By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - EDGE 'always on, always connected' Durango SDK leak is real

maverick40 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Seems like in the end Micro realized that Blu-ray isn't as unnecessary as they said years back, if the rumors are true.

Bluray was unncessary for the 7th gen. Especially for the price. Not a single PS3 game demonstrated we needed Bluray.

The Bluray hardware is cheap now and next gen games will require more space. Seems like a no brainer now.

false, a lot of the 1st party titles ran up to 20Gb

I repeat, using a lot of space on a Bluray doesn't convince me we needed Bluray for the 7th gen. The only real advantages we saw was less disc swaps and sharper video.

There were 3rd party games that used 20GB as well. While their Xbox countrerpart used a single DVD.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
maverick40 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Seems like in the end Micro realized that Blu-ray isn't as unnecessary as they said years back, if the rumors are true.

Bluray was unncessary for the 7th gen. Especially for the price. Not a single PS3 game demonstrated we needed Bluray.

The Bluray hardware is cheap now and next gen games will require more space. Seems like a no brainer now.

I repeat, using a lot of space on a Bluray doesn't convince me we needed Bluray for the 7th gen. The only real advantages we saw was less disc swaps and sharper movies.

There were 3rd party games that used 20GB as. While their Xbox countrerpart used a single DVD.

You're forgetting that bluray would've always stayed expensive if not for the PS3. You have to bite the bullet sometime. The reason why people were calling the PS3 futureproof.

Is it an actual install or a full game cache?

The original xbox had 3 750mb partitions that it used for caching games in the backgroung. I remember Ninja Gaiden Black load times were horrible when you first put the disc in but were much faster when I had done it's copying. The game stayed in the cache until you played something else, even if powered off.

This could be an evolution of that method. Put in the Halo 5 disc, 720 starts to cache as soon as it's launched until it's entirely stored on the HDD. It will stay there and load direct next time while checking the ODD to make sure you still own it. Start playing Destiny and it deletes the Halo 5 cache and starts the Destiny install. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum and it only needs 50gb of space.

Somini said:
Mr Puggsly said:
maverick40 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

I repeat, using a lot of space on a Bluray doesn't convince me we needed Bluray for the 7th gen. The only real advantages we saw was less disc swaps and sharper movies.

There were 3rd party games that used 20GB as. While their Xbox countrerpart used a single DVD.

You're forgetting that bluray would've always stayed expensive if not for the PS3. You have to bite the bullet sometime. The reason why people were calling the PS3 futureproof.

Yeah that was marketing. And wrong.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
Somini said:
Mr Puggsly said:
maverick40 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Yeah that was marketing. And wrong.

Nothing wrong about it. This is the reason why the PS3 is still selling and it's competitors are doing less and less.

Around the Network
tres said:
theprof00 said:
tres said:

whats wrong with this picture

sony fans read

"PS4 radically reduces the lag time between players and their content. PS4 features “suspend mode” which keeps the system in a low power state while preserving the game session. The time it takes today to boot a console and load a saved game will be a thing of the past. With PS4, gamers just hit the power button again and are promptly back playing the game at the exact point where they left off. Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4."

oooh nice feature

then they read

“Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use,” the document reads. “The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this “Always On, Always Connected” design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install games.”

thats the death of microsoft what a terrible idea

and xbros believe those two statements are identical.

i am not a loyalist to either i just want to play lol.... what part of them is not identical.

The entire part about being online.

teigaga said:

Oh God thanks, I completely forgot that I had a different Xbox back in 2009!!!

Go to Xbox.com, do a search on License Transfer OR using Twitter, @XboxSupport ask how to do a license transfer.

Wait.. why are people still babbling on about bluray. It's obvious the market was moving towards that. Last gen we had; games spanning across multiple disks, compressed videos, content reduced due to size restraints.. so on and so forth. If it wasn't so important, the Nextbox and Wii U (using similar technology) wouldn't have it.

TimCliveroller said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
TimCliveroller said:
I want to argue with somebody. I wanna take sides. All I get is being ignored. Yet I still don't understand why so much talk over something unconfirmed.

If you want people to engage you in conversation just choose one of the following as your opening sentence:

1) lol as I thought, no one is going to buy the Nextbox

2) lol the only ones that believe this are Sony fanboys, the ones that came up with this rumor to begin with

3) Nextbox could charge you everytime you turn it on and still would sell more than the WiiU

Thank you for your wise answer. I will try hard. I promise.

No you won't!  That's just your pathetic excuse for an opinion!  How dare you!

kowenicki said:
Mr Khan said:
If indeed true, that's one down. Now we'll just need to wait for the shitstorm from consumers, and see what PS4 is doing.

If what is true and what does "one down" mean?

This rumor, and Microsoft being an almost immediate also-ran. Imagine what Gamestop would do if a no-used-games rule were in effect, why, they'd advertise the Wii U (and maybe PS4) all by themselves and marginalize the Durango.

The market for used 360 games is huge. If Microsoft kills that, game over.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.