By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Most Wanted U beats PS3/360 versions

ToraReaper said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

did i say it was bad.

No, you didn't. ToraReaper did, I was referring to his post. My point is, if he considers it bad for not being as powerful as the PS4 or a high-end PC, that's fine, it's his opinion, but it doesn't make the hardware being "bad" a "fact", as he claims it is.

It is underpowered, thats what I meant by bad. Its using very primitive hardware, I'm not comparing it to PC or PS4. It's not like I'm calling is pile of shit, I DO look forward to getting one. I'm just not blind to the fact that the hardware is outdated and weak.

I still maintain that hardware not being bleeding-edge powerful doesn't necessarily make  it "bad." For instance, it's quite good in terms of energy efficiency. There's other ways to look at the "quality" of hardware besides its number-crunching grunt.

Around the Network

Curl, you have the patience of a saint my friend. Maybe they should have elected you Pope.

Darc Requiem said:
Curl, you have the patience of a saint my friend. Maybe they should have elected you Pope.

Thanks man. :) Dunno about being Pope though, my girlfriend might not be pleased with that...

Patience is something I have been trying to work on improving as I'm the kind of guy who goes bonkers when I have to wait for something. For instance, the current wait for games like Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2,  Yarn Yoshi, and X is making me want to Falcon Punch a cactus. At least I got this game, Bioshock Infinite, and Gears Judgement to keep me going...

the wiiu is under powered compared to its competition and pc, its not the hard to understand, the gpu, the memory bandwidth, amount of ram, are all extremely weak, just look how much the parts cost, if you looking to to save a 1$ on your electric bill then i guess you should be happy about the 30w.

It's plain obvious that the Wii U version destroys the X360 version to anyone actually playing the game. 'Nuff said end of converstation. Play the game and you will see the diffrence!!!!

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
the wiiu is under powered compared to its competition and pc, its not the hard to understand, the gpu, the memory bandwidth, amount of ram, are all extremely weak, just look how much the parts cost, if you looking to to save a 1$ on your electric bill then i guess you should be happy about the 30w.

It's "competition" isn't out yet. It has more than twice as much RAM as currently available consoles.

And you'll save a lot more than $1 on your electricity bill with a console that consumes less than half the power if you game a lot. I also like it when my console is small for easy portabiliy and space saving, quiet so it doesn't annoy me with a loud fan, backwards compatible so I don't have to switch consoles to play my last gen favourites, and unlikely to melt its GPU.

curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

It's "competition" isn't out yet. It has more than twice as much RAM as currently available consoles.

And you'll save a lot more than $1 on your electricity bill with a console that consumes less than half the power if you game a lot. I also like it when my console is small for easy portabiliy and space saving, quiet so it doesn't annoy me with a loud fan, backwards compatible so I don't have to switch consoles to play my last gen favourites, and unlikely to melt its GPU.

wow twice the ram then consoles that came out 7 years ago, very impressive :p, come on now, this is one of the longest generations ever, the on;y console that has good specs is ps4, while the  720 rumored specs are descent, and even i still think the ps4 should have went with a better gpu and 4 gb of ultra fast ram but the wiiu is just is extremely low specced for a console coming out in 2012.

ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

wow twice the ram then consoles that came out 7 years ago, very impressive :p, come on now, this is one of the longest generations ever, the on;y console that has good specs is ps4, while the  720 rumored specs are descent, and even i still think the ps4 should have went with a better gpu and 4 gb of ultra fast ram but the wiiu is just is extremely low specced for a console coming out in 2012.

PS3/360 are still, at present, industry standard. The Wii U isn't underpowered compared to them.

PS4, PS3, 360, and 720 are all designed as graphical monsters. The Wii U is not. It's designed to be small, quiet, cool, reliable, energy-efficient, and backwards compatible. It succeeds in what it sets out to accomplish. Power isn't the sole standard (or even the primary standard for many) by which console hardware is judged. There's more to it than that.

curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

PS3/360 are still, at present, industry standard. The Wii U isn't underpowered compared to them.

PS4, PS3, 360, and 720 are all designed as graphical monsters. The Wii U is not. It's designed to be small, quiet, cool, reliable, energy-efficient, and backwards compatible. It succeeds in what it sets out to accomplish. Power isn't the sole standard (or even the primary standard for many) by which console hardware is judged. There's more to it than that.

wiiu is suppose to be nextgen, so of course it won't be underpowered to something that came out 7 years ago, at least on par or a bit more powerful would be worst case scenerio, and looking at 720 specs, it not really a monster at all, the gpu is 1.2 gflops, and the type of memory is extremely cheap, much better then wiiu, but no where near as good  as sony's memory, they chose a middle ground, nice leap over 360, but not the leap sony is making, and even sony is not going all out.

ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

wiiu is suppose to be nextgen, so of course it won't be underpowered to something that came out 7 years ago, at least on par or a bit more powerful would be worst case scenerio, and looking at 720 specs, it not really a monster at all, the gpu is 1.2 gflops, and the type of memory is extremely cheap, much better then wiiu, but no where near as good  as sony's memory, they chose a middle ground, nice leap over 360, but not the leap sony is making, and even sony is not going all out.

But the Wii U isn't designed to be a number-crunching powerhouse like PS3/360 were. If you look at what consoles are available here and now, Wii U's not underpowered. It doesn't rival PS4 for graphics, but it isn't meant to.

The 720 has been pegged as similar in power to the PS4, albeit with a slightly more modest GPU and a cheaper memory type. Power is clearly a high priority for these consoles. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have pushed for 8GB of RAM. They're designed to be high-end graphically.

Nintendo had different priorities; they chose to focus more on things like power consumption, backwards compatibility, and size.