By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Did Xbox 360 Fail in Japan?

kain_kusanagi said:
Mr Puggsly said:
scottie said:
Hahaha, ok, I want to throw this out there for all VGChartzers.

If a 'journalists' cares so little about the truth about sales figures that they don't even look at VGChartz or any other source, then please do not link to them on VGChartz.

Wii NA sales = 44.5M
360 NA sales = 42.6

Dominating means coming 2nd now?

Do not give traffic to this moron.

You know we like pretend Wii doesn't exist.

Watch the same thing happen with the Wii U. If most people don't think of it as part of the next gen club it doesn't matter how much it contributes to the party.

Well the Wii U likely won't dominate this gen. So that'll make pretending it doesn't exist easier.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
theprof00 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

I have a college buddy who's native Japanese and lives near Tokyo. I asked him once why Japanese gamers don't play Xbox. He told me straight up that the Japanese pretty much consider western games to be garbage. He said video game stores stock western games in bins labeled "foriegn shit".

Can you imagine that happening in the USA? Of course not. We love Japanese games as well as games from any country. How is it that western games like Halo can be so popular in evey part of the world EXCEPT Japan? While in college my Japanese friend played Halo with us. He wasn't good at first but he got better and loved it. But he was the type that wanted to try American things and see as much of the USA before going back. From what he's told me I don't think he represents the majority of Japan. The majority seem to agree with how Keiji Inafune so gently puts it. They don't want it if it isn't Japanese. Hopefully one day they will open their hearts to the amazing games that they are missing. Untill then MS will just have to bite the bullet and continue to futily support the Japanese market so they can secure the best Japanese games for the rest of the world.

So, in your opinion, Japanese did not support Xbox because the xbox did not have enough japanese games, right? So then what's so perplexing about Japanese gamers? Think about it like football and soccer. Football sells better in American and Soccer in Europe. Why would you put a console out in Europe and expect people to buy football games? Why would you even think this is narrow minded?

Tell me, do you play games like monster-hunter, bullet-hell games like ikaruga or perfect cherry blossom, dragon quest, final fantasy, hot shots games? How about visual novels? Little Busters? Tsukihime? Touhou? What about DBZ, One Piece, Pokemon, Animal Crossing? Do you play any of these?

EDIT: Just noticed this line "We love Japanese games as well as games from any country". Umm no. We like what suits our TASTE - no matter where it's from.

No, what I find perplexing is that the Japanese are the only major gaming market that turns their nose at the great games that the rest of the world loves.

For your information I do like some of the games you listed as well as anime and manga. I own Ikaruga on Dreamcast and several Final Fantasy games as well as countless other Japanese published games. I have yet to play Monster Hunter, but I plan to get one to try out. It looks cool. I'd say I probalby own more Japanese developed games and other media than western stuff, with the exception of Hollywood films. I own more manga than comics. I own more anime than cartoons. I own more Japanese games than Western games.

My Japanese friend and Keiji Inafune seem to agree that you will have a hard time finding a Japanese gamer counterpart to a gamer like me. For pete's sake, the dump awsome games like Halo and Assassin's Creed into bins labled "foreign shit".

Of course there is going to be differences in taste. But good games should sell anywhere gamers guy good games. Japanese gamers don't want it if it's foriegn, they don't give it a chance. There's a difference between playing a game and not caring for it and refusing to play it because it's foriegn.

How is it perplexing ? They have a totally different culture. Prety obvious to me.

kain_kusanagi said:
theprof00 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Yet that's is not how my Japanese college friend describes it.

Your sports analogy isn't as accuret many would assume. Every sport has it's region. Soccer is more popular outside of the USA, but it really is the only sport that has world wide fanship. Most sports are as tied to their culture of origin as brands of beer. But we are talking about a ball game. Reduce soccor down to it's basics and it sounds a lot like football's basics. Get the ball to the other side of the field. In that regard sports games are popular everywhere.

Video games should appeal universaly in Japan like they do in the rest of the world. Why are the Japanese the only ones that don't want to play the rest of the world's games? My Japanese friend and the respected gaming industry veteran Keiji Inafune agree. The Japanese don't want to play foriegn games because they only want stuff made in Japan.

It took a decade for Japan to catch on to what the rest of world was enjoying in Apple's iPhone. But it finaly happened. Maybe the Nextbox will be able to do what Apple finaly did. I don't know. The Japanese have to be willing to try something new and keep an open mind to having fun regardless of the products country of origin. Keiji Inafune seems to think that it will be a difficult mountain to climb even though he likes the Xbox and enjoyed western games himself. He knows Japanese culture and he believes they aren't buying the stellar western games because they aren't Japanese.

Well, I don't know why you are jut writing off my soccer vs football example, or the link with photos of a japanese video game store aisles...

but moving on, if I were just to simply accept that your friend and keiji know better than everyone else, then MS just needs to make Japanese games and secure more Japanese software. MS knew this from the beginning, and really just barely tried.

Regarding Apple's Ipod, you REALLY need to read up on Japan mate. Japan has had cheap smart-phone-like phones for a good ten years before iphone. Iphone coming out wsn't like it was here, with fanfare and gasps and holy shit. It was like "ok this phone is made by apple and can do more than other phones but is more expensive". Dude, even new features that samsung shows us with galaxy have been on phones in Japan for over a decade. I'm not saying Japan had iphone and galaxy 10 years ago, but I'm clarifying for you that there is a stark difference between our market and theirs and you should stop imagining they are the same. Iphone here was revolutionary. Iphone there was just business as usual, but more expensive, and less pretty.

I'm not writing your example off. I just don't agree that it applies. As for the photo I'm not disputing it I'm just taking my friend and Keiji Inafune at their word. They say Japan doesn't want western "shit" and from what I've seen they are right.

