By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NVIDIA: PS4 GPU 3x less powerful than Titan, but more powerful than Xbox 720

PS360 had high-end GPUs for 2005-2006, but next gen will start with a powerless hardware compared to the current pattern.

Around the Network

While of course Nvidia is bitter and slightly wrong (the PS3 was definitely more powerful than the 360), I think there is nearly a valid point

At the moment, the consoles represent very good value for money, but I am not sure that they will be able to stay ahead all generation, especially with attacks from both PC and from tablets.

Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:

Wow, nvidia is really obsessed with the PS4, aren't they?

mmh, doubtful. they deliver a lot of chips to smartphones and they are trying to expand this business. i think there is a lot more money to make with tegra than amd does with ps4 (and nextbox, of course).

What is there to be doubtful about? Nvidia has been dissing the next generation of consoles for months now. It's clear that they're very salty.

I remember they said that nextgen is already outdated - there is more powerful hardware already available. As a company this is just usual business, that's all. They want PC-guys to pay for "the way it's meant to be played". Nothing more, nothing less.

twilight_link said:

mid-end gaming PC now (months before its launch), low-end gaming PC in few years, platform flushed with horrible looking ports of PC games mostly with bad frame rate and or low resolution.

The PS4 buzz stinks with Vita type fiasco, platform hyped by many bought by few.

Steam Box if done properly can wipe the floor with PS4

Low resolution? The PS4 runs game in a native 1080P. ALL consumer TVs that don't cost an arm and a leg(the 4K ones) maximum resolutions are 1080P. Console gaming is mean to be done on a TV, not on a computer monitor, where you can buy monitors with better resolutions than that. So as it stands, 1080P is the highest mainstream resolution available right now, why would they aim for something higher, and since WHEN did 1080P become low resolution gaming? You're not even a good hater, because good haters at least try to make sense. And let's not pretend that PC doesn't get shitty ports either, because it happens all the fucking time. 

The PS Vita had no hype outside the Internet, at all. Some of my friends never even heard of the Vita, and yet ALL of my friends know about the PS4 and are getting one. Also, if the PS3 is selling 100K a week worldwide at $250+ there's  clearly a demand for Playstation consoles. Once again, try harder.

Steam box won't wipe the floor with consoles, ever. The average gamer isn't computer literate enough for the steam box, and really the idea of upgrading your consoles when you want would confuse the fuck out of some. The steam box has NO exclusives, fuck, if I'm right then it'd be essentially like a normal gaming PC. There's no demand for it, only Valve fanboys and some PC Gamers will buy it.

Once again, try harder, improve.

twilight_link said:
fillet said:
twilight_link said:
BlueFalcon said:
twilight_link said:

mid-end gaming PC now (months before its launch), low-end gaming PC in few years, platform flushed with horrible looking ports of PC games mostly with bad frame rate and or low resolution.

The PS4 buzz stinks with Vita type fiasco, platform hyped by many bought by few.

Steam Box if done properly can wipe the floor with PS4

Considering the early rumors of PS4/720 called for a GPU of HD6670 or 7670 level of performance, PS4's GPU is actually very respectable. In this economy and financial state of Sony, consumers wouldn't be interested in a $700-1000 PS4, while Sony couldn't afford a $300 loss per each console sold. Since GTX680/7970 use 180W of power in games, those GPUs couldn't be viable, and neither could the  Titan. That leaves us with still expensive HD7950/670 or something reasonable alongside 680M/7970M/HD7870/660. NV charges stupid money for 680M while it's only 5% faster than HD7970M. HD7850/7870 deliver better price/performance than anything NV has had up until 650Ti Boost. An 1152 shader GCN part with 176GB/sec memory bandwidth is actually the best you could have gotten without the price of the console or its power consumption ballooning way above reasonable levels. The bigger dissapointment is the CPU not the GPU.

Steam box won't wipe the floor with PS4 unless it costs substantially more. Since developers will code directly to the metal on PS4, Steam Box would need a way more powerful GPU to even come close to PS4's level of graphics. There is absolutely no way that $450 GTX680 would be able to play 2017-2018 PS4 games at the same level of graphics quality/performance. 

