By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Housing! USA vs UK!

Mazty said:
MikeRox said:
Our houses aren't actually as small as they look. My fiancee lives in the US right now and her house is tiny compared with ours and I live in a modest 3 bedroom semi detached house in the North. Value probably about £120,000?

Her house is worth more, made of toy materials and nowhere near as nicely decorated/equipped. (we have double glazing, central heating etc).

I think UK wins on the house front from my limited experience of US homes. But I benefit from an older build house with much better sound proofing etc than newer builds tend to have.

£120k for a 3 bed semi?? Unless you are living in rural yorkshire, change the 1 to a 2, and you are probably closer to the value. 

The UK miserably fails on the housing front because of it's shitty, shitty size. What is considered ghetto housing in the states is merely called a "modest terrace" over here. Sure I picked some premium areas, but if you go to somewhere like Arizona, for £200k enjoy a double garage, detached property with 3 bathrooms, one being bigger than most master bedrooms in the UK...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1735-Wood-Vista-Pl_Round-Rock_TX_78665_M88875-35889?ex=TX562465263

The only major issue I have with that place is all the windows could do with being x2 the size, maybe even x3, as the interior is far too dark. But at that price...the fuuu..£175k

dsgrue3 said:
I will say that prices in the US fell drastically when the bubble burst in the real estate market. Is the UK heading for a similar collapse?

Nope. Housing prices have been constantly increasing since the 70's due to a lack of space and too many people. We need a good old plague here. 

Rubbish, house prices have flatlined or decreased since 2004.

Much less houses are being sold because the owners aren't really that bothered about moving and chance their valuations at stupid prices that don't represent the market value that a valuer would have assigned to it.

That's the real situation, house prices have decreased it's just the people selling them have them on the market for years at the same price as they were in 2004 and are too fucking stupid to realize nobody's going to buy the damn thing.

(swearing needed to convey just how stupid these idiots are)

Trust me I know, I own a few places myself and the only way to get a good deal in anywhere that isn't a run down area is through a reposession or being extremely lucky to find some old biddey who's off to an old folks home.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
Mazty said:
MikeRox said:
Our houses aren't actually as small as they look. My fiancee lives in the US right now and her house is tiny compared with ours and I live in a modest 3 bedroom semi detached house in the North. Value probably about £120,000?

Her house is worth more, made of toy materials and nowhere near as nicely decorated/equipped. (we have double glazing, central heating etc).

I think UK wins on the house front from my limited experience of US homes. But I benefit from an older build house with much better sound proofing etc than newer builds tend to have.

£120k for a 3 bed semi?? Unless you are living in rural yorkshire, change the 1 to a 2, and you are probably closer to the value. 

The UK miserably fails on the housing front because of it's shitty, shitty size. What is considered ghetto housing in the states is merely called a "modest terrace" over here. Sure I picked some premium areas, but if you go to somewhere like Arizona, for £200k enjoy a double garage, detached property with 3 bathrooms, one being bigger than most master bedrooms in the UK...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1735-Wood-Vista-Pl_Round-Rock_TX_78665_M88875-35889?ex=TX562465263

The only major issue I have with that place is all the windows could do with being x2 the size, maybe even x3, as the interior is far too dark. But at that price...the fuuu..£175k

i don't think a ghetto house in usa has the qality like the house in uk just because they have the same size. heck, even a 1 million dollar house in usa has horrible build quality most of the time. it's quality vs. quantity (size) in different countries.

When I stayed in a large house in the US the build quality was no different from modern UK builds. Difference was one had balconies, ensuite bathrooms for all 4 bedrooms, a kitchen bigger than most bedrooms and a hot tub.

fillet said:
LMAO, OP house prices are largely based on where the house is, not what the house looks like.

2 bedroom flat middle of london in nice area = millions
2 bedroom flat middle of newcastle in nice area = less than 50 thousand.

Both are cities, one's a shit hole (sorry, I just came back from newcastle....my god!)

Where did I say it was about image? I didn't; I gave the estate agent links ffs. Don't try to play down my OP by misreading it please.

Why is Newcastle bad? Where did you go? The Sandyford and Jesmond areas are fine. Also you are forgetting that for a 2 bedroom flat in London you could get a luxury 20th floor apartment on the coast of Miami.....Now why on earth would anyone want a tiny apartment in a wet, depressing city over a sun-kissed city?

