By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro RPG fans, if Shining Force worth getting into?

Tagged games:

kain_kusanagi said:
Michael-5 said:

Last Question: Out of all of Saturns Gems, which would you consider must have games?

Don't mention a game unless you honestly think it's worth an 8/10 or higher.

P.S. I was just reading Wikipedia about some of these games. Panzer Dragoon 1 is included in Orta entirely.

Must Have 8/10 (IMO) or Higher Sega Saturn Exclusives:

Panzer Dragoon Saga - RPG

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Rail Shooter

Panzer Dragoon - Rail Shooter

Burning Rangers - Action

Magic Knight Rayearth - Adventure (I'll watch anime first, see if I like it)

Albert Odysee: Legend of Eldean - RPG

Shinning the Holy Ark - RPG

Radiant Silvergun got an XBLA port and like you mentioned Panzer Dragoon is unlockable in Panzer Dragoon Orta. But other than those two I think this is a great list of what the Saturn has that nothing else does.

If you like the genres of the games on this list you should enjoy the games. I don't for the most part

BTW: If you're into 2D fighters the Saturn has a ton. LOL Not into them They aren't exclusive, but for the time they were the best home versions. Some require a 2meg or 4meg cart to play. Also when you get your Saturn you will want to hunt down an Anologue controller and a memory cart. The Saturn has built in memory, but it runs on a battery and when the batter runs out you lose your saves when you change the batter. A memary cart solves that issue and gives a ton more space for saves.

One more thing. If you are planning to import games you can either get an ST-Key cart or a 4in1 Action Replay. The bonus of the 4in1 is it also has the extra megs for those fighters I mentions. If you're thinking of modding your Saturn for backups, make sure to get the Model 2 Saturn, because it's the easy one to put a mod chip in.

No Shining Force 3, Blazing Hero's, Dragon Force, or Shining Wisdom?

I think this is a small, but good Saturn Collection for me. The rest don't interest me much, not above all the other PS1/N64 or even PS3 offersings, so I would never play them.

Thnaks for all the advice. I've had a bad experience modding consoles before, so if I want to have back up copies of games, I'd play them on a PC emulator. I've seen someone play Panzer Dragoon on an emulator at school before.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Michael-5 said:

Last Question: Out of all of Saturns Gems, which would you consider must have games?

P.S. I was just reading Wikipedia about some of these games. Panzer Dragoon 1 is included in Orta entirely.

Burning Rangers - Action

Radiant Silvergun got an XBLA port and like you mentioned Panzer Dragoon is unlockable in Panzer Dragoon Orta. But other than those two I think this is a great list of what the Saturn has that nothing else does.

If you like the genres of the games on this list you should enjoy the games. I don't for the most part

BTW: If you're into 2D fighters the Saturn has a ton. LOL Not into them They aren't exclusive, but for the time they were the best home versions. Some require a 2meg or 4meg cart to play. Also when you get your Saturn you will want to hunt down an Anologue controller and a memory cart. The Saturn has built in memory, but it runs on a battery and when the batter runs out you lose your saves when you change the batter. A memary cart solves that issue and gives a ton more space for saves.

One more thing. If you are planning to import games you can either get an ST-Key cart or a 4in1 Action Replay. The bonus of the 4in1 is it also has the extra megs for those fighters I mentions. If you're thinking of modding your Saturn for backups, make sure to get the Model 2 Saturn, because it's the easy one to put a mod chip in.

I think this is a small, but good Saturn Collection for me. The rest don't interest me much, not above all the other PS1/N64 or even PS3 offersings, so I would never play them.

Thnaks for all the advice. I've had a bad experience modding consoles before, so if I want to have back up copies of games, I'd play them on a PC emulator. I've seen someone play Panzer Dragoon on an emulator at school before.

I'm not a fan of Blazing Heros or Dragon Force. But I did say that Dragon Force is top quality I just don't care for it. Shinning Wisdom is a Zelda clone with very dated graphics. The gameplay is solid and it's fun, but I'd say it's more foa 7 than an 8. Shinning Force 3 should have been on the list, I actualy thought I had put it on the list. Shinning The Holy Ark is great too.

The list I gave you are all great games. Do you have a limited taste in games? Mostly just like RPGs?

kain_kusanagi said:
Michael-5 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Michael-5 said:

Burning Rangers - Action

Do you only like RPGs or something?

