By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Are we in the dark ages? MODS WTF?

I don't get it. Why is everybody up in arms about this rule? How hard is it to make your post at least 4 words? I'm not saying you should not have the right to disagree with a rule, I just think maybe some people are overreacting a bit in this particular instance. The main point of this rule, as I understand it, is to encourage you to think: "Do I have something interesting to add to this thread's discussion?" PM or wall your lols and QFT if you feel the need to do it at all.

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:
The spam rule is retarded, plain and simple, because it seems like no one can agree on what "spam" is when weezy gets banned for posting a picture and I get banned for 3 days for...well I don't know when I "spammed" or who did the banning. All I know is that I've been here for over half a year with no bans and no warnings, and all of a sudden I'm banned instantly over something as vague as "spam."

It's not so much that the rule is harsh that it is ridiculous, without some real grounds between the mods and their wildly varying tolerances over a rule that's not even in the ToS, no one is safe.

I also like how my comment about weezy not spamming had just conveniently disappeared from his profile.

And what did dtwei do to get banned for 45 days?

A little harsher than I would have phrased it, but the scary thing I keep seeing repeated is people getting banned and not even knowing the reason why. If you don’t know why you were banned how the hell can you change your posting behavior? That is the first rule of parenting and should be the first rule of moderating let the person know what rule they violated to get punished and if at all possible the punishment should happen in a very close time frame to the offense or you’ve lost any and all deterrent and corrective effect.

TalonMan said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

Mods should be like referees; You know they did a good match when you didn't notice them.

That's me in a nutshell!! If you see me in your mailbox, you KNOW you screwed up... :P

I got 3 posts in my mailbox from you in the last week ^^... ... And i survived to tell the story!

Mods ain't that bad!  

THE NETHERLANDS

Well, at least Dodece will be safe from the 4 word ban limit. Actually he would be safe from the 500 word anti spam ban limit.

Hopefully we can from now on... Or maybe you should give a course on advanced modship TalonMan, you seem to get your job done right!

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
Forums are essentially a dialogue/conversation; it's not uncommon for people in a real life conversation to reply with simply a one word reply. As such, this "rule" is incredibly stupid. Consider.

Friend:I think that Brawl will be awesome
Me:True.
Other Friend:DUDE!! You're spamming!! You have to answer with at least more that one word!!

I mean, seriously.

You are thinking about IM ... I don't believe in real life situation where a person speaks for several paragraphs, the other replies with another several paragraphs, and then there's a reply back that's also paragraphs, it doesn't happen often, if it ever does at all. I can see this in Interviews, Shows, and stuffs, but that's it. Forums do equal dialogue/conversation, but the example you gave does not always equate to forums.

Personally, I see both sides have the points regarding the spamming issue, so I probably won't stick to either side. Overall, I would say that we are getting confuse since this change of policy is rather sudden. Overtime I'm sure this issue will fade away when we (i.e. both the mods and the users) get used to it.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

There is too much nonsense on these boards, the mods are doing a good job of telling people to post more then one word, and if you do not contribute to a thread in anyway you should get a warning, then if you come back to the thread again and post the same crap it should be a 1 week ban.

Griffin said:
There is too much nonsense on these boards, the mods are doing a good job of telling people to post more then one word, and if you do not contribute to a thread in anyway you should get a warning, then if you come back to the thread again and post the same crap it should be a 1 week ban.

Well, you can't blame them for reacting like that. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was a sudden 1 thread introducing the new rule and boom, it's already applied. Not that I'm blaming the mod either since thanks to that, I have seen a somewhat more quality forum lately.

Every little bit of "QFT" counts. 

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Weezy has done several things that were not correct on these forums, he has spammed several times, and has gotten in way to many threads in which he trolls.

The picture might have been his last chance, but he posted it(even though I dont and have not seen the picture in the first place) I doubt DKII or watever moderator that decided to ban him do not know the reason they did. If you want to have a direct answer I suggest messaging DKII, or watever mod banned weezy.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

superchunk said:

Ok,

As many of you know I as well as another member got all sarcastic and borderline offensive when DKII posted about the length of your post / spam rule. He was not offended and knew we were only busting his balls, but another wanted us to be made as examples. So I took my 3 day ban and forgot about it, mostly.

In case you don't know, the new rule was that you can no longer just quote someone and put QFT or LOL etc, you post must be greater than a 4 letters. blah.

Personally I think that is just ridicules and overboard. This is a common practice in forums and is normally not abused. However, I noticed today that a certain mod has banned Weezy because he posted a picture and thus got banned for breaking before mentioned rule. ??? wtf.

Not that the picture was offensive or something, it wasn’t. Just because he only put a picture. If this isn't the most ridicules abuse of powers I don't know what is.

ioi and mods, this is getting stupid. spam is one thing, putting a picture that is relevant or funny like the annoyingly stupid cat posts that, even some mods, put up is common forum practices. As well as quoting something and putting lol, or QFT, or WTF.

I think any of us can tell when these are abused and are just spamming, but, today's example with weezy is just a mod being a jerk and taking out personal issue.

If I am wrong in my assumption than I would love to know why, I normally would just pm the mod in question, but in this case I think the whole community should weigh in on the new over zealous spam rules.

QFT

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X