By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Did Xbox 360 Fail in Japan?

enditall727 said:
I didn't read through the thread let me tell you why the 360 "failed"

ok when gong after a market you have to basically understand that market and target what that market likes. Not only that but you have to target THE most popular games in that region

The top games in Japan coming off ps2 were games like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo and Hot Shots Golf

So basically Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were their only true ways of ever getting success in Japan.

they also would've needed to convince the japanese market why they should buy thier favorite games on the Xbox instead of on PlayStation

Look at America for a second and you will see that M$ went for the top game in that region which was GTA and they also gave the America crown a reason to buy it on Xbox instead of Playstation(getting exclusive content 1st) I still cant believe Sony let that happen SMH. Halo and the rising success of COD(also getting exclusive content 1st) helped solidify their dominance in the American region.

there was no Dragon Quest made so they really only had Final Fantasy to go after. They did get Final Fantasy but you can clearly see that Sony caught on and they made sure that Final Fantasy released 1st on PlayStation. Even if it didn't nobody would've bought t on Xbox over there because there would be no reason. There would've been no reason to buy it on Xbox instead of Playstation

They also had Xbox Live in the way of things over there. they dont play shooters so the only games they would really play online was so maybe something like Dark Souls. Now why would a Japanese person get a game like that on Xbox when they can get it on their already favorite console that has FREE online?

They will probably never penetrate that market now that Sony seems to have caught on to that M$ strategy

Lol, you really have to go out of your way to type a $ for the S in MS every time. Do you do the same for Sony ($ony)? Somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, you are right that MS was unable to convince the Japanese to switch over or even try the Xbox. But I think you too quickly dismissed what Keiji Inafune said. Even if MS had been able to give the Japanese everything they want, Keiji Inafune is saying that the Japanese just want Japanese products. The Xbox brand is American and the Japanese don't want an American console in their living room.

That's an uphill battle that MS can't win unless the Japanese let go of their bias and try new things. MS should be thanked for working so hard to make sure everyone with Xbox 360's got to play so many Japanese games. If they had given up in Japan the Xbox 360 would not have gotten so many awsome Japanese games. Luckily MS knows that Japan is important and worth fighting for even if the Japanese refuse to give them a chance.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
enditall727 said:
I didn't read through the thread let me tell you why the 360 "failed"

ok when gong after a market you have to basically understand that market and target what that market likes. Not only that but you have to target THE most popular games in that region

The top games in Japan coming off ps2 were games like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo and Hot Shots Golf

So basically Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were their only true ways of ever getting success in Japan.

they also would've needed to convince the japanese market why they should buy thier favorite games on the Xbox instead of on PlayStation

Look at America for a second and you will see that M$ went for the top game in that region which was GTA and they also gave the America crown a reason to buy it on Xbox instead of Playstation(getting exclusive content 1st) I still cant believe Sony let that happen SMH. Halo and the rising success of COD(also getting exclusive content 1st) helped solidify their dominance in the American region.

there was no Dragon Quest made so they really only had Final Fantasy to go after. They did get Final Fantasy but you can clearly see that Sony caught on and they made sure that Final Fantasy released 1st on PlayStation. Even if it didn't nobody would've bought t on Xbox over there because there would be no reason. There would've been no reason to buy it on Xbox instead of Playstation

They also had Xbox Live in the way of things over there. they dont play shooters so the only games they would really play online was so maybe something like Dark Souls. Now why would a Japanese person get a game like that on Xbox when they can get it on their already favorite console that has FREE online?

They will probably never penetrate that market now that Sony seems to have caught on to that M$ strategy

Lol, you really have to go out of your way to type a $ for the S in MS every time. Do you do the same for Sony ($ony)? Somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, you are right that MS was unable to convince the Japanese to switch over or even try the Xbox. But I think you too quickly dismissed what Keiji Inafune said. Even if MS had been able to give the Japanese everything they want, Keiji Inafune is saying that the Japanese just want Japanese products. The Xbox brand is American and the Japanese don't want an American console in their living room.

That's an uphill battle that MS can't win unless the Japanese let go of their bias and try new things. MS should be thanked for working so hard to make sure everyone with Xbox 360's got to play so many Japanese games. If they had given up in Japan the Xbox 360 would not have gotten so many awsome Japanese games. Luckily MS knows that Japan is important and worth fighting for even if the Japanese refuse to give them a chance.

yea i do that all the time

i believe this is like the 2nd time somebody got mad at me for doing that lol is it supposed to be like an insult or someshit? why would i do that for Sony when they've lost the most money this gen?

trust me, if M$(MS) was able to get an exclusive Dragon Quest Title and Final Fantasy title on their system then they would find success and they would also need to make their online free. It's not that they dont want the American product.