I don't usually like fighting, or 2D sidescrollers or hack and slash, but there are exceptions (I like Smash Bros and Soul Calibur before it got milked, I like 2D Metroids, Zelda II, Ranger X and Mega Man X, and I do like DMC 3 and Vanquish if you consider that hack and slash).

Generally for old games I prefer RPG's. There is something mellow about playing a 15 year old RPG, it's so much simpler and relaxed.

I do like racing games and Action/Adventure games, but I'm picky, and none of those other games looked interesting to me when I googled gameplay. Not really looking for a retro racing game because Mario Kart/F-Zero/GT satisfy me there. As for AA, it's not my favorite genre, but I'll play AAA stuff like Zelda, and none of the stuff there looked as good as Zelda.

Rail Shooters I'm okay with, not huge on. If it weren't for PD Saga, I'd probably have ignored the PD series.

I'm just picky, I know what I like. I've heard amazing things about PD Saga (It's your favorite RPG), so I don't want to ignore that. Want to try out Shining Force as well because it's from my favorite developer.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Recently beat the Sega Genesis version of Shining Force (had it on my Wii's VC but never got around to playing it) and it was a very enjoyable experience. It's definitely an old school JRPG and at times you may need to do a little grinding (if on your first playthrough you make some rookie mistakes like I did) and the storyline is kinda laughable, but I still very much enjoyed it.

I noticed at a few different points in the game where I thought I had the formula all figured out and they would throw in a new little monkey wrench, for instance the boss of most levels doesn't move until you either engage him or have defeated all other enemies and this is pretty reliable through most of the game but then at some point (usually at the worst possible time) the main boss will lash out unexpectedly, or the enemies waiting for you to move across the map will be lined up in such a way that you can hit multiple with a magic attack so you lead with that but just before you get to them they change formation and mess you up - stuff like that. These were nice touches that I could tell the developers put some time and energy into mixing it up.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

Michael-5 said:

Yea, I was taking a look at how many JRPG's I have to beat.... I have a lot, but the thing is I own them, so I can play them any time.

I own all the 3D Tales games (I don't like the 2D ones) and all the Star Oceans. I've beaten a few Tales games, but not a single Star Ocean. I also own Radiata Stories, all on my TDL.

Wow, great advice about XenoSaga. Yea, I played the first one for 2 hours and was really bored, but I liked XenoBlade and XenoGears so much, I also downloaded all the cutscenes of XenoSaga 2. Skimming over them they also looked kinda dull. I'll watch the movies and if I like it I'll get XenoSaga 3 and play that.

Suikoden II is one of the most expensive PS1 games, that's the problem. I've seen copies for $120, but no less. This is high on my watch list, but it might take me a while to find a copy even for under $60.

As for FF Tactics, I beat FF Tactics Advance, and played about 2-3 hours of A2 and War of the Lions each. They are good games, but to me Front Mission, Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, and Jeanne D'Arc are better SRPG's. Either way, I own them all, and they are also on my TDL.

----

Basically, I wanted to ask what are good SRPG's because I think the JRPG's I own or plan to buy pretty much cover everything I want. (Check out My Games, I have basically everything updated). The few JRPG's which I think are great which I don't have, I don't have because they are expensive on ebay and hard to find elsewhere. I'm keeping an eye out hoping for a deal.

I have the first Shining Force, and I'll stick with that for now. When I eventually play it I'll judge the series. Thanks for all your other recommendations.

BTW I have a Sega CD, other then Dark Wizard and maybe Lunar and Shining Force CD, and recommendations? Tell me about Dark Wizard.

With the information you and others have given me, this is the list of JRPG's I'm looking out for:

Arc the Lad Collection and maybe Twislight of the Spirits (What do you recommend)
Blazing Heros

Brave Fencer Musashi
Breat of Fire 1 & 2
Brigandine Legend of Foresna
Chrono Trigger (have it for DS, wand it for SNES)
Dark Cloud 1 & 2
Dark Wizard (Maybe)
Disgaea 1, 3 & 4 (If I like 2, which I do so far)
Dragon Force (Saturn)
Dragon Warrior 3 (hoping it localized for 3DS)
Earthbound
Grandia 3
Kartia: The Word of Fate (Maybe)
Lunar: Eternal Blue (if I like Silver Star Harmony)
Ni No Kuni
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Panzer Dragoon 1/Zwei/Saga
Resonance of Fate
Romancing Saga (PS2)
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Shadow Hearts 1/Covenant/New World
Shining Force 2/CD/Holy Ark/3 (If I like 1)
Soul Sacrifice (When I get a PSV years down the road)
Suikoden 2/4
Tales of the Abyss 3DS
Tales of Graces f
Tales of Xillia
Thousand Arms
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
XenoSaga 3 (If I like the Movies)

Bold games are games I added after everyones input.

