By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Housing! USA vs UK!

Land cost is much higher in the UK because population density is higher and because of 'green belt' laws stopping new builds.

First time buyers can't afford anything, especially in the South where all the jobs are (near London).

That said I live in a house built in 1935, which is common for this area. It's still standing, functional, and warm. The house we lived in when I was in Texas was brand new on moving in yet was letting BIG spiders and even snakes in after 5 years because it was made out of cardboard on a wood frame instead of real bricks.

Around the Network

In the USA you live in larger houses than us in the UK, but ours on average cost more and there are very few made of wood here!

PullusPardus said:

I canada, you get bigger houses and newer ones for third of the price...

no one wants to live in canada though , I don't know why.

I am pretty sure alot of people want to  but  the US prevents people from going there (I suppose) and usually immigrants have to have a ton of cash and have to tripple the money within a year or so  (not exactly but you get the point)

While  being dumb and a society parasite is enough for everyone to live in most of europe  lol  (not exactly but again you get the point)

It's only really London and the major cities, that's like this. A 4 bedroom can cost up to £1 million in the city, but it is much cheaper in the countryside and houses are bigger too. I think about £300,000 to £400,000. It depends on the area really.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Having visited both countries, the reason why US houses are cheaper are because they aren't built that well compared to old houses.Most houses in the cold parts of Europe would have double glazed windows more insulation and most likely built out of brick or double brick wall and not crappy brick vainer, which is half a brick wide for some houses (pathetic that they cant even use a full size brick to try and save costs).

In Australia, modern houses are built more like American houses, however they come with the UK price tag LOL.

Around the Network

Sorry, but how the hell are those homes worth that much, it's insane. Or you're trying to mess with people with this.

Mazty said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Those house don't look that nice for those prices.

If you had to put a value on those houses, as if they were magically kicked across the atlantic and landed outside your house/in your general neighbourhood a) what price would you expect to see them at and b)and a scale of Bronx to bel Air, where would they fall?

200k to 300k at the most and I would say a old middle class neighborhood 

Where I live I wouldn't pay more than $300,000 for any of those properties. And that's being generous.

I live in rural Ohio. Those prices are a joke.

I can build a 4,000 square foot mansion for half of those prices.

Here's a 7,000 square foot house in my town for ~$450,000 USD: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/130-Sylvan-Ct_Circleville_OH_43113_M35022-37149?ex=OH549960133

It's been on market for a year because its too expensive. I'm sure those prices may be reasonable in London or somewhere that you have to pay lots of money for things, but where I live, those prices are a joke.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

As an Englishman, I remember being quite confused seeing the movie Boyz N Tha Hood for the first time - the houses look really nice and massive with generous gardens and it's set in a ghetto area = doesn't make sense to us.

The surface area of the average American living room appears to be bigger than my house and I live in a "good" area. It's all about high population combined with small surface area of the UK.

I've really enjoyed visiting America twice and can confirm the houses look amazing and every time I have eaten in a restraunt the food has been consistently excellent. Have to big up the USA for that!

Too much planning, and you'll never get anything done.

Karl Pilkington.