By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Video shows Wii U performance after April update. From ~20 seconds to ~6 seconds!

lt_dan_27 said:
How are they going to deliver it is my biggest question. The non premium version has next to now storage.

Every time a new patch comes up this is brought up.

What don't many of you get about the word "update" or "patch"?

These things over write existing OS code. They do not significantly change the size of the space on memory the OS takes up. It may increase/decrease a very tiny amount or more than likely, remain the same.

So, the update downloads to some temporary folder the OS likely already has set aside for this. It then runs a script that changes various code in the OS. It then deletes that temporary file.

Your OS does not continue to grow by the size of the updates.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
lt_dan_27 said:
How are they going to deliver it is my biggest question. The non premium version has next to now storage.

Every time a new patch comes up this is brought up.

What don't many of you get about the word "update" or "patch"?

These things over write existing OS code. They do not significantly change the size of the space on memory the OS takes up. It may increase/decrease a very tiny amount or more than likely, remain the same.

So, the update downloads to some temporary folder the OS likely already has set aside for this. It then runs a script that changes various code in the OS. It then deletes that temporary file.

Your OS does not continue to grow by the size of the updates.

Indeed. I suspect the main reason people complain about the lack of storage on the 8GB SKU is because Nintendo has set aside more space than it is actually using to ensure it has enough space to extract software updates and add new features. It's not unlike the 1GB of RAM Nintendo has reserved for OS. There's no way they're actually using it all right now.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Great Ninty. Now Show Some Fucking GAME!!!!!!!!

SHAKE Retro Studio From The Flour

Euphoria14 said:
That's a big time improvement.
newwil7l said:
About Damn time

I see what you did there.

LemonSlice said:
Euphoria14 said:
That's a big time improvement.
newwil7l said:
About Damn time

I see what you did there.

?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Announcement on Miiverse just re-states everything.

Hello, this is Satoru Iwata of Nintendo.

As we announced in the January Nintendo Direct, we plan to release two Wii U system updates. One in spring, and one in the summer.

Today, I would like to let you know the status of these two updates.

We are planning to release the spring system update in April, which will improve the time it takes to launch software, and the time it takes to return to the Wii U Menu.

We still have tests remaining, and it will take a little more time until we can release the update. But today, we have prepared a video so you can see how the loading time will change when returning to the Wii U Menu with the system update, so please take a look if you are interested.

In the future, we would like to share announcements about Nintendo Direct events here, so we appreciate your continued attention.

And lastly, like in other Announcement Communities, please understand that while we read every comment, we are not able to reply. Thank you.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

So according to Iwata's post in Miiverse, April update will ONLY affect loading times between the menu and its various software.

It won't affect the downloading of content.

Well, that's ok. While the downloading of content is still horrendous for me, at least the far more utilized function of going in and out of apps/games will be dramatically improved.

I mean going from ~20seconds to ~6 seconds is a dramatic improvement.