Most of the games are low on my TDL because I should get a couple more main series FF games finished and a couple Dragon Quest and Star Ocean Games finished as well. However I like having a comprehensive list because sometimes I do find a deal. Like I said before I've purchased Super Mario RPG for $5, and Ogre Battle 64 (Complete) for $40, and FFVII for $30 I believe complete/black edition, among other deals. If I see say for instance Suikoden 2 or Shadow Hearts Covenant on sale, I don't have to debate it now because I have this list of games I've looked into.

Thanks for the info on Arc The Lad, it was hard finding info on it and I wasn;t sure about it. I passed the collection up for $30 in the past, had I known.

Any other recommendations?

----

You know what's funny. Even with this pretty extensive list of games, and the fact I haven't beaten any 16/32 bit FF/DQ game, Pandora's Tower is the highest game on my TDL followed by Star Ocean: The Last Hope and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Kinda want to beat all of this gens offerings first). After that I'll probably be playing Translated mods of older Fire Emblem games or Front Mission 3/4 or Chrono Cross. FF and DQ really don't rank that high on my TDL. However once I get a 3DS XL I'll probably play DQ VI, VII, or IX, but I kninda know what to expect from FF games since I have beaten I, II, X, Tactics, Crystal Chronicles and most of VII and some of VI.

However for handhelds, I've beaten nearly every good JRPG pre-DS (except for console remakes like FFVI and Sword of Mana), and I think I'll finish most of my PSP/DS JRPG's and remakes within the next 2-3 years or so. FF and DQ games do rank high on my TDL for handhelds.

Oops.  I didn't realize there was a my games list.  I'm looking at that right now, although I wish it could list all the games in the bookshelf like view per system or category instead of just mixed around like it seems. 

Okay, well anyways, here's the gist of Dark Wizard.  Dark Wizard has multiple characters to choose from, each character having different skills and such.  On Dark Wizard the maps are mostly similar to Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen, Fire Emblem, or Advance Wars where there are multiple towns on one giant map and movement and attacking is hexagonal instead of a squared or real time.  Monsters are summoned with MP and characters like Priests/Mages, etc, are purchased using gold and have an upkeep.  If any character dies they're gone for good, but if they don't die, you can keep them and bring them into future battles.  After finishing one area you choose allies that you'll bring with you that didn't die and attack the next area. 

I'll make a couple recommendations from the list you already have. 

If you're interested in Breath of Fire 1 and 2, make sure to get the GBA versions.  The graphics are a little bit worse than the SNES version, mainly because of the brighter tones, but also a little less detailed.  You won't really notice much of a difference though.  The GBA versions give extra EXP and Gold so they really cut down on the grinding the SNES games require.  The GBA versions might require a little bit of grinding, but not even close to the amount that the SNES versions require.  They balanced the games a lot better. 

If you have a ranking list on which ones you'd get first, I'd recommend putting Earthbound at the bottom as while it's a decent game, it's not worth the price you'll be paying for it at all.  Suikoden 4 is better than most of this gens console RPGs, but compared to previous gens it's not nearly as good.  Wherever Brave Fencer Musashi and Threads of Fate are, put Brave Fencer Musashi above Threads of Fate.  Both good, but Brave Fencer Musashi is better. 

For your TDL, if you're playing Star Ocean the Last Hope so you won't be disappointed after you play Star Ocean 1 and 2 then I'd recommend that one first, but if you're playing it because it interests you the most or you think it'll be a good game, I'd say put it after most of what you have except the ones you have little interest in.  The gameplay is fairly good but the story s awful and they force you to go through so much of it.

