By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro RPG fans, if Shining Force worth getting into?

Tagged games:

darkknightkryta said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Hey if you know what you like then there's no reason to waste your money on the rest.

BTW, Don't bother watching the Magic Knight Rayearth anime before playing the game. They are not connected. The game is pure Zelda style adventure but with the twist of having three characters with three different sets of weapons and magic abilities that you can switch between at any time. If you like Zelda than you'll like Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn. The anime is ok, but the game is fantastic. It's like A Link to the Past but so much more. The only negative, and it's minor, is that the begining of the game is very scripted to set up the story, but once you get past the first hour or so it opens up.

Was Rayearth released in the U.S.?  Note I actually read the manga and own the anime (Haven't watched it yet).  Shameless plug, but Crackle has Rayearth anime on there for free.  Plus a bunch of old anime, some new.

Yes it was localised and enhanced by the legendary Working Designs and was the last official US Saturn release.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:

Yes it was localised and enhanced by the legendary Working Designs and was the last official US Saturn release.

Is it worth 100 dollars though?  Cause that's what I'm seeing it for on Ebay.

darkknightkryta said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Is it worth 100 dollars though?  Cause that's what I'm seeing it for on Ebay.

Wow. I didn't know it had gotten that expensive. I bought it used a year after it's release for less than $20. Back then nobody wanted it because the Saturn was dead in the water and it was an adventure game staring three teenage anime girls back when anime hadn't caught on in the USA.

Is it worth $100? That's a good question. If you really love Zelda style games it is a very good one and I can say it's one of the best Saturn exclusives. I think it's expensive because Working Desings went out of business and fans are trying to complete their collections. Working Designs was known for their special packaging and Magic Knight Rayeath is no exception. It has a metalic foil cover, full color manual/CD art and they released three versions of the CD art. That means some hardcore fans are buying up three copies so they have all three versions of the CD art. It's not super rare, but if collectors are hording three copies each than it artificialy inflates the price.

It's a really good game though. But you have to be able to enjoy anime styles and tropes. You don't have to know anything about the original manga or anime because the game is it's own thing and tells the whole story in it's own way. Sometimes it's cheesy and sometimes feels girly or at least kiddy. But as a action adventure RPG it's very good.