By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Most Wanted U beats PS3/360 versions

curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
RazorDragon said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ToraReaper said:

Wat. I didnt say anything about the Wii U except for it's hardware. I love Nintendo, but I also think its sad that they don't design more powerful hardware. The hardware is bad, its a fact, it wont stop my from buying the wii u, and this has nothing to do with my gaming preferences. 

It's not a fact, it's your opinion.

i think he meant the hardware is under powered, thats a fact.

Not really. Considering the 30W that the Wii U draws, I would actually consider it over powered based on the results it has shown graphically-wise.

my point was for a console released in 2012 its very under powererd.

Hardware being focussed on being small, cool, quiet, reliable, backwards-compatible, and power-efficient rather than bleeding-edge powerful doesn't necessarily make it "bad".

did i say it was bad.

No, you didn't. ToraReaper did, I was referring to his post. My point is, if he considers it bad for not being as powerful as the PS4 or a high-end PC, that's fine, it's his opinion, but it doesn't make the hardware being "bad" a "fact", as he claims it is.

It is underpowered, thats what I meant by bad. Its using very primitive hardware, I'm not comparing it to PC or PS4. It's not like I'm calling is pile of shit, I DO look forward to getting one. I'm just not blind to the fact that the hardware is outdated and weak.

Around the Network
ToraReaper said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
RazorDragon said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ToraReaper said:

Wat. I didnt say anything about the Wii U except for it's hardware. I love Nintendo, but I also think its sad that they don't design more powerful hardware. The hardware is bad, its a fact, it wont stop my from buying the wii u, and this has nothing to do with my gaming preferences. 

Not really. Considering the 30W that the Wii U draws, I would actually consider it over powered based on the results it has shown graphically-wise.

Hardware being focussed on being small, cool, quiet, reliable, backwards-compatible, and power-efficient rather than bleeding-edge powerful doesn't necessarily make it "bad".

did i say it was bad.

No, you didn't. ToraReaper did, I was referring to his post. My point is, if he considers it bad for not being as powerful as the PS4 or a high-end PC, that's fine, it's his opinion, but it doesn't make the hardware being "bad" a "fact", as he claims it is.

It is underpowered, thats what I meant by bad. Its using very primitive hardware, I'm not comparing it to PC or PS4. It's not like I'm calling is pile of shit, I DO look forward to getting one. I'm just not blind to the fact that the hardware is outdated and weak.

Please show me a system that will provide  similar graphical capabilities on two screems, and only draw 30W. The system is obviously not underpowered when comparing the watt usage , sure if you compare it to a gamaing PC it will be less pwerful in crunching numbers but performance per watt the Wii U is an absolute beast. Its like comparing a vespa to a ford f350. The ford is obviously much much more powerful, but does that mean the vespa is underpowered? 

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

CityOfNoobs said:
ToraReaper said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
RazorDragon said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ToraReaper said:

did i say it was bad.

Please show me a system that will provide  similar graphical capabilities on two screems, and only draw 30W. The system is obviously not underpowered when comparing the watt usage , sure if you compare it to a gamaing PC it will be less pwerful in crunching numbers but performance per watt the Wii U is an absolute beast. Its like comparing a vespa to a ford f350. The ford is obviously much much more powerful, but does that mean the vespa is underpowered? 

Hardware evolves, power consumption is irrelevant, a console is simply a box housing computer components. The components in the Wii U, sure they use low power and produce little heat, but it's very weak for modern hardware. Also a vespa isn't in the same league as a F-150. One is a scooter and the other is a work truck. They are entirely different beasts... and the vespa is underpowered, its not meant to be powerful, its just a little bike to get around town with.

Edit: I just want to let everyone know, I'm honestly no hating on nintendo, i LOVE nintendo, I just think their hardware is poor.

The Wii U is designed to be a 720p native machine, the PS4 and 720 are designed to be 1080p native machines. I think some people are going to be surprised at what the box is going to be capable of in terms of eye candy, starting with AAA first party titles and continuing with ports between the Wii U, PS4 and 720 from third parties going forward.

The 3D Mario in particular in playable form at E3 is going to 'Wow' a fair few people I think, as will Retro's new game when we eventually see it.

The GPU in particular is very capable, all you need to do is have a look at the E3 Japanese Garden tech demo that was developed in a couple of months on Alpha hardware to see that it's not a bad bit of kit.

ToraReaper said:
CityOfNoobs said:
ToraReaper said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
RazorDragon said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ToraReaper said:

did i say it was bad.

Hardware evolves, power consumption is irrelevant, a console is simply a box housing computer components. The components in the Wii U, sure they use low power and produce little heat, but it's very weak for modern hardware. Also a vespa isn't in the same league as a F-150. One is a scooter and the other is a work truck. They are entirely different beasts... and the vespa is underpowered, its not meant to be powerful, its just a little bike to get around town with.