If you get around to playing Final Fantasy Tactics again, I'd recommend either playing the PSX version or make sure to d ownload the speed patch which would require you to have a CFW PSP.  If you don't like the dialogue on War of the Lions then you'll want to play the PSX version.  If you don't like the slowdown between attacks, the original version doesn't have that slowdown and the speed patch fixes the  slow down.  Such an amazing game, such an awful port.  Here's an example video.  I'd show you the PSX to PSP comparison, but the person is comparing it in the final boss area(why didn't he think of doing it at the beginning?)  The patch is Gafgarion's very first attack in the game, meaning you'll be able to keep the extras, like the extra characters and normal characters can now access special classes like Gafgarion's Dark Knight class.  One thing is the patch seems to introduce a little bit of lag in the attack, but it could also be the recording or Youtube that introduces that judder like lag.  I haven't used the patch, just saw this and recommended it over the original PSP version.  I couldn't get through the PSP version because of the slowdown, but I can easily go back and play the PSX version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMvrZjhw72U

If you ever get around to playing FF4.  Don't play the GBA version.  The game is full of bugs, glitches, and lag.  Edge's back row boomerangs are considered front row weapons.  Another crappy port from Square Enix.  Complete Collection on the other hand is amazing.  I'd highly recommend playing it.  When you play it, don't be afraid to try stuff out that usually don't work often on most RPGs as well.  FF4 was one of the few RPGs that don't have the letters SMT where spells like slow, stop, and death, have a high accuracy rate.  Slow and stop are 100% on enemies that it affects while death is a high percentage.  The Dragon Quest games do too, but unless your allies that have death are on auto battle, it won't seem like it works on anyone.

Also.  Not RPG, but based on other games in your collection I'm assuming you're a Twisted Metal fan.  You've got all the Twisted Metal games except Small Brawl, 2012, and PS2 Head On.  But really.  You have Twisted Metal 3 and 4 but not 2012? 

I'm just kidding.  I'm a Twisted Metal fan as well and would highly recommend the PS3 game.  It's an amazing game that gets a lot of unwaranted hated.  Atleast partially unwaranted hate.  The online was complete garbage and I quit playing the game because of how bad it was.  It actually works now, but has a high chance if you're on an old model PS3 of crashing.  Just my luck.  If you get on now and play it, the random people on there are on like 12+ hours a day.  It's fun to play online, but it's more fun playing against friends. 

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Michael-5 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Michael-5 said:

Burning Rangers - Action

Do you only like RPGs or something?

I don't usually like fighting, or 2D sidescrollers or hack and slash, but there are exceptions (I like Smash Bros and Soul Calibur before it got milked, I like 2D Metroids, Zelda II, Ranger X and Mega Man X, and I do like DMC 3 and Vanquish if you consider that hack and slash).

Generally for old games I prefer RPG's. There is something mellow about playing a 15 year old RPG, it's so much simpler and relaxed.

I do like racing games and Action/Adventure games, but I'm picky, and none of those other games looked interesting to me when I googled gameplay. Not really looking for a retro racing game because Mario Kart/F-Zero/GT satisfy me there. As for AA, it's not my favorite genre, but I'll play AAA stuff like Zelda, and none of the stuff there looked as good as Zelda.

Rail Shooters I'm okay with, not huge on. If it weren't for PD Saga, I'd probably have ignored the PD series.

I'm just picky, I know what I like. I've heard amazing things about PD Saga (It's your favorite RPG), so I don't want to ignore that. Want to try out Shining Force as well because it's from my favorite developer.

Hey if you know what you like then there's no reason to waste your money on the rest.

BTW, Don't bother watching the Magic Knight Rayearth anime before playing the game. They are not connected. The game is pure Zelda style adventure but with the twist of having three characters with three different sets of weapons and magic abilities that you can switch between at any time. If you like Zelda than you'll like Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn. The anime is ok, but the game is fantastic. It's like A Link to the Past but so much more. The only negative, and it's minor, is that the begining of the game is very scripted to set up the story, but once you get past the first hour or so it opens up.

kupomogli said:
Michael-5 said:

Yea, I was taking a look at how many JRPG's I have to beat.... I have a lot, but the thing is I own them, so I can play them any time.

I own all the 3D Tales games (I don't like the 2D ones) and all the Star Oceans. I've beaten a few Tales games, but not a single Star Ocean. I also own Radiata Stories, all on my TDL.

Wow, great advice about XenoSaga. Yea, I played the first one for 2 hours and was really bored, but I liked XenoBlade and XenoGears so much, I also downloaded all the cutscenes of XenoSaga 2. Skimming over them they also looked kinda dull. I'll watch the movies and if I like it I'll get XenoSaga 3 and play that.

Suikoden II is one of the most expensive PS1 games, that's the problem. I've seen copies for $120, but no less. This is high on my watch list, but it might take me a while to find a copy even for under $60.

