gears Judgement released a couple weeks ago. Battleblock Theatre just recently on XBLA. They aren't as barren as people like to think, especially if you factor in XBLA. Keep in mind they have pretty much diverted all resources to the next generation, especially with the half dozen developers that they bought over the last 2 years.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Jereel Hunter said:
mutantclown said:

2. And Nintendo would have said No, too? nonsense. 

3. That's a 2008 article. The PS2 kept selling many more millions, and the PS3 became profitable. Again, poor sources, sorry, but that's total BS. Again, why don't we have a 720 already? according to your logic we should have it by now just like the PS3 came when the PS2 was in "pure profit region". You're just backtracking here, sorry, but it's also total BS.

4. I don't care about who loves Kinect, my point is not an opinion, it's a fact very evident in the kind of shovelware it supports.

2. The Wii and the PS3 aren't in the same league. Without MS, Sony wouldn't have needed to match the Wii. Netflix is a great feature, but it hardly makes the Wii a media box. Sony would NOT have to follow suit to compete with it.

3. Yes, it's a 2008 article, and the PS3 was $3 Billion in the hole. Sony's financials are available to look at publicly - The entire division the PS3 is part of hasn't made $3 Billion in profit since 2008, let alone the PS3. It's not poor sources, you have google. Look up anything you want - what I stated is well known FACT. You can even look at past threads here - noone that knows anything about the financials of the gaming industry thinks the PS3 is a long term financial success.

And let me break down what I said, and make it a little simpler - Neither company wanted to be the first to release the next console early in the generation. Both Sony and MS intended to win the generation, both in sales and profit, and thus stated their machine would have the longest lifespan, and that the OTHER would release their next system first. In the end though, Sony preferred to have the advantage of releasing their next system first.

And clearly this situation is different for Microsoft than the PS3 was in PS2 days. Sony was forced to release their PS3 - the 360 had already been out for months and sold millions of copies. The PS2 was in a very profitable place, but their competitor was gobbling up the "next gen" marketshare and mindshare. They couldn't afford to release later than they did.

4. Every platform "supports" shovelware. There's shovelware for the move, for the Wii, on PSN, on XBLA. It seems to cluster any games that target young kids along with that though, because there are some solid, fun kinect games that kids love. It may not have any valid harcore implications at present, but that doesn't mean it's incapable of delivering a quality product for it's target audience.

2. That's your appreciation, and I disagree because it sounds like nonsense. Netflix was getting big, they would have approached Wii and PS3 both.

3.  Well known and "easy"to google it? You're the one making the claims so you provide the source and confirmation or I'm going to call it BS forever.

4. Well, I will have to see a single game that could point to Kinect being useful as the main interface for any real game. And after that, more games that would actually prove it as a viable interface for "core" games.

Talal said:
This thread can't end well.

Actually, if you focus on the website it coming from being eskimopress.com, it can end well with a bunch of Alaska references and revival of references to Sarah Palin.  Have it go viral, and it ends REAL well.  Also, the writer of the girl either looks like a Muslim woman or a Ninja, and confusing both can lead to other bruhahah stuff.