By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - EDGE 'always on, always connected' Durango SDK leak is real

TheFallen said:
Euphoria14 said:

Doesn't sound terrible to me.

Only thing I hope for is that if a game is installed, has a activation code and not played from the disc, will I be able to de-activate the game from that console, thus allowing me to buy/sell as used.

Nothing is for certain yet, but if for some reason this is like a one time use system and it kills my chances of buying and/or selling my games then I will keep away. I don't have unlimited funds these days, so for the first time ever, beginning this generation, I have been selling my games to buy new games. I don't buy them used.

Like I said though, nothing is for certain. For all we know we can install these games on multiple consoles, but I doubt this is the case. No doubt there HAS to be an activation code.

See that is exactly what I do too. People say second hand market doesn't put money back to developers, but I trade old games in to purchase BRAND NEW Games. The people buying the used games are essentially buying the new games for me.

yes but say you turn in halo and gears for cod so two for one.  those two used games will give the devloper any money when they are bought used.  So while it helps you buy the new game your also hurting the developer by putting two used games on the market

Around the Network
pezus said:
walsufnir said:
hinch said:
Wait.. why are people still babbling on about bluray. It's obvious the market was moving towards that. Last gen we had; games spanning across multiple disks, compressed videos, content reduced due to size restraints.. so on and so forth. If it wasn't so important, the Nextbox and Wii U (using similar technology) wouldn't have it.

main reason is movies.

What do games have? That's right...movies

Well, this gen concealed many game-parts as "ingame-rendered" when actually being a pre-rendered movie but I think next-gen most parts will be done using the ingame-engine.

KungKras said:
walsufnir said:
KungKras said:
walsufnir said:
KungKras said:

Mandatory installs will be pretty damn annoying. As if consoles aren't already PC lite.

There are already mandatory installs this gen.

I know, but supposedly it's standard on Durango.

Don't see a problem here, reduces loading-times by a lot. Why is it annoying? Also we don't know if Sony goes a different way. Also I prefer to install a game completely than just some parts of it as it stresses the ODD more and increases loudness and heat in the system.

As I said, installs are for PC, plug & play is for consoles.

I hate the line being blurred.

But MS said that you can start playing while installation is done. So it's still plug & play.

Azerth

Who's to say the person buying the used games would buy the brand new games though. Essentially the devs wouldn't get the money regardless. In the housing and car market the second hand market is the backbone of their respective markets.

NeilStrauss said:
Otakumegane said:
So basically

No used games. Always online. But access to all games at a given time.

Welp. That's that then.

But, what does that mean? You cannot turn it off? if the network fails you cannot play? I don´t get it. Also, probably means that XboxLive will be free this time, or at least the silver thingy to be able to play offline will still be free, I mean online but not at multiplayer, since it will be always connect, gee...

Always online just means that even when your console is "off" if it's plugged in it downloads updates.

Like how if you have steam it patches all your games automatically just so long as it and your computer is on.

Around the Network
TheFallen said:
Azerth

Who's to say the person buying the used games would buy the brand new games though. Essentially the devs wouldn't get the money regardless. In the housing and car market the second hand market is the backbone of their respective markets.

True there is no way of knowing and its something i dont think developers have really thought about when they say used games are a problem.

walsufnir said:

But MS said that you can start playing while installation is done. So it's still plug & play.

And it's still annoying.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
walsufnir said:

And it's still annoying.

??? Yeah, whatever.

BatMaxExposedWorld said:
Microsoft paying Sony and the bluray consortium would be the worst pr nightmare for microsoft.

Blogger: "Is it true that every xbox manufactured is profit for Sony???"

Microsoft: "Technically, no. Sony profits as early as the actual order is placed, this would be prior to the manufacturing phase.... ahem"

O.o
O.O
o.o
-.-

Sony would make very little profit from MS licensing Bluray. Sony is just one of many companies that would get some of the lisensing fees, and the fees wouldn't be that much to begin with. Much less than the $15 dollars MS gets for every Xperia phone sold thanks to mobile patents they own. 

Kasz216 said:
NeilStrauss said:
Otakumegane said:
So basically

No used games. Always online. But access to all games at a given time.

Welp. That's that then.

But, what does that mean? You cannot turn it off? if the network fails you cannot play? I don´t get it. Also, probably means that XboxLive will be free this time, or at least the silver thingy to be able to play offline will still be free, I mean online but not at multiplayer, since it will be always connect, gee...

Always online just means that even when your console is "off" if it's plugged in it downloads updates.

Like how if you have steam it patches all your games automatically just so long as it and your computer is on.

A good thing then, ok, point goes to MS.