By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's down, but not out.

lt_dan_27 said:

How many more times can nintendo make the same games over and over before people want change? I'm saying it, every mario kart and pokemon game is basically the same thing. 

Games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 3, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and the Wii ___ series all showed that Nintendo continues to reinvent and innovate instead of just making "basically the same thing."

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Brawl was a gargantuan system seller. There is no doubt at all. If you understand the Nintendo player base, you'll understand that millions of consoles were sold on the promise of that game. A 400k spike on the release date is only the tip of the iceberg, most were sold before that based on hype, and after based on word of mouth and playing with friend's copies. To understand this you need to understand the power of what the game embodies; not only the representation of the childhood/teenage years of millions of gamers thru Melee, but it epitomisation of the local multiplayer casual-core bridging social experience that has been Nintendo's main source of sales since the N64.

Do you have any evidence for this whatsoever? Because the sales, looking at just the raw sales, it isnt backed up whatsoever and looks to be complete speculation. 

Those millions of gamers are now hitting their mid-twenties, in other words too old to be investing in consoles for one game as they are busy doing other things. Also MP has evolved past local play and gone online, something Nintendo games have not done. Expecting people to stick to an outdated forumla through nostalgia this time around is wishful thinking.

curl-6 said:
lt_dan_27 said:

How many more times can nintendo make the same games over and over before people want change? I'm saying it, every mario kart and pokemon game is basically the same thing. 

Games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 3, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and the Wii ___ series all showed that Nintendo continues to reinvent and innovate instead of just making "basically the same thing."

Dude, stop it, youre trying to make sense with people unable to understand, just be happy that you caught the right train.

Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

Brawl was a gargantuan system seller. There is no doubt at all. If you understand the Nintendo player base, you'll understand that millions of consoles were sold on the promise of that game. A 400k spike on the release date is only the tip of the iceberg, most were sold before that based on hype, and after based on word of mouth and playing with friend's copies. To understand this you need to understand the power of what the game embodies; not only the representation of the childhood/teenage years of millions of gamers thru Melee, but it epitomisation of the local multiplayer casual-core bridging social experience that has been Nintendo's main source of sales since the N64.

Do you have any evidence for this whatsoever? Because the sales, looking at just the raw sales, it isnt backed up whatsoever and looks to be complete speculation. 

Those millions of gamers are now hitting their mid-twenties, in other words too old to be investing in consoles for one game as they are busy doing other things. Also MP has evolved past local play and gone online, something Nintendo games have not done. Expecting people to stick to an outdated forumla through nostalgia this time around is wishful thinking.

i like how you tell people to show you proof, but then you go around saying stuff without proof lmao. Mid 20's? Really?! I was 12 years old playing SSBM with lots of people in their 20's. Its very competitive game tht also suits casuals. Where is your proof that mid 20's dont play SSB? WTH seriously pls dont ask others to prove something while you cant do the same. 1 last thing, 12% in gaming is a huge success, A FREAKING HUGE SUCCESS!!! cuz in your logic every game failed on PS2, when thats the best console ever made.

Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

The evidence was written all across the internet and the offine gaming scene throughout 2007 and 2008. No offense, but if you don't see it then you clearly weren't in touch with the Nintendo side of gaming around that time. The evidence is in the Wii's massive 2008 hardware sales.

People being tipped into buying a console by one game =/= buying it JUST for that game. It only has to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

And you underestimate the continued power of local play; at parties and social gathering with friends, people still cluster around a screen to play in fours. This social aspect can't be replicated by playing with people thousands of miles away.

Around the Network

I really have no idea how the Wii U will perform as the next few years unfold. Nobody else does either.

I can only say that I will not be purchasing it. In our house we have the Wii, the 360 and the PS3. The 360 is used by my son regularly. My console of choice is the PS3 and my son uses it for Sony exclusives. After about six months regular use the attraction of the Wii waned and the only person that used it with any regularity was my wife. Even she tired of it after a while and it has lain idle now for well over a year.

The Wii U holds no attraction for any of us. The PS4, on the other hand, is something my son and I are eagerly looking forward to.