As for FF Tactics, I beat FF Tactics Advance, and played about 2-3 hours of A2 and War of the Lions each. They are good games, but to me Front Mission, Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, and Jeanne D'Arc are better SRPG's. Either way, I own them all, and they are also on my TDL.

----

Basically, I wanted to ask what are good SRPG's because I think the JRPG's I own or plan to buy pretty much cover everything I want. (Check out My Games, I have basically everything updated). The few JRPG's which I think are great which I don't have, I don't have because they are expensive on ebay and hard to find elsewhere. I'm keeping an eye out hoping for a deal.

I have the first Shining Force, and I'll stick with that for now. When I eventually play it I'll judge the series. Thanks for all your other recommendations.

BTW I have a Sega CD, other then Dark Wizard and maybe Lunar and Shining Force CD, and recommendations? Tell me about Dark Wizard.

With the information you and others have given me, this is the list of JRPG's I'm looking out for:

Arc the Lad Collection and maybe Twislight of the Spirits (What do you recommend)
Blazing Heros

Brave Fencer Musashi
Breat of Fire 1 & 2
Brigandine Legend of Foresna
Chrono Trigger (have it for DS, wand it for SNES)
Dark Cloud 1 & 2
Dark Wizard (Maybe)
Disgaea 1, 3 & 4 (If I like 2, which I do so far)
Dragon Force (Saturn)
Dragon Warrior 3 (hoping it localized for 3DS)
Earthbound
Grandia 3
Kartia: The Word of Fate (Maybe)
Lunar: Eternal Blue (if I like Silver Star Harmony)
Ni No Kuni
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Panzer Dragoon 1/Zwei/Saga
Resonance of Fate
Romancing Saga (PS2)
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Shadow Hearts 1/Covenant/New World
Shining Force 2/CD/Holy Ark/3 (If I like 1)
Soul Sacrifice (When I get a PSV years down the road)
Suikoden 2/4
Tales of the Abyss 3DS
Tales of Graces f
Tales of Xillia
Thousand Arms
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
XenoSaga 3 (If I like the Movies)

Bold games are games I added after everyones input.

Most of the games are low on my TDL because I should get a couple more main series FF games finished and a couple Dragon Quest and Star Ocean Games finished as well. However I like having a comprehensive list because sometimes I do find a deal. Like I said before I've purchased Super Mario RPG for $5, and Ogre Battle 64 (Complete) for $40, and FFVII for $30 I believe complete/black edition, among other deals. If I see say for instance Suikoden 2 or Shadow Hearts Covenant on sale, I don't have to debate it now because I have this list of games I've looked into.

Thanks for the info on Arc The Lad, it was hard finding info on it and I wasn;t sure about it. I passed the collection up for $30 in the past, had I known.

Any other recommendations?

----

You know what's funny. Even with this pretty extensive list of games, and the fact I haven't beaten any 16/32 bit FF/DQ game, Pandora's Tower is the highest game on my TDL followed by Star Ocean: The Last Hope and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Kinda want to beat all of this gens offerings first). After that I'll probably be playing Translated mods of older Fire Emblem games or Front Mission 3/4 or Chrono Cross. FF and DQ really don't rank that high on my TDL. However once I get a 3DS XL I'll probably play DQ VI, VII, or IX, but I kninda know what to expect from FF games since I have beaten I, II, X, Tactics, Crystal Chronicles and most of VII and some of VI.

However for handhelds, I've beaten nearly every good JRPG pre-DS (except for console remakes like FFVI and Sword of Mana), and I think I'll finish most of my PSP/DS JRPG's and remakes within the next 2-3 years or so. FF and DQ games do rank high on my TDL for handhelds.

Oops.  I didn't realize there was a my games list.  I'm looking at that right now, although I wish it could list all the games in the bookshelf like view per system or category instead of just mixed around like it seems. 

Okay, well anyways, here's the gist of Dark Wizard.  Dark Wizard has multiple characters to choose from, each character having different skills and such.  On Dark Wizard the maps are mostly similar to Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen, Fire Emblem, or Advance Wars where there are multiple towns on one giant map and movement and attacking is hexagonal instead of a squared or real time.  Monsters are summoned with MP and characters like Priests/Mages, etc, are purchased using gold and have an upkeep.  If any character dies they're gone for good, but if they don't die, you can keep them and bring them into future battles.  After finishing one area you choose allies that you'll bring with you that didn't die and attack the next area. 

I'll make a couple recommendations from the list you already have. 

