By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Are we in the dark ages? MODS WTF?

blaydcor said:
Forums are essentially a dialogue/conversation; it's not uncommon for people in a real life conversation to reply with simply a one word reply. As such, this "rule" is incredibly stupid. Consider.

Friend:I think that Brawl will be awesome
Me:True.
Other Friend:DUDE!! You're spamming!! You have to answer with at least more that one word!!

I mean, seriously.

You are thinking about IM ... I don't believe in real life situation where a person speaks for several paragraphs, the other replies with another several paragraphs, and then there's a reply back that's also paragraphs, it doesn't happen often, if it ever does at all. I can see this in Interviews, Shows, and stuffs, but that's it. Forums do equal dialogue/conversation, but the example you gave does not always equate to forums.

Personally, I see both sides have the points regarding the spamming issue, so I probably won't stick to either side. Overall, I would say that we are getting confuse since this change of policy is rather sudden. Overtime I'm sure this issue will fade away when we (i.e. both the mods and the users) get used to it.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Around the Network

There is too much nonsense on these boards, the mods are doing a good job of telling people to post more then one word, and if you do not contribute to a thread in anyway you should get a warning, then if you come back to the thread again and post the same crap it should be a 1 week ban.

Griffin said:
There is too much nonsense on these boards, the mods are doing a good job of telling people to post more then one word, and if you do not contribute to a thread in anyway you should get a warning, then if you come back to the thread again and post the same crap it should be a 1 week ban.

Well, you can't blame them for reacting like that. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was a sudden 1 thread introducing the new rule and boom, it's already applied. Not that I'm blaming the mod either since thanks to that, I have seen a somewhat more quality forum lately.

Every little bit of "QFT" counts. 

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Weezy has done several things that were not correct on these forums, he has spammed several times, and has gotten in way to many threads in which he trolls.

The picture might have been his last chance, but he posted it(even though I dont and have not seen the picture in the first place) I doubt DKII or watever moderator that decided to ban him do not know the reason they did. If you want to have a direct answer I suggest messaging DKII, or watever mod banned weezy.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

superchunk said:

Ok,

As many of you know I as well as another member got all sarcastic and borderline offensive when DKII posted about the length of your post / spam rule. He was not offended and knew we were only busting his balls, but another wanted us to be made as examples. So I took my 3 day ban and forgot about it, mostly.

In case you don't know, the new rule was that you can no longer just quote someone and put QFT or LOL etc, you post must be greater than a 4 letters. blah.

Personally I think that is just ridicules and overboard. This is a common practice in forums and is normally not abused. However, I noticed today that a certain mod has banned Weezy because he posted a picture and thus got banned for breaking before mentioned rule. ??? wtf.

Not that the picture was offensive or something, it wasn’t. Just because he only put a picture. If this isn't the most ridicules abuse of powers I don't know what is.

ioi and mods, this is getting stupid. spam is one thing, putting a picture that is relevant or funny like the annoyingly stupid cat posts that, even some mods, put up is common forum practices. As well as quoting something and putting lol, or QFT, or WTF.

I think any of us can tell when these are abused and are just spamming, but, today's example with weezy is just a mod being a jerk and taking out personal issue.

If I am wrong in my assumption than I would love to know why, I normally would just pm the mod in question, but in this case I think the whole community should weigh in on the new over zealous spam rules.

QFT

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network
CrashMan said:

QFT

Now, why would you do that???

You come to a thread involving a controversial subject and do the EXACT thing that people are having an issue with...   ...are you TRYING to bait the mods??? Seriously, I don't get it...   :(

@TAlonMan

He's proving a point. He obviously felt that he agreed with the OP and instead of writing a long drawn out idea that essentially said the same thing, he mearly brought the OP back to the front of the discussion.

That's the point and a good use of QFT.

All I am arguing is that the 4 word limit is just too much. Instead it should just be that if the mod deems your recent behavior as spam you will be warned/banned depending on the circumstances and your history. It really rather simple.

superchunk said:
@TAlonMan

He's proving a point. He obviously felt that he agreed with the OP and instead of writing a long drawn out idea that essentially said the same thing, he mearly brought the OP back to the front of the discussion.

That's the point and a good use of QFT.

All I am arguing is that the 4 word limit is just too much. Instead it should just be that if the mod deems your recent behavior as spam you will be warned/banned depending on the circumstances and your history. It really rather simple.

No, I understand the point he was trying to make - but why do it here and now?!?!? In a thread where there is already anomosity regarding these very acts and the outcomes that have been served - THIS is where we should make our point and do it????

As I said - I get DKII's intentions and I think I made it pretty clear above. And even CrashMan's use here would, in my eyes, not normally be a problem...    ...it just seems a bit incendiary with an intent to provoke a moderation reaction. That's called 'mocking' in my book.  :(

If you've got a problem, bring it to a head mod like me or stof.

I don't ever want a 4 word limit or anything like that...even if it's instated into the forum's code, people will type "4 more words" or something along those lines to make the limit.

Spamming is context-sensitive...I'll judge whether or not it's ban-worthy, and if you've got a problem with a mod's or my decision, we can bring it to ioi.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I think that TalonMan has said all that needs to be said on the subject of the rule IF the other mods concur.

But I want to add that weezy should not have been banned for posting a picture based on this rule -- because a picture can be worth a thousand words!

Seriously, pictures that contribute to the thread should be exceptions to the word limit, just like QFT can be when used sparingly and sensibly. (I have not heard anyone dispute that weezy's picture was relevant to the topic/discussion.)

(I just looked at what I think is the thread in question and I am quite surprised that weezy was banned and not all the people quoting his picture with 2-3 word comments! Assuming that they weren't banned ... )

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!