Mazty said:

When I stayed in a large house in the US the build quality was no different from modern UK builds. Difference was one had balconies, ensuite bathrooms for all 4 bedrooms, a kitchen bigger than most bedrooms and a hot tub.

most usa houses are wood-framed houses with a lot of drywalls, plywood and cheap windows. it's up to you if you care about that or not but as long as a house in uk is build like in germany (i think so) it's build quality vs. size.

In my area of upstate NY 1 and 2 would be around 250-300k. The last one would be closer to 150k.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
Mazty said:

most usa houses are wood-framed houses with a lot of drywalls, plywood and cheap windows. it's up to you if you care about that or not but as long as a house in uk is build like in germany (i think so) it's quality vs. size.

Other than the exterior walls, you just described the modern british house. 

fillet said:
Mazty said:

dsgrue3 said:
I will say that prices in the US fell drastically when the bubble burst in the real estate market. Is the UK heading for a similar collapse?

Nope. Housing prices have been constantly increasing since the 70's due to a lack of space and too many people. We need a good old plague here. 

Rubbish, house prices have flatlined or decreased since 2004.

Much less houses are being sold because the owners aren't really that bothered about moving and chance their valuations at stupid prices that don't represent the market value that a valuer would have assigned to it.

That's the real situation, house prices have decreased it's just the people selling them have them on the market for years at the same price as they were in 2004 and are too fucking stupid to realize nobody's going to buy the damn thing.

(swearing needed to convey just how stupid these idiots are)

Trust me I know, I own a few places myself and the only way to get a good deal in anywhere that isn't a run down area is through a reposession or being extremely lucky to find some old biddey who's off to an old folks home.

Nope:

For only 2 years and for a bit in the 80's did house prices decrease. 
And either way, this isn't my point. My point was what are UK houses like compared to US ones, and the answer seems to be "considerably over priced".

Mazty said:
crissindahouse said:
Mazty said:

most usa houses are wood-framed houses with a lot of drywalls, plywood and cheap windows. it's up to you if you care about that or not but as long as a house in uk is build like in germany (i think so) it's quality vs. size.

Other than the exterior walls, you just described the modern british house. 

at least you have exterior walls and not only some "fake" wall^^

but ok, then it's different to how we build here in germany (most of the time)

Mazty said:
fillet said:
LMAO, OP house prices are largely based on where the house is, not what the house looks like.

2 bedroom flat middle of london in nice area = millions
2 bedroom flat middle of newcastle in nice area = less than 50 thousand.

Both are cities, one's a shit hole (sorry, I just came back from newcastle....my god!)

Where did I say it was about image? I didn't; I gave the estate agent links ffs. Don't try to play down my OP by misreading it please.

Why is Newcastle bad? Where did you go? The Sandyford and Jesmond areas are fine. Also you are forgetting that for a 2 bedroom flat in London you could get a luxury 20th floor apartment on the coast of Miami.....Now why on earth would anyone want a tiny apartment in a wet, depressing city over a sun-kissed city?

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't having a go mate :)

I just thought you weren't aware it's "location, location, location", there's a even a tv show by that name as I'm sure you know :)

I agree with what you're saying, just pointing it out that's all. On the subject of newcastle, I'm more referring to the overall wealth of the area. The city centre of newcastle is run down to hell and back, when I was there I saw some old bint in a horse and cart masquerading as a fortune teller in the actual centre of the city, a CEX next to her cart and a McDonalds...wasn't any department store in sight!!! The strip clubs aren't bad but there commerical premises after commerical premises all boarded up basically wherever you go.

I know parts of london are like that (and worse!) but not the centre. Centres of citties, even in the worst areas are traditionally high end affairs. Was just saying that in those areas you're still close to places that cost a lot to live and "connected". Newcastle and the north east in general is only connected to itself.

I'm not some posh snob southerner, don't get me wrong!

crissindahouse said:

difference is, when there is a little storm, the uk house doesn't fly away with the storm

i mean, there is a reason why it costs so much more to build a house in some european countries and one reason is the material they use for it (and also the quality of the insulation and stuff)

it's like you compare a ferrari engine with a engine build in a renault and wonder why the ferrari engine costs more.

How about a hurricane? I wonder how'd they hold up.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I will sign the contract for a new building site with 1,115 m² (12,000 ft²) in the next 2 weeks.
That is pretty cheap for the area it is in. I will pay 80k Euros for it (103k USD). In a couple of years I will try to build this house on it:

That will be another 200k Euros (260k USD) I think.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...