By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales: Famitsu & Media create - Week 11 ( Mar 11 - Mar 17 )

The 3DS should pass 11million LTD in next weeks results in at least one of the trackers. ~1.7million behind the Wii. With a few big spikes here and there it should get there well before the end of the year.

VGChartz

Around the Network

So who was the guy who predicted 500k FW for Kingdom Hearts ?
Show yourself !

pokoko said:
I'm puzzled by the people expressing surprise over Soul Sacrifice's drop. What did they expect from a new IP in Japan? It appears to be trending about the same as other games with the same opening week, and perhaps a bit ahead, which I think is very good for a game that isn't a sequel. I kind of get the feeling that some people are inflating their expectations so they can be "disappointed", to be honest.

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus dropped from 91k to 16k and it's an established franchised. Professor Layton opened at 132k and dropped to 30k--again, an established franchise, but also on a system with an exponentially higher installed base. And are people serious with the Monster Hunter comparisons, which is on its 108th version? I admit that I found that more than a bit amusing.

Vita hardware sales also seem to be fine, with the third week being more than half of the second week, which was itself pretty good.

people like to make up extraordinarily high expectations for a console or game just so they can hate and say it's lower than expected, especially an exclusive to Vita and Vita itself.  When in fact they were the only ones expecting it to stay so high.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Aerys said:

Good Vita numbers !

Soul Sacrifice sold 160k in 2 weeks ! ( +40k of bundle double units )

Remember its a new IP guys, so its good. ( even a game appealing to a larger public like Bravely Default sold 180k in 2 weeks with a similar drop, and its now at 300k )

With DD sales it looks it's closer to 200K. 

Next week is 200K surely. Pretty great if you ask me.

milkyjoe said:
The 3DS should pass 11million LTD in next weeks results in at least one of the trackers. ~1.7million behind the Wii. With a few big spikes here and there it should get there well before the end of the year.

yeah only 110K needed now, could it top PSP LT sales between late 2014 and mid 2015?

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:

Yeah only 110K needed now, could it top PSP LT sales between late 2014 and mid 2015?

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

pokoko said:
I'm puzzled by the people expressing surprise over Soul Sacrifice's drop. What did they expect from a new IP in Japan? It appears to be trending about the same as other games with the same opening week, and perhaps a bit ahead, which I think is very good for a game that isn't a sequel. I kind of get the feeling that some people are inflating their expectations so they can be "disappointed", to be honest.

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus dropped from 91k to 16k and it's an established franchised. Professor Layton opened at 132k and dropped to 30k--again, an established franchise, but also on a system with an exponentially higher installed base. And are people serious with the Monster Hunter comparisons, which is on its 108th version? I admit that I found that more than a bit amusing.

Vita hardware sales also seem to be fine, with the third week being more than half of the second week, which was itself pretty good.

That's what a normal person would think, but a lot of people (not on this specifically) thought SS was going to be Vita's savior in Japan and that it was gonna be the next Monster Hunter (I heard some people saying that). So this will bring a lot of disappointment for some people (and I'm sure that includes a few users on this site).

Nintendo and PC gamer

Nice Kindom Hearts number.

Good hold for Vita, next week numbers will be intresting when One Piece release.

Good hold for Soul Sacrifice. So in the end i think it will settle between 250k-300k units in japan with digital sales. Not bad for a new ip. And also what up with all that monster hunter comparisions. Did people think MH was so big overnights. It also has needed time to grow.

I hoped GoW:A would do better in Japan, 20k in 3 days is okay for a Western game though, it should hit 30k-35k first week in Japan. Still, GoW3 went on to sell over 420k in Japan (more than DMC4 on 360 + PS3) so hopefully GoW:A can leg it to around 150k-200k units in Japan lifetime.

VGKing said:
Soundwave said:

I think Vita will normalize around the 15k-18k/week range. It's still in its honeymoon phase from the price drop/game releases.

Soul Sacrifice is obviously no Monster Hunter. 

No, it isn't but look at the first PSP Monster Hunter and how it sold its first 10 weeks.

Week EndingWeekWeeklyChangeTotal
03rd December 2005 1 122,941 N/A 122,941
10th December 2005 2 60,095 -51.1% 183,036
17th December 2005 3 32,566 -45.8% 215,602
24th December 2005 4 38,643 18.7% 254,245
31st December 2005 5 34,932 -9.6% 289,177
07th January 2006 6 38,805 11.1% 327,982
14th January 2006 7 29,793 -23.2% 357,775
21st January 2006 8 26,251 -11.9% 384,026
28th January 2006 9 19,669 -25.1% 403,695
04th February 2006 10 19,349 -1.6% 423,044

Soul Sacrifice is performing worse, but consider the fact that Monster Hunter was made popular by the PS2 games. For a new IP, Soul Sacrifice is selling well and if it can reach at least 500k lifetime, that would be amazing.

500k LT, ....erm no. SS will sell relevant numbers for maybe a month, say that at that time PSV HW stands at 1.5m, do you realise what kind of attach rate will it need? You are quoting MH sales, but check the first week drop, it's ~20% less than SS.

VGKing said:

I just noticed that AC has outsol Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros on 3DS. Wow. 
You hear that Nintendo? People actually care about games if they don't have Mario in them. No, Luigi isn't the solution to the problem.

You just noticed it? I mean, just noticed it? Ok. And if your point is that Nintendo needs to release new IPs, animal crossing is not a new IP. And Luigi's Mansion was a fantastic game, and it deserved a sequel.

@People focusing on SS drop. Sell through was rather high, this drop is expected. If there were shortages, and new shipments, next week hold will be better.