By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NVIDIA: PS4 GPU 3x less powerful than Titan, but more powerful than Xbox 720

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Once again the PS4 exclusives will look graphically superior to the NexBox exclusives. The multi-platform developers usually use the least powerful system to develop for because it is more efficient and cheaper to port a lower quality build multi-platform game.

Any proof for this or just "I have a dream"? :)Before saying this I would wait until NextBox event and even then...

Around the Network

So looking at that...we can guess the PS4 will cost around $1000? I hope not!

Maybe it won't though

In seriousness, there's a lot of hate from Nvidia here. That graph is also terrible, sorry but it is.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

Maybe it won't though

The cost doesn't matter to consumers, the price will.

walsufnir said:
Conegamer said:

Maybe it won't though

That's true, but I don't see Sony making a loss on it. So if it costs around $400 to make, then that will likely mean it'll sell for around $500. Of course, we don't know enough about the system yet, but that sounds reasonable.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
walsufnir said:
Conegamer said:

Maybe it won't though

That's true, but I don't see Sony making a loss on it. So if it costs around $400 to make, then that will likely mean it'll sell for around $500. Of course, we don't know enough about the system yet, but that sounds reasonable.

Including R&D? Also I always laugh when I see cost-estimates which are somehow aligned to something "$guess mod 100 = 0" ;) Especially when psEye is also included I doubt Sony won't make any loss and don't forget that Sony will have to make sure they are not more expensive than NextBox where we know close to nothing by now, especially not the price.

Will be interesting this year! 

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Once again the PS4 exclusives will look graphically superior to the NexBox exclusives. The multi-platform developers usually use the least powerful system to develop for because it is more efficient and cheaper to port a lower quality build multi-platform game.

Any proof for this or just "I have a dream"? :)Before saying this I would wait until NextBox event and even then...

If this article is true than my statement would indeed be close to the truth. 8th generation could be a repeat of the 7th generation with the PS3/4 being more powerful than its XBox rival. The exclusives are graphically better on PS3 than the X360 and multi-platform games look the same on both systems.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
walsufnir said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

If this article is true than my statement would indeed be close to the truth. 8th generation could be a repeat of the 7th generation with the PS3/4 being more powerful than its XBox rival. The exclusives are graphically better on PS3 than the X360 and multi-platform games look the same on both systems.

Well, at least Halo 4 and Forza Horizon look extremely good - if anything looks better than games on another system is always biased - especially when games are in different genres. And most multi-plats look better on 360 given tech-analyzes but that doesn't make the games worse on ps3.

BlueFalcon said:

Titan is not 3x faster than the GPU in PS4. 1152 SPs @ 800mhz with 176GB/sec memory bandwidth is faster than HD7850 2GB.

Titan is roughly 2x faster than HD7850 @ 1080P:

But hey, what can we expect from the same company that thinks charging a $600 price premium for 30% more performance over HD7970Ghz is reasonable...

I guess NV didn't get the memo that the console has 8GB of GDDR5 and when developers code directly to the metal they extract exponential gains in efficiency/performance. I want to see a $1,000 Titan deliver playable gaming performance in a next gen 2017-2018 game that PS4 will play (i.e., Uncharted 5, etc.).

Typical NV PR for investors. I guess when your $1,000 GPU gets its ass kicked in a 2013 game like Crysis 3 (http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2013/test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan/17/), you have to start spinning after you lost designs wins for next gen consoles and all the big games like Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider and BF4 are Gaming Evolved titles.

Undoubtedly in due time, PS4 will have games that look better than Crysis 3 and looking at how the Titan chokes on Crysis 3, it won't play those games in 2017-2020 without taking a dump as it can barely get 43 fps at 1080P in 2013 game like Crysis 3.

If more and more games are optimized for AMD's GPUs and all 3 next gen consoles have AMD hardware, one can guess why NV feels threatened to put down PS4.

This.

I still wonder why people ignore the context of this document. This is not an attack on the PS4 or AMD but instead this slide was from a GDC presentation on gaming in the cloud. It's Nvidia solution to consoles and even highend cards in general.

Right now you have just about every device you can imaging able to access the internet. You already have services like Sony Giakia or OnLive. Nvidia is promoting their Grid GPU arch to provide dedicated hardware for just this purpose.

Instead of building low margin chips for the consoles, it appears that Nvidia has another solution that will be competition. It is rumored that the steambox has changed design where it was going to be a PC in a box using Nvidia hardware but now is going to be a streaming box which would make it much cheaper. The box will be able to stream your games you have on your PC and also stream from the internet.

Does it not make sense that if the box is a dedicated game streamer that the cost will be way cheaper than your current consoles. Also if using the Grid solution from Nvidia, you can have Highend PC quality games with everything turned on streamed to your TV thus providing next gen games for a fraction of the cost.

This is from Nvidia Website on the Grid tech

GaaS: FREEDOM FROM THE CONSOLE
NVIDIA GRID for Cloud Gaming

NVIDIA GRID is the foundation for the ideal on-demand gaming as a service (GaaS), providing tremendous advantages over traditional console gaming systems.