If you're interested in Breath of Fire 1 and 2, make sure to get the GBA versions.  The graphics are a little bit worse than the SNES version, mainly because of the brighter tones, but also a little less detailed.  You won't really notice much of a difference though.  The GBA versions give extra EXP and Gold so they really cut down on the grinding the SNES games require.  The GBA versions might require a little bit of grinding, but not even close to the amount that the SNES versions require.  They balanced the games a lot better. 

If you have a ranking list on which ones you'd get first, I'd recommend putting Earthbound at the bottom as while it's a decent game, it's not worth the price you'll be paying for it at all.  Suikoden 4 is better than most of this gens console RPGs, but compared to previous gens it's not nearly as good.  Wherever Brave Fencer Musashi and Threads of Fate are, put Brave Fencer Musashi above Threads of Fate.  Both good, but Brave Fencer Musashi is better. 

For your TDL, if you're playing Star Ocean the Last Hope so you won't be disappointed after you play Star Ocean 1 and 2 then I'd recommend that one first, but if you're playing it because it interests you the most or you think it'll be a good game, I'd say put it after most of what you have except the ones you have little interest in.  The gameplay is fairly good but the story s awful and they force you to go through so much of it.

If you get around to playing Final Fantasy Tactics again, I'd recommend either playing the PSX version or make sure to d ownload the speed patch which would require you to have a CFW PSP.  If you don't like the dialogue on War of the Lions then you'll want to play the PSX version.  If you don't like the slowdown between attacks, the original version doesn't have that slowdown and the speed patch fixes the  slow down.  Such an amazing game, such an awful port.  Here's an example video.  I'd show you the PSX to PSP comparison, but the person is comparing it in the final boss area(why didn't he think of doing it at the beginning?)  The patch is Gafgarion's very first attack in the game, meaning you'll be able to keep the extras, like the extra characters and normal characters can now access special classes like Gafgarion's Dark Knight class.  One thing is the patch seems to introduce a little bit of lag in the attack, but it could also be the recording or Youtube that introduces that judder like lag.  I haven't used the patch, just saw this and recommended it over the original PSP version.  I couldn't get through the PSP version because of the slowdown, but I can easily go back and play the PSX version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMvrZjhw72U

If you ever get around to playing FF4.  Don't play the GBA version.  The game is full of bugs, glitches, and lag.  Edge's back row boomerangs are considered front row weapons.  Another crappy port from Square Enix.  Complete Collection on the other hand is amazing.  I'd highly recommend playing it.  When you play it, don't be afraid to try stuff out that usually don't work often on most RPGs as well.  FF4 was one of the few RPGs that don't have the letters SMT where spells like slow, stop, and death, have a high accuracy rate.  Slow and stop are 100% on enemies that it affects while death is a high percentage.  The Dragon Quest games do too, but unless your allies that have death are on auto battle, it won't seem like it works on anyone.

Also.  Not RPG, but based on other games in your collection I'm assuming you're a Twisted Metal fan.  You've got all the Twisted Metal games except Small Brawl, 2012, and PS2 Head On.  But really.  You have Twisted Metal 3 and 4 but not 2012? 

I'm just kidding.  I'm a Twisted Metal fan as well and would highly recommend the PS3 game.  It's an amazing game that gets a lot of unwaranted hated.  Atleast partially unwaranted hate.  The online was complete garbage and I quit playing the game because of how bad it was.  It actually works now, but has a high chance if you're on an old model PS3 of crashing.  Just my luck.  If you get on now and play it, the random people on there are on like 12+ hours a day.  It's fun to play online, but it's more fun playing against friends. 

You can view 1 console at a time you know.

I'm looking aout for copies of Breath of Fire 1 & 2 for GBA. I really liked them on SNES. Do you know if they support sleep mode? I bought FFVI, the last GBA game published by Nintendo and it doesn't support sleep mode. I was shocked.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is high on my list, mostly because I don't trust my 360 and think it's going to break. So I want to beat all of its exclusives ASAP. Wii games are also high on my list because I won't let myself get a Wii U until I beat my Wii games. After that, my TDL is mostly compromised of games I don't own. MOST of the games listed are low on my TDL, that's why I don't even own them yet, but I do eventually want to own them.

For FF Tactics, despite the PSP versions shortcomings, I'll probably play it over the PSX version because A. I have a job which involves a lot of waiting, so I typically beat for handheld RPG's then consoles in a typical year and B. Cool anime cutscenes.

