By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Housing! USA vs UK!

difference is, when there is a little storm, the uk house doesn't fly away with the storm

i mean, there is a reason why it costs so much more to build a house in some european countries and one reason is the material they use for it (and also the quality of the insulation and stuff)

it's like you compare a ferrari engine with a engine build in a renault and wonder why the ferrari engine costs more.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:

I canada, you get bigger houses and newer ones for third of the price...

no one wants to live in canada though , I don't know why.

You can't trick us with those camouflage igloos. We know what you live in.

OT: Those houses look like they'd be worth 1/2 to 2/3 the price they're listed at. Location is a huge factor on price, however, so that's likely why they're so expensive.

Our houses aren't actually as small as they look. My fiancee lives in the US right now and her house is tiny compared with ours and I live in a modest 3 bedroom semi detached house in the North. Value probably about £120,000?

Her house is worth more, made of toy materials and nowhere near as nicely decorated/equipped. (we have double glazing, central heating etc).

I think UK wins on the house front from my limited experience of US homes. But I benefit from an older build house with much better sound proofing etc than newer builds tend to have.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Like wfz said, it's about location more than anything.

You can pull a mansion for $1.5 million in the woods or a shanty on the beach.
An NYC 600 sq ft apartment for $900 a month or 20 miles outside the city for $300.

I will say that prices in the US fell drastically when the bubble burst in the real estate market. Is the UK heading for a similar collapse?

MikeRox said:
Our houses aren't actually as small as they look. My fiancee lives in the US right now and her house is tiny compared with ours and I live in a modest 3 bedroom semi detached house in the North. Value probably about £120,000?

Her house is worth more, made of toy materials and nowhere near as nicely decorated/equipped. (we have double glazing, central heating etc).

I think UK wins on the house front from my limited experience of US homes. But I benefit from an older build house with much better sound proofing etc than newer builds tend to have.

£120k for a 3 bed semi?? Unless you are living in rural yorkshire, change the 1 to a 2, and you are probably closer to the value. 

The UK miserably fails on the housing front because of it's shitty, shitty size. What is considered ghetto housing in the states is merely called a "modest terrace" over here. Sure I picked some premium areas, but if you go to somewhere like Arizona, for £200k enjoy a double garage, detached property with 3 bathrooms, one being bigger than most master bedrooms in the UK...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1735-Wood-Vista-Pl_Round-Rock_TX_78665_M88875-35889?ex=TX562465263

The only major issue I have with that place is all the windows could do with being x2 the size, maybe even x3, as the interior is far too dark. But at that price...the fuuu..£175k

dsgrue3 said:
I will say that prices in the US fell drastically when the bubble burst in the real estate market. Is the UK heading for a similar collapse?

Nope. Housing prices have been constantly increasing since the 70's due to a lack of space and too many people. We need a good old plague here. 

Around the Network
thranx said:
PullusPardus said:

its one of the places i would move to if I ever left the us. How is their stance on marijuana?

Vancouver is infamous for marijuana.  Not that it's legal, but the government allows medical usage and a LOT of it is grown here both legally and illegally.  We even have a Marijuana Party running for office.  But Vancouver and Toronto are very expensive places to live (seriously, GP thinks no one wants to live in Canada?).  Good luck finding a house here for under $1,000,000.

wfz said:
PullusPardus said:

You can't trick us with those camouflage igloos. We know what you live in.

OT: Those houses look like they'd be worth 1/2 to 2/3 the price they're listed at. Location is a huge factor on price, however, so that's likely why they're so expensive.

I'm not canadian actually, never been to canada, but I know the prices well from friends and online.

Yeah it's all about location. 3 car, 5 bedroom, no basement houses go for a million plus on one side of the street in my neighborhood and are only $200,000 on the other side.

LMAO, OP house prices are largely based on where the house is, not what the house looks like.

2 bedroom flat middle of london in nice area = millions
2 bedroom flat middle of newcastle in nice area = less than 50 thousand.

Both are cities, one's a shit hole (sorry, I just came back from newcastle....my god!)

Mazty said:
MikeRox said:

£120k for a 3 bed semi?? Unless you are living in rural yorkshire, change the 1 to a 2, and you are probably closer to the value. 

The UK miserably fails on the housing front because of it's shitty, shitty size. What is considered ghetto housing in the states is merely called a "modest terrace" over here. Sure I picked some premium areas, but if you go to somewhere like Arizona, for £200k enjoy a double garage, detached property with 3 bathrooms, one being bigger than most master bedrooms in the UK...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1735-Wood-Vista-Pl_Round-Rock_TX_78665_M88875-35889?ex=TX562465263

The only major issue I have with that place is all the windows could do with being x2 the size, maybe even x3, as the interior is far too dark. But at that price...the fuuu..£175k

i don't think a ghetto house in usa has the qality like the house in uk just because they have the same size. heck, even a 1 million dollar house in usa has horrible build quality most of the time. it's quality vs. quantity (size) in different countries.