Any-device gaming: High-quality, low-latency, multi device gaming on any PC, Mac, tablet, smartphone or TV.
Click-to-play simplicity: Anytime access to a library of gaming titles and saved games in the cloud. Play or continue games from any device, anywhere.
Less hassle: No new hardware. No complicated setup. No game discs. No digital downloads. No game installations. No game patches.

So people are wondering why Nvidia isn't putting their money with the current consoles OEMs. Its not that they are butthurt or that they are scared that AMD will have some type of advantage but instead they have something they feel is competition for the space and are trying to promote their product. Freedom from publishers and OEM console makers running on a services like Steam which a lot of people already use sounds like a good market to develop your next hardware in. Maybe this is the reason Nvidia stated that their bandwidth is only so big that they cannot waste time on something that will not net enough profit at the cost of better ventures.

hikaruchan said:
Jega said:
ethomaz said:
Jega said:

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but I saw a couple times that the xbox 720 has a dual gpu.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1296739/xbox-720-release-date-specs-news-and-rumours

PROCESSOR AND GRAPHICS - updated 26/03/13

As with the PS4, the Xbox 720 looks certain to use AMD graphics hardware. VG247 reports that multiple sources have confirmed to it that the console will use two GPUs in tandem, it goes on to say that these won't be used in the usual 'CrossFire' configuration seen in PCs. We're not sure about all this as complex hardware architectures have been the failing of many consoles in the past, as a simple architecture is easier for developers to get to grips with quickly.

In any case it's the RAM that really matters if the ps4 is using 8 gigs of memory, you can bet xbox 720 will at least match that.

The dual-gpu rumor is a late 2011 already proved false... no Durango devkit had dual-gpu... about the RAM the Durango always have 8GB and Sony did match that specs.

Thanks for acknowledging my comment in the first place.

Anyway it doesn't matter which console has the most powerful hardware, what matters are the games.

I know there are fans of each console which is fine and all, but you have to truthful to yourself as a gamer,

Nothing I mean nothing that sony has on the ps3 thats exclusive turns me on to buy the machine.

About 90% of the library of both consoles are on both systems the other 10% is made up of exclusive games both psn xbox live games

and bigger retail games.

Gears of War was my game this gen not Halo, Halo was all the rave on the first xbox. Those two franchise I love and that is the reason

I bought an Xbox 360 in the first place.

People bought a Ps3 for metal gear final fantasy and Grand theft auto. God of war is popular but not as popular as those other games.

I remember everybody raving about grand theft auto on the PS2.

Microsoft with their xbox showed what games sony had rights to and which ones they didn't. I am just going to name a few franchises that people

thought were exclusive to playstation.

Ace Combat

Devil May Cry

Final Fantasy

Tekken

Metal Gear

Grand Theft Auto

etc

All those franchises are now on the Xbox, Sony tried to convince the world they are the best, but all they had was just a bigger wallet to buy developers out

to beat sega and nintendo. Xbox exposed Sony for who the really are a no games electronic company. That's all really who the sony and the playstation is.

I know alot of sony fans will be upset but it is the truth.

Sony used money to make themselves look like something they are not which is a innovative games company.

Microsoft could have wiped out playstation, but they didn't if you don't believe you don't have to.

Microsoft chose instead to compete with sony and get as much business deals done, and sony could not compete with that.

Sony has the billions to compete with microsoft but sony is not backing the playstation like microsoft is backing the xbox.

The playstation has a budget limit. The xbox has a limit but it's much larger than the budget for sony.

Basically what I am trying to say is that the games division at sony can only spend so much on playstation.

Once again fans will cry bullshit but it's the truth watch the ps4 conference and you will hear the main speaker saying how sony gave

them the go ahead to make ps4 happen.

Anyway after seeing the ps4 conference I still have no interest in playstation.

Xbox is going to do all those features and then some.

Xbox fans have Halo 5, Gears of War 4, Forza 5, Kinect 2 and couple more Key games microsoft is not ready to reveal.

Playstation 4 is going to be an amazing system, but it will not be better than the NEW XBOX.

So playstation fans you can big up the playstation 4 all you want, but don't go around saying it will be better than the NEW XBOX

Before you even see what the NEW XBOX has to offer.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR MICROSOFT TO  REVEAL THE NEW XBOX.

It's going to be like 2005 all over again except way better.

Man you sound lie a buthert Sega fanboy, that still can't get over Sega defeating themselves and the dreamcast being to ltttile to late to salvage the home hardware devision.  furthermore it is odd that smeone that would seem to be a an of Japanese games to talk up the king of the wesstern shooter microsoft and talk down sony the platform of choice for japanese games. ms is just as mutch of a non games company as sony get over yourself . 

I agree Microsoft is a not a video game company of course, but at least they didnt behave like sony did all cocky and whatnot toward sega and nintendo.

That is the difference Microsoft bought online gaming and a good developer environment and actually tried to compete with Sony not try cheap

tricks to get ahead of the competition THAT IS WHY I RESPECT MICROSOFT and will support them.