Of course this is only my intended course of action and is no indicator of larger trends but i suspect that our user experience is not uncommon. If I am right, I would fear for the long term sales health of the Wii u.

curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

The evidence was written all across the internet and the offine gaming scene throughout 2007 and 2008. No offense, but if you don't see it then you clearly weren't in touch with the Nintendo side of gaming around that time. The evidence is in the Wii's massive 2008 hardware sales.

People being tipped into buying a console by one game =/= buying it JUST for that game. It only has to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

And you underestimate the continued power of local play; at parties and social gathering with friends, people still cluster around a screen to play in fours. This social aspect can't be replicated by playing with people thousands of miles away.

No it wasn't.

My argument has just as much evidence as yours. Either provide evidence, or it's just a guess. 

People have a wii for local play. See the issue?

Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

No it wasn't.

My argument has just as much evidence as yours. Either provide evidence, or it's just a guess. 

People have a wii for local play. See the issue?

Like I said, you're clearly not familiar with SSB's audience or the impact Brawl made in '08. I don't need to back up common knowledge.

And the Wii won't play Smash Bros U or Mario Kart U.

I have fond memories of playing the original Super Smash Bros as a teenager. I remember clearly playing with my friends, and I spent more time on that game than I did on any other game save for many Final Fantasy Tactics. Since then, I've bought a Nintendo home console every gen JUST to make sure I could get the newest smash bros. game. I remember loving Smash bros. even when I went through the phase of "Nintendo is for Kids, Blood and gore is the only thing that makes games awesome" I was constantly playing Smash Bros. I eventually grew up, became comfortable with my masculinity, and fully supported Nintendo again, just because the games are fun. Course, I've got a PS2 and a PS3. I bought a PS3 at launch, and I stll have it to this day, but I've got more Wii games than PS3 games. Anyway, I've strayed off topic. To put it short, I'll happily buy Nintendo systems just for ONE of their games, because they're fun. I know hardcore xbox fans who went out and bought the wii JUST for Smash bros brawl, and ended up buying games like Metriod prime 3 and Mario Galaxy. Like I said in an earlier post, I don't have a Wii U yet, because I've been broke, but now that my finances have improved, I'll be getting one ASAP. 

I'm the result of someone exclusively playing Final Fantasy XI from the PS2 release till 2010, and only stopping for small bouts of catch up. 

3DS Friend Code: Tate - Uh.. stuff happened... I need to get a new 3DS 

Switch FC: SW-3272-7705-6029

If you add me, please let me know so I can add you back. =D

FFXI Character: Formally Tatewaki of Cerberus, Now Arngrim Of Sylph.  Retired forever. ; ;

FFXIV Character: Tate Raken of Hyperion

All time favorite game: Chrono Trigger. 

All time favorite Manga: One piece... Followed by Ranma 1/2. 

__XBrawlX__ said:

I've been reading a lot of comments lately concerning who will come out on top once the 8th gen is over with, and there seems to be a general sense that most people think that Ninetndo is done for.

Why do you think this? The console's sales are drastically low right now, but this is Nintendo. A pokemon game? Mario Kart? Super Smash Bros!? When these titles and others like them begin to launch, does anyone believe the sales will remain at the level that they are at? For those of you counting out Nintendo from 1st, or even 2nd place for next gen, maybe you should step back, take a breath, and relax. Who would've thought that the Playstation wouldve destroyed the N64 like it did, or that the PS3 would recover from its situation in 06-08.

Well the baseline is probably Gamecube sales, which will cover all the Nintendo fans. Then you add the amount of "casual" audience they get, which they seemed to overestimate. It didn't captivate people like the Wii did, and as it ages it's much less likely to suddenly become popular. So far, this doesn't make a 1st or 2nd place console. All that's left are transitioning gamers from PS3 and 360.

To me, that is the focus now. What does the Wii U offer to someone who owns a PS3/360? You can't really include any old Nintendo franchises, because if they had any interest they would have been buying Nintendo by now. I would genuinely like to know what Nintendo are thinking. I don't want the Wii U to be useless for anything other than first party games, and I want them to prove that we wouldn't all get the same experience if they went third party.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89