By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Are we in the dark ages? MODS WTF?

nintendo_fanboy said:

Mods should be like referees; You know they did a good match when you didn't notice them.

That's me in a nutshell!! If you see me in your mailbox, you KNOW you screwed up...   :P

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
Look, here are DKII's own words:

"Just use common sense people. "

and

"This isn't meant to target the guy with 80 posts who occassionally posts a short response to a thread, but rather the guys with 1000+ posts who have an average word count of less than 1 per post...."

I agree with that completely (i would even QFT it :) )

Sometimes 1-3words post can have same discussion value as 100 word posts...

I wondered about that too Claude (I mean dweti), but I didn't want to mention it because I haven't spent to much time on the forums recently. However, as I already said, we seem to have a lot of bans lately, and I don't understand why neither do I think this is in any way necessary or even helpful.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

TalonMan said:
Look, here are DKII's own words:

"Just use common sense people. "

and

"This isn't meant to target the guy with 80 posts who occassionally posts a short response to a thread, but rather the guys with 1000+ posts who have an average word count of less than 1 per post...."

What this means is, if you 'every once in awhile' post a pic or a 'QFT' or a 'LOL' or whatever, we shouldn't have any problems with each other. If, however, I go take a look in your posting history and see a string of 10-20 consecutive posts like this, you'll get a warning/ban.

If that is not how this is currently being interpreted and you feel that there is abuse going on, you must, must, MUST, PM DKII about this and he can sort out the moderators. Personally, I read the above text from DKII and I believe I am reading and following this order correctly - but perhaps I'm being too leniant, in which case, DKII can correct me and I'll start handing out bans.

I always try to be fair - I have never banned anybody without having given them, at minimum, one warning. I believe (and hope) all mods work this way...

This post I believe says everything that is needed on the subject.

I don't get it. Why is everybody up in arms about this rule? How hard is it to make your post at least 4 words? I'm not saying you should not have the right to disagree with a rule, I just think maybe some people are overreacting a bit in this particular instance. The main point of this rule, as I understand it, is to encourage you to think: "Do I have something interesting to add to this thread's discussion?" PM or wall your lols and QFT if you feel the need to do it at all.

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:
The spam rule is retarded, plain and simple, because it seems like no one can agree on what "spam" is when weezy gets banned for posting a picture and I get banned for 3 days for...well I don't know when I "spammed" or who did the banning. All I know is that I've been here for over half a year with no bans and no warnings, and all of a sudden I'm banned instantly over something as vague as "spam."

It's not so much that the rule is harsh that it is ridiculous, without some real grounds between the mods and their wildly varying tolerances over a rule that's not even in the ToS, no one is safe.

I also like how my comment about weezy not spamming had just conveniently disappeared from his profile.

And what did dtwei do to get banned for 45 days?

A little harsher than I would have phrased it, but the scary thing I keep seeing repeated is people getting banned and not even knowing the reason why. If you don’t know why you were banned how the hell can you change your posting behavior? That is the first rule of parenting and should be the first rule of moderating let the person know what rule they violated to get punished and if at all possible the punishment should happen in a very close time frame to the offense or you’ve lost any and all deterrent and corrective effect.

TalonMan said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

Mods should be like referees; You know they did a good match when you didn't notice them.

That's me in a nutshell!! If you see me in your mailbox, you KNOW you screwed up... :P

I got 3 posts in my mailbox from you in the last week ^^... ... And i survived to tell the story!

Mods ain't that bad!  

THE NETHERLANDS

Well, at least Dodece will be safe from the 4 word ban limit. Actually he would be safe from the 500 word anti spam ban limit.

StarcraftManiac said:

I got 3 posts in my mailbox from you in the last week ^^... ... And i survived to tell the story!

See? And was I a prick about it? We sorted out our stuff, made peace with the situation, and all was resolved behind the scenes...   :)

...can't we all just get along???   :(

Hopefully we can from now on... Or maybe you should give a course on advanced modship TalonMan, you seem to get your job done right!

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)