By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - is ps3 actually selling better than 360?

considering the variables, is ps3 more successful than 360?

Numbers are Numbers, 360 is doing better. 134 19.12%

Considering the variables... 512 73.04%

These Variables shouldn'... 26 3.71%

Other, please specify! 29 4.14%

Total:701

here's some variable that popped into my head when reviewing lifetime sales of 360 and ps3.

1. the 360 has a lead of less than 2mil according to the chart on the homepage.

2. 360 had an entire year to sell systems without the ps3 rivalary

3. when someone's 360 broke, and they went ahead and bought a new one without trying to repair the first one, that counts as a new sale.

that last point there, as someone who works in the gaming industry, I do notice a lot of people doing that, instead of trying to fix it they just go ahead an buy a new one.

with those variables in mind, would you say that the ps3 is actually more successful than 360, or not?

explain why, I'm interested :)

Around the Network

If a lot of people really go out and buy new consoles then the game attach rate would show it.

And to answer the question, yes, it has been for awhile, with 1 or 2 years going 360 I think. Japan makes a huge difference.

Microsoft offered a 3 years warranty. So most consoles that broke where covered and got either repaired, replaced or even both.

While I believe that many people would rather just buy a new one than pay for the repair, I don't think that many would just ignore the warranty.

On the other hand, many early PS3s broke due to YLOD and that only recently (a few years ago). None of them where covered.

Now you have lots of broken 360 where a high percentage was covered by warranty vs. a lower number of broken PS3s that had no warranty left.
They probably offset each other.

The 360 is more successful.

Sold more.
Made more money.
Sold more software.
Increase in sales and marketshare over last generation.

Carl2291 said:

Sold more.
Made more money.
Sold more software.

THIS!

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

Sold more.
Made more money.
Sold more software.

+1

Carl2291 said:

Sold more.
Made more money.
Sold more software.

Oh, no... Cell powa.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Carl2291 said:

Sold more.
Made more money.
Sold more software.

How do you know how much money either has made? Honest question. MS hides the 360 in a division where a lot of products lose money.

I agree about everything else, the biggest thing being the increase in marketshare and brand name in the US. Sony could go on to sell 100,000,000 PS3's in its lifetime and sell 20 million more than MS sells 360's and it won't change the US market. When you see/hear people playing/talking videogames in the media or in music/TV/movies, it's Xbox now.

Carl2291 said:

Sold more.
Made more money.
Sold more software.

As much as I love my PS3 and it's game to answer the thread question....pretty much THIS.

Not taking anything from SONY though they have REALLY turned things around from the start of the PS3 but 360 is easily more successful from a business stand point.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

I didn't think this was still a question. PS3 has been selling better than 360 for practically the entire generation. It has just been catching up because the 360 was the first console to release. 360 sold really well in the US and it seems until recently been unopposed by PS3 popularity. 360 still dominates the holidays because of the US market size but that might change after next gen consoles release. PS3 also has an amazing set of games releasing this year while the 360 is pretty bare. PS3 lifetime sales will pass 360 this year and remain so until they are discontinued.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(