It sounds like you hate consoles in general but don't understand how the console business works. Additionally, if consoles didn't exist, blockbuster games wouldn't be viable since PC platform alone cannot sustain development budgets of games like Bioshock Infinite, BF4, Crysis 3, etc. 

it's xbox360 scenario all over again, with some bang at the beginning and fast moral aging in few years, this time with mid-end and slightly modified off-shelf parts (the aging will be much faster this time), and no Cell for some neat tricks, so what is your point.

The console gaming no longer exist (except for Nintendo) the consoles became nothing but PC for those who are unable to properly configure gaming PC, in fact it brings nothing what makes the PC great eg true RTS and Simulators, just PC like machines for mob.

in case of SteamBox if this system brings easy usage and ability to upgrade your box, well then it can became success in the end.

The possibility are endless, in case of Playstation their 1st party output is good on paper but not so much in sales, and with hardly any other exclusive games(most are multiplatform), i think the days of PS brand are over.

Vita is great example how weak their brand actually is.

Not sure what you're on about here. You mention PS 1st party exclusives....what about PC exclusives?

Sure there's been SimCity and maybe 1 or 2 other decent high end big bugget games...

...In the last 5 YEARS.

your post is nonsense Total War series, MS Flight Simulator and much RTS and simulators in general are more or less PC exclusives, whether the game is big on budget or not is not important for quality of the game itself.

I'm really not sure what you're talking aboiut here. Of course the PC has got the RTS/Flight Sim market covered - that's a given, who would want to play a serious flight sim or RTS on a PS3 or Xbox 360 or any console without a mouse and decent joystick. Consoles were never for thos typee types of games in big numbers.

The PS3 has had way more big exclusives than the PC in a bunch of different genres, heck even the Xbox 360 counting muliplats has pretty much everything the PC has got. Don't get me wrong, I'm into RTS games myself and wouldn't want to play them anywhere else than on a computer (I'm more into computers than consoles). But your comment just sounds way too biased towards computer gaming, consoles have plenty to offer that computers don't, ease of use, accessibility, pick up and play, and then of course those games you very rarely see on a PC like Uncharted/GoW and so on.

It's not about your personal preference, or mine, which is for the most part on the computer for me too. It's about the overall demographic and that is firmly in console territory - like it, or not!

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:

mmh, doubtful. they deliver a lot of chips to smartphones and they are trying to expand this business. i think there is a lot more money to make with tegra than amd does with ps4 (and nextbox, of course).

What is there to be doubtful about? Nvidia has been dissing the next generation of consoles for months now. It's clear that they're very salty.

I remember they said that nextgen is already outdated - there is more powerful hardware already available. As a company this is just usual business, that's all. They want PC-guys to pay for "the way it's meant to be played". Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, not just that. Nvidia has been bitter about consoles for a long time now. Like when they said that the next gen of consoles will be the last. Or when they said that they let AMD have the next generation of consoles. Or when they said that the PS4 GPU equals a low-end nvidia one. And one this. All in the space of a few months? Is it usual business to make so many statements about a competitor in such a short span of time?

Prease don't buy da PS4! We haz sum great GPUs you can stick in your PC!! PRease! We needz teh moneyz!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:

Oh, not just that. Nvidia has been bitter about consoles for a long time now. Like when they said that the next gen of consoles will be the last. Or when they said that they let AMD have the next generation of consoles. Or when they said that the PS4 GPU equals a low-end nvidia one. And one this. All in the space of a few months? Is it usual business to make so many statements about a competitor in such a short span of time?

1. Yes, it is.

2. What statement isn't true? There are some which can be argued but these statements are not way off!

walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:

1. Yes, it is.

2. What statement isn't true? There are some which can be argued but these statements are not way off!

1. No, it isn't.

2. No one said it's not true. Of course, a $400-$1000 GPU is going to be more powerful than a $150 one. My point, which still stands, is about how nvidia is butthurt about being the least relevant graphics card manufacturer in gaming.

pezus said:

How would Nvidia know 720's specs? They aren't even making the GPU in it...

I was thinking the same thing. I mean unless they are going off the rumored specs. Nvidia has an axe to grind with console manufacturers at this point. AMD will be making money on every Wii U, PS4, and 720 sold. There is no doubt that the PC has the stronger hardware. The issue has always been optimization. You'll never get the most out of your PC hardware because if developers actually coded for the latest greatest graphic's card tech, they'd be eliminating 99% of their potential software sales.