I will beat FFIV on PSP because of the bigger screen, better quality sound and graphics and...sleep function! Big factor, plus you have the epilogue.

I have Twisted Metal Small Brawl, it's not in the collection? I used to be a huge Twisted Metal fan when I owned my PS1 (It broke so I play PS1 games on PS2 now), and Black made me a Rolling Stones fan. However I am very disappointed with where the franchise has gone recently. I own Head on for PSP, I think the only TM game I don't own is 2012, and like I said I don't like where they went with the game. Twisted Metal for PS1 and PS2 pushed the consoles and the physics of the system, why do entire buildings fall when you shoot the corner in 2012? The game started out as an Arcade game and it feels like that.

If I were to make a TDL, off the top of my head it would go like this:

Console
Pandora's Tower
Catherine
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid Other M
Tales of Vesperia (I'm still not done, but a good way through)
Fallout New Vegas
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Bayonetta
Infinite Undiscovery
Baten Kaitos (At EndGame)
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (I want my gf to get as far as possible in it before I beat it. That way I legitimatly don't know what to do when we're stuck)
Chrono Cross
XenoGears (Haven't Finished)
Front Mission 4 (didn't beat the last 2 levels)
Front Mission 3
Skies of Arcadia
Shadow Heart Covananent
Suikoden 3 maybe I dunno after this.

Handheld
Jeanne d'Arc
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Crisis Core: FFVII
Tactics Ogre: LUCT
Final Fantasy VI
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Soma Bringer
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Breath of Fire III
Final Fantasy IV
Whatever I feel like playing at the time for PSP
Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals

However when I get a 3DS XL (I need a better battery, or at least a better colour), 3DS and DS games will jump to the top of my list

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Luigi's Mansion
Super Mario 3D Land
Tales of the Abyss 3D
Dragon Quest VI
Infinite Space
Dragon Quest IX
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Suikoden T
Dragon Quest IV

Then after all that the few GBA games I have to beat. Shing Force, Sword of Mana, FFV, Tactics Ogre

----

LOL quite a long to do list and PS1 games are at the bottom of consoles. My goal this year is to beat 10 home console RPG's, I've got 2 done with Mass Effect 3 and Nier, but I hear Pandora's Tower (Not JRPG) is short, and I'm nearly don'e Catherine, so that shouldn't take long. Plus Metroids are short games and I'm half through 3. I might get sick of Wii/360 JRPG's and I might boot up Chrono Cross/XenoGears though.

I'm seeing you are almost finishing Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube. If you liked the game, I would recommend Lost Kingdoms, which is also a card-based RPG, altough a much slower one compared to BK. I don't know if that's your type of game, but it's one of my favourite RPGs of the few GC had, along with Baten Kaitos.

RazorDragon said:
I'm seeing you are almost finishing Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube. If you liked the game, I would recommend Lost Kingdoms, which is also a card-based RPG, altough a much slower one compared to BK. I don't know if that's your type of game, but it's one of my favourite RPGs of the few GC had, along with Baten Kaitos.

I hate those ultimate weapon aquiring missions at the end of games to extend a game......

After Baten Kaitos, I think I'll play Baten Kaitos Origins. I didn't like BK because it's a card RPG, I liked it because I felt the story was fairly solid, and the art style kinda reminded me of what a console Golden Sun would have looked like (and that was the plan I recall).

I'll look into Lost Kingdoms....I looked into it, why have I not heard of this game before? Why was Tales of Symphonia the only hyped GCN JRPG?

Not sure if I'll get it, I think my list is getting too long. It's pretty cheap though, so at least I don't have to keep my eye peeled for a particularly cheap copy.

kain_kusanagi said:

Hey if you know what you like then there's no reason to waste your money on the rest.

BTW, Don't bother watching the Magic Knight Rayearth anime before playing the game. They are not connected. The game is pure Zelda style adventure but with the twist of having three characters with three different sets of weapons and magic abilities that you can switch between at any time. If you like Zelda than you'll like Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn. The anime is ok, but the game is fantastic. It's like A Link to the Past but so much more. The only negative, and it's minor, is that the begining of the game is very scripted to set up the story, but once you get past the first hour or so it opens up.

Was Rayearth released in the U.S.?  Note I actually read the manga and own the anime (Haven't watched it yet).  Shameless plug, but Crackle has Rayearth anime on there for free.  Plus a bunch of old anime, some new.