You say MS should make the games that the Japanese want. That's true. MS did secure tons of Japanese games and many of them were exclusive or timed exclusive. It didn't help.

I say the Japanese as a whole need to be more like my friend and Keiji Inafune. They need to open their mind and try new things. The rest of the world can't be wrong about great games. If the west can enjoy Japanese style than the Japanese can enjoy western style if they would just give it a chance.

You want MS to change for the Japanese. You're right, that what they've attempted and I'm sure they will keep doing and building on. I don't think it will matter unless the Japanese can get past their foreign product issues. I want the Japanese to change so they will enjoy western stuff as much as I enjoy Japanese stuff. If MS bought up Japanese studios and put out tons of native Japanese 1st party games I'm sure they would be more successfull in Japan. But he problem would still excist that the Japanese won't even consider playing western games.

But this is the problem with what I consider ou writing off counter-examples. MS did NOT secure tons of Japanese games. They got:
Lost Odyssey (praised by famitsu)
Eternal Sonata (which sold better than the ps3 version)
Enchanted Arms (which was panned)
Blue Dragon (which was called so-so)
Resonance of Fate (mixed reviews)
Last Remnant (praised by famitsu sold 600k)
Infinite Undiscovery
Star Ocean
Tales of Vesperia

When the 360 was getting these games it was doing ok. You forget that even ps3 was only selling around 15k for a long time in Japan, and dropped to 8 many times. http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php?reg=Japan&ending=Weekly

Look at the graphs. The PS3 didn't crush 360 when the 360 had games. But when was the last time MS really attempted to secure games? Last remnant was 2009, I think.

Meanwhile, PS3 was getting EVERY SINGLE GAME and making plenty of their own. SCEJ this gen has made more games than the whole list above.

I just think you're sidestepping the evidence that I'm presenting.

And what you're asking is for Americans to start enjoying FIFA games. Look, Sony makes plenty of western games. Why don't the Japanese buy them? Because the culture Kain. The culture fundamentally doesn't enjoy toting guns first person style. They literally buy any other type of game. They like platformers, adventure games, puzzlers, sports, jrpg, wrpg (depending on the title. They love Warcraft).

The only thing they don't like is fps. Jrpgs don't sell like fps games do over here, so why do you expect THEM to change their tastes just because YOU have good taste??

slowmo said:
I hate negative threads like this, the better question is what could they have done to sell more and I don't really see anything other than opening a huge Japanese studio but I doubt that would have made any difference either this gen. Maybe the growth is enough to give them presence to not be insignificant in the region next gen.

If opening a studio is too much effort for MS, then MS made the right choice.

They will continue to be insignificant in Japan if they cannot secure game after game after game for Japan. What's worse is that next gen, people will have learned that 360 exclusives just come to ps3 at some point or another.

I think that is because PS3 has more exclusive games for the japanese audience.

Around the Network
Somini said:
ethomaz said:
I guess is more like there are no other option for Apple in Japan... for 360 you have PS3 and Wii.

No option for Apple? Sony, Samsung and a gazillion other companies would like to have a word with you :P

is a korean compainy lol

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

hikaruchan said:
Somini said:
ethomaz said:
I guess is more like there are no other option for Apple in Japan... for 360 you have PS3 and Wii.

No option for Apple? Sony, Samsung and a gazillion other companies would like to have a word with you :P

is a korean compainy lol

The Japanese cant stand Koreans.

kain_kusanagi said:
Mr Puggsly said:
scottie said:
Hahaha, ok, I want to throw this out there for all VGChartzers.

If a 'journalists' cares so little about the truth about sales figures that they don't even look at VGChartz or any other source, then please do not link to them on VGChartz.

Wii NA sales = 44.5M
360 NA sales = 42.6

Dominating means coming 2nd now?

Do not give traffic to this moron.

You know we like pretend Wii doesn't exist.

Watch the same thing happen with the Wii U. If most people don't think of it as part of the next gen club it doesn't matter how much it contributes to the party.

The wii is a different market than 360 and ps3. So yeah, we ignore it. Thats part of the genius of nintendo, love the wii or hate it, but they created a market that didnt exist before. However for the "hardcore"(lack of better term) wii and nintendo is no longer part of the conversation. 

Deyon said:

Found this on another site. I'm posting it because it has some very good points and reasons to why Xbox360 failed in japan.

Issue of trust due to Microsoft's lack of and how fast it stopped support for Japan on the original Xbox;
Failure rate, RROD added to the untrustworthiness of the already bad Xbox brand;
360 was also known for scratching up disks and bad support;
Having to constantly pay for online for something that is free on PS3, yet support on content is lacking compared to the west;
Constantly paying for online does not suit the majority of the gaming audience in Japan ie students;
Having to over pay for expensive proprietary add-ons like harddrives and HD-DVD drive;
Lack of games of interest;
A few RPG's were good but the support soon stopped just like the original Xbox, as predicted;
Bonus of Blu-ray and future proofing;
All the exclusives eventually went to PS3 and had more content;
Kinect doesn't work in 90% of Japanese homes; XXXX
Don't blame this on patriotism at a country full of iphones and foreign products, you simply made a worse product XXX

IGN can suck my left nut

This makes more sense than just the 'domestic thing which isn't an excuse. Why do Nintendo products hitherto sell in US and Europe?

Some of them listed above already been discussed over and over again and should be considered as the real causes for failure.

EDIT:  Lack of other timed exclusives similar to Star Ocean: The Last hope. Softwares that matter the most plays a  great role in the hardware success. PS3 is doing well in that department. MSFT simply need to learn from Sony.