Wow so much was said since this morning. And so much I agree with, too much to quote.

I agree, america is not as patriotic as it once was.

I think sega is a prime example of japan not just buying domestic for the sake of country. The later years of sega saw disgruntled fans as the company couldnt pick a direction.

lets not overlook a full year headstart to gain market share. I believe it to be the reason why ps2 outsold xbox despite the xbox having better performance (among other reasons). And the flip is also true for 360 and ps3. 360 had a full year to increase its install base. Which would even account for the boast in sales in japan. There wasnt a direct competitor yet. Obviously 360 has outsold ps3 in the states despite ps3 being the more capable system. At the end of the day timing and marketing play a big roll.

makes you think what if Xbox 360 was a success in Japan would it be near Wii sales?

I hate negative threads like this, the better question is what could they have done to sell more and I don't really see anything other than opening a huge Japanese studio but I doubt that would have made any difference either this gen. Maybe the growth is enough to give them presence to not be insignificant in the region next gen.

Around the Network

Hahaha, ok, I want to throw this out there for all VGChartzers.

If a 'journalists' cares so little about the truth about sales figures that they don't even look at VGChartz or any other source, then please do not link to them on VGChartz.

Wii NA sales = 44.5M
360 NA sales = 42.6

Dominating means coming 2nd now?

Do not give traffic to this moron.

SENTIENT6 said:

It's got nothing to do with Xbox being non japanese, Apple products and other Western products sell like hotcakes there. There is nothing on xbox that appeals to the japanese audience.

Sony makes games tailored to geographic areas and has a lot of variety, the xbox is clearly a console and company that is focused strictly on it's western roots.

This..fucking this! Microsoft offers nothing new to the market that Sony doesn't do, so the Japanese aren't impressed at all. People would buy Xboxes if the Xbox set its own standard apart from Sony. Apple started a trend with IPODs and Computers that set a standard that even the competition cannot deny and it sells just fine in Japan. People knew from the start that if Microsoft had a similar product to Sony the Japanese are going to go with Sony. Microsofts only major push for the Japanese was in its first three years and then they gave up. Japanese companies know to stay Sony because Microsoft offers nothing different therefore the Japanese people will pick the home team.

kain_kusanagi said:

I have a college buddy who's native Japanese and lives near Tokyo. I asked him once why Japanese gamers don't play Xbox. He told me straight up that the Japanese pretty much consider western games to be garbage. He said video game stores stock western games in bins labeled "foriegn shit".

Can you imagine that happening in the USA? Of course not. We love Japanese games as well as games from any country. How is it that western games like Halo can be so popular in evey part of the world EXCEPT Japan? While in college my Japanese friend played Halo with us. He wasn't good at first but he got better and loved it. But he was the type that wanted to try American things and see as much of the USA before going back. From what he's told me I don't think he represents the majority of Japan. The majority seem to agree with how Keiji Inafune so gently puts it. They don't want it if it isn't Japanese. Hopefully one day they will open their hearts to the amazing games that they are missing. Untill then MS will just have to bite the bullet and continue to futily support the Japanese market so they can secure the best Japanese games for the rest of the world.

It doesn't matter how the Japanese feel about western games, the Japanese will buy the hardware that has the games they want. That's is how MS managed to move 360 hardware in Japan early on.

No, I can't imagine that would happen in the west because we aren't complete assholes that just play JRPGs. Clearly they lack respect. But it should be noted some western games have done pretty well in Japan.

Personally, my feelings are fuck Japan. They are not the bread and butter of home consoles. Its not a market worth spending a ton of money on. MS has focused on the west and its a more worthwhile audience because they buy more games and play more onine games (i.e. Live subsciptions).

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

scottie said:

If a 'journalists' cares so little about the truth about sales figures that they don't even look at VGChartz or any other source, then please do not link to them on VGChartz.

Wii NA sales = 44.5M
360 NA sales = 42.6

You know we like pretend Wii doesn't exist.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
scottie said:

Wii NA sales = 44.5M
360 NA sales = 42.6

You know we like pretend Wii doesn't exist.

Watch the same thing happen with the Wii U. If most people don't think of it as part of the next gen club it doesn't matter how much it contributes to the party.