Edit: I just want to let everyone know, I'm honestly no hating on nintendo, i LOVE nintendo, I just think their hardware is poo

@bolded 100% false, power consumption will become more and more important and has alreay begun to become a huge driving force in the market

. The rest of your comment proves my point. If you wish to say the Vespa is underpowered, than so is the F350 becuase obviously a military tank is much more powerful, and heck those tanks are pretty underpowered beauses there are some construction machines with MUCH more raw horsepower, and NASA has rockets that make those machines look like a joke...... none of these things are in the same leauge as each other and none of them are underpowered because they each do waht they were desigened to do without issue. 

An example of underpowered would be something that simply cannot do what it was designed to do. 

Who is John Galt?

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

Around the Network
CityOfNoobs said:
ToraReaper said:
CityOfNoobs said:
ToraReaper said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
RazorDragon said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ToraReaper said:

did i say it was bad.

Edit: I just want to let everyone know, I'm honestly no hating on nintendo, i LOVE nintendo, I just think their hardware is poo

@bolded 100% false, power consumption will become more and more important and has alreay begun to become a huge driving force in the market

. The rest of your comment proves my point. If you wish to say the Vespa is underpowered, than so is the F350 becuase obviously a military tank is much more powerful, and heck those tanks are pretty underpowered beauses there are some construction machines with MUCH more raw horsepower, and NASA has rockets that make those machines look like a joke...... none of these things are in the same leauge as each other and none of them are underpowered because they each do waht they were desigened to do without issue. 

An example of underpowered would be something that simply cannot do what it was designed to do. 

All video game consoles are in the same league, they are essentially media players. Power comsumption only truly matters in portable devices, if youre plugged into a wall you have so have loads of electricity to use, a low power console makes no sense, you can do so much more with more power, why not use it. Also tanks are high torque low power, and the shuttles nasa uses have rocket engines sharing no design qualities to the engines in cars. Cars can serve different needs, consoles don't, they play games, how could a low power low spec console have any advantages over a high power technical beast. Underpowered doesn't relate to its designed specs, its a comparison to the norm and modern technology. 

un·der·pow·ered
/ˌəndərˈpouərd/
Adjective
Lacking sufficient mechanical, electrical, or other power.

The Wii U is not lacking sufficient power, therefore it is not underpowered. This is an argumant over semantics, as we can both clearly agree the PS4 nextbox and next PC will be more powerful, but to say that all video game consoles are in the same leauge is just a statement I do not agree with. The Ouya and the PS3 are in the same leauge?

Who is John Galt?

CityOfNoobs said:
un·der·pow·ered
/ˌəndərˈpouərd/
Adjective

The Wii U is not lacking sufficient power, therefore it is not underpowered. This is an argumant over semantics, as we can both clearly agree the PS4 nextbox and next PC will be more powerful, but to say that all video game consoles are in the same leauge is just a statement I do not agree with. The Ouya and the PS3 are in the same leauge?

Wii U lacks mechanical and electrical power, compared to modern tech (not even high end tech) it is outdated and underpowered. The OUYA by design should be in the same league, its designed as a console, it's just using cellphone/tablet hardware. I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I do appreciate the discussion though :P I just see the Wii U (even the 3DS) as dated hardware, Nintendo is a fantastic software developer, but for hardware it seems they have really skimped on specs.

CityOfNoobs said:
un·der·pow·ered
/ˌəndərˈpouərd/
Adjective

Agreed. And despite the difference in power, in the grand scheme of things, all 3 consoles are in the same sort of ballpark in terms of power. The GameCube and Xbox were considerably more powerful than the PS2 during the 6th generation but developers always coded for the lowest common denominator, and any publishers wanting to stay in business will want to do the same this gen.

You'll see Wii U multiplatform titles in 720p native with less AA, more pop-in, longer loading times. Think of the difference in eye candy quality between PC Medium settings and PC High or Very High settings and you should get an idea of how the Wii U will compare to PS4 and 720 titles.

People on message boards all over the place are harping on about the Wii U not getting ports of PS4 and 720 multiplatform titles because they're 'too powerful' but it's nonsense. Publishers aren't going to leave money on the table now that Nintendo have released a console with a standard rendering pipeline with a superior marketshare.

The Wii U should have a considerable marketshare advantage for quit some time, if not for the entire generation.

Graphically the Wii U version is better, having better textures and lighting, but what wasn't noted on by DF is that while the PS360 versions have major frame drops during cutscenes, the PS3 version drops to 29FPS(still shown as 30fps on the counter though) one time during gameplay while more than a few times does the Wii U(and 360,) drop to 29-26 during gameplay. For all three consoles it remained 30fps during gameplay the majority of the time and the small frame drops probably wouldn't be noticeable, but just pointing that out.