By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Counter-opinions: What is bigger. Call of Duty or Mario

Tagged games:

MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:

You can say that all platform sales of CoD this generation sold more than the Wii sales of Mario games, but then you can see how it's pretty unfair to make that comparison.  "More popular" is arbitrary to begin with.

SOunds like you are making your own rules.  People have different opinions on the matter

You can't have your own opinion about popularity.  It revolves solely around others.  For example: Who is more popular in America, Osama bin Laden or George Takei?

You can't say "I don't know who George Takei is so I think Osama is more popular." 

When i ask specifically if something is more popular on home consoles it is pretty specific.  It's like Michael Phelps. He is more popular in America than the rest of the world.  If i asked the entire world it will recieve different answer rather than me asking if he is more popular in america

No, it is inherently not very specific.  You're also not comparing two things, but rather trying to look at what's most popular.  Even then, you may be wrong.  In some aspects of the word "popular," it would also have to mean that the acknowledgement of this person is positive.  Do we really KNOW that Michael Phelps is seen more positively at higher rates than he appears to other countries?  The line really blurs even for your question.

Something more similar to the console debate is this: 

Which show is more popular: One Piece or Spongebob?

Then you would be like "Let's only look at One Piece viewership in America, and Spongebob viewership world wide.  Let's only include live feeds because DVDs and recordings are a different market."  Then you come to the conclusion that Spongebob is more popular, currently.

Im going to ask you straight forward and I dont want you to dance around any of these questions ok?

What is more popular in America?  Halo or Monster Hunters?
The believable answer would be Halo
What is more popular in Japan? Monster Hunters or Halo?
Monster Hunter
What is more popular?  Halo or Monster Hunters?
Neither one can be said
What is more popular on home consoles?  Call of Duty of Mario?
Mario, because I said so
What is more popular on handhelds?  Mario or Call of Duty?
Mario
Who is more popular in america?  Michael Phelps or Jackie Chan?
Jackie Chan
Who is more Popular in China?  Jackie Chan or Michael Phelps?
Jackie Chan
Did your answer come out the same every time?
No
Now give me your answers.

See now the console question could go both ways which is why i made the thread.  I shouldnt have to explain myself over and over again or have to come into a thread mocking mine when mine was a real debatable question.

Although I'd definitely say Halo is more popular than Monster Hunters.  You are talking about a series that has sold 40m since 2005 compared to a series that really only sells well in Japan.  Probably around 15-20m is my guess. 

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:

You can say that all platform sales of CoD this generation sold more than the Wii sales of Mario games, but then you can see how it's pretty unfair to make that comparison.  "More popular" is arbitrary to begin with.

SOunds like you are making your own rules.  People have different opinions on the matter

You can't have your own opinion about popularity.  It revolves solely around others.  For example: Who is more popular in America, Osama bin Laden or George Takei?

You can't say "I don't know who George Takei is so I think Osama is more popular." 

When i ask specifically if something is more popular on home consoles it is pretty specific.  It's like Michael Phelps. He is more popular in America than the rest of the world.  If i asked the entire world it will recieve different answer rather than me asking if he is more popular in america

No, it is inherently not very specific.  You're also not comparing two things, but rather trying to look at what's most popular.  Even then, you may be wrong.  In some aspects of the word "popular," it would also have to mean that the acknowledgement of this person is positive.  Do we really KNOW that Michael Phelps is seen more positively at higher rates than he appears to other countries?  The line really blurs even for your question.

Then you would be like "Let's only look at One Piece viewership in America, and Spongebob viewership world wide.  Let's only include live feeds because DVDs and recordings are a different market."  Then you come to the conclusion that Spongebob is more popular, currently.

Im going to ask you straight forward and I dont want you to dance around any of these questions ok?

Monster Hunter
Neither one can be said
Mario, because I said so
Mario
Jackie Chan
Jackie Chan
No

See now the console question could go both ways which is why i made the thread.  I shouldnt have to explain myself over and over again or have to come into a thread mocking mine when mine was a real debatable question.

Although I'd definitely say Halo is more popular than Monster Hunters.  You are talking about a series that has sold 40m since 2005 compared to a series that really only sells well in Japan.  Probably around 15-20m is my guess. 

See, the thing is is that you're using sales as a means of measuring popularity.  Which can be fine, but only if you use them fairly.  And you're not.  That's the point.

MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:

Monster Hunter
Neither one can be said
Mario, because I said so
Mario
Jackie Chan
Jackie Chan
No

See, the thing is is that you're using sales as a means of measuring popularity.  Which can be fine, but only if you use them fairly.  And you're not.  That's the point.

It's fine if he's measuring popularity only on home consoles. If he was measuring overall popularity then there would be a problem. But he's not.

MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:
JayWood2010 said:
MDMAlliance said:

Monster Hunter
Neither one can be said
Mario, because I said so
Mario
Jackie Chan
Jackie Chan
No

That is something you can bring up in a debate on why you think mario is bigger on home consoles. That is why it is an opinion piece.

Jay520 said:
MDMAlliance said:

It's fine if he's measuring popularity only on home consoles. If he was measuring overall popularity then there would be a problem. But he's not.

Several things:  His title implies it's overall, and it really doesn't make much sense to split the market for Mario in the first place.
Another thing is that the Mario games are only on one console, while the CoD franchise hits 3 platforms (PS3, 360, and Wii).

Why does it matter?  It mattes because including three platforms to one means you've got a thinned out sales figure for one compared to others.

Another thing is that when only using numbers to predict, it no longer is an opinion.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
Jay520 said:
MDMAlliance said:

Several things:  His title implies it's overall, and it really doesn't make much sense to split the market for Mario in the first place.
Another thing is that the Mario games are only on one console, while the CoD franchise hits 3 platforms (PS3, 360, and Wii).

Why does it matter?  It mattes because including three platforms to one means you've got a thinned out sales figure for one compared to others.

Another thing is that when only using numbers to predict, it no longer is an opinion.

Yes, the title implies otherwise but it should be obvious he's referring only to consoles. Just like a "Pokemon vs Mario" title would obviously be referring to handhelds since its the only way such a comparison would be relevant. It makes sense to split up the market if you are interested in the state of a particular market. For example, if we were interested in the American market only, it would be okay to only compare American sales for the consoles.

Your argument about Mario being exclusive is a good argument, and is one that favors Mario. But there are many other arguments. For example, CoD has more competition. Then consider the fact that Mario has the best selling installment. On the other hand, CoD has proved to have high sales throughout multiple yearly releases.

Could Mario do the same? Is having the best selling installment with a better attach rate more impressive than having multiple big selling games? If CoD was exclusive to one console, would it sell as much as Mario? There is no definitive clear-cut, objective answers to these questions because they're impossible to know. That means there's a degree of subjectivity when analyzing these hypothetical scenarios.

Wel, at least all those CODs combined outsold Mario Hoops 3 on 3.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Mario bundled ok

JayWood2010 said:
KHlover said:
Pwned. Maybe that's why JayWood left handhelds out? There's no point in comparing franchises if you leave half of the games out...

I left them out because two different markets.  But yeah if this makes you all happy then more power to you :)

1. Pwned was in regards to CoD - not to you. In case this had offended you :D

2. I really think franchises should be compared in their entirety, not split up. If the franchise is spread among different consoles all of them should be included. Especially a franchise like Mario, which is almost as big on handhelds as on home consoles. The only real problem I had with your thread was the title, if you avoided the word franchise it would have been fine IMO.

I think we could argue about this for hours and not come to a conclusion... :D

Option #3: Angry Birds

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!