By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's down, but not out.

Osc89 said:
__XBrawlX__ said:

I've been reading a lot of comments lately concerning who will come out on top once the 8th gen is over with, and there seems to be a general sense that most people think that Ninetndo is done for.

Why do you think this? The console's sales are drastically low right now, but this is Nintendo. A pokemon game? Mario Kart? Super Smash Bros!? When these titles and others like them begin to launch, does anyone believe the sales will remain at the level that they are at? For those of you counting out Nintendo from 1st, or even 2nd place for next gen, maybe you should step back, take a breath, and relax. Who would've thought that the Playstation wouldve destroyed the N64 like it did, or that the PS3 would recover from its situation in 06-08.

Well the baseline is probably Gamecube sales, which will cover all the Nintendo fans. Then you add the amount of "casual" audience they get, which they seemed to overestimate. It didn't captivate people like the Wii did, and as it ages it's much less likely to suddenly become popular. So far, this doesn't make a 1st or 2nd place console. All that's left are transitioning gamers from PS3 and 360.

To me, that is the focus now. What does the Wii U offer to someone who owns a PS3/360? You can't really include any old Nintendo franchises, because if they had any interest they would have been buying Nintendo by now. I would genuinely like to know what Nintendo are thinking. I don't want the Wii U to be useless for anything other than first party games, and I want them to prove that we wouldn't all get the same experience if they went third party.

Well, I'm pretty darn sure I can't get Mario, or Smash Bros., or Zelda, or Kirby, or Metriod, ect, on the ps360. The only reason I bought a PS3 back in the day was the promise of FFXIII, which crushed my hopes and dreams. Since then I've only bought maybe 8 games on it, and only a few of them were the hot 3rd party games. I'm fairly certain there are others out there like me that aren't capivated by the newest Uncharted or Halo, and would rather sink their teeth into something like Disgaea 4 or a new 3D Mario game. 

I'm the result of someone exclusively playing Final Fantasy XI from the PS2 release till 2010, and only stopping for small bouts of catch up. 

3DS Friend Code: Tate - Uh.. stuff happened... I need to get a new 3DS 

Switch FC: SW-3272-7705-6029

If you add me, please let me know so I can add you back. =D

FFXI Character: Formally Tatewaki of Cerberus, Now Arngrim Of Sylph.  Retired forever. ; ;

FFXIV Character: Tate Raken of Hyperion

All time favorite game: Chrono Trigger. 

All time favorite Manga: One piece... Followed by Ranma 1/2. 

Around the Network

@curl-6

You do realize of coarse that your lists amount to about two really good games per year. That qualifies as starvation. While the other platforms average six or more per year. That qualifies as being well fed. Not to mention the fact that Nintendo was never consistent in delivery. They would leave players hanging for months on end without anything, but casual crap. I think it also needs to be said that your eye for quality is quite obviously atrocious. Either that or you were trying to pad your list.

A good number of titles on your list did not achieve a meta score of over ninety. Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario, both of the Kirby Games, one of the Metroids, Mario Kart, and none of the Donkey Kong games qualify as fantastic console exclusives. Ruminate on this for a moment. The Wii had all of fourteen games with a meta rating of ninety or higher. While the 360 had fifty, and the PS3 had forty five. There just isn't any comparison. The Wii was just plain bereft of really good games.

It isn't my imagination. It is yours for actually thinking the platform had a lot of fantastic first party titles. Which it plainly did not. Which wasn't always the case with Nintendo platforms. On my N64 I could count on a great core game once every two to three months, and if Nintendo wasn't supplying the game then Rare was. Two games sometimes coming all of twelve months apart. Sticking with the Wii demanded some insane sacrifices on the part of gamers. Most couldn't live on the Wii alone, or were forced to relocate just to have enough games to satisfy their hobby. That is Nintendo for you. By any chance is any of this story at all sounding similiar to what is currently going on with the current console?

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

lt_dan_27 said:
__XBrawlX__ said:

I've been reading a lot of comments lately concerning who will come out on top once the 8th gen is over with, and there seems to be a general sense that most people think that Ninetndo is done for.

Why do you think this? The console's sales are drastically low right now, but this is Nintendo. A pokemon game? Mario Kart? Super Smash Bros!? When these titles and others like them begin to launch, does anyone believe the sales will remain at the level that they are at? For those of you counting out Nintendo from 1st, or even 2nd place for next gen, maybe you should step back, take a breath, and relax. Who would've thought that the Playstation wouldve destroyed the N64 like it did, or that the PS3 would recover from its situation in 06-08.

The generation is barely started, so before you count Nintendo out, remember that the PS4 and 720 are not even launched yet. Anything can happen. Have an open mind.

^_^ Don't be so garsh dang negative :P Especially when we have 6+ years left to this race!!!

(I realize telling the Forums not to be negative is like telling a toddler that they can't have a toy, but it feels like this needs to be said... At least for the rational among us!)

How many more times can nintendo make the same games over and over before people want change? I'm saying it, every mario kart and pokemon game is basically the same thing. It's also a little worrisome that almost every platform has outsold the wiiU almost every week since its release. They are down, and if they don't change what they are doing, they are out. 

You just don't have a clue do you? This kinda show how biased you are. Mario Kart might not change all that much from installment to installment, but there is only ONE Mario Kart released for each Nintendo console, unlike Uncharted that got 3 games for the PS3 - and it's essentially the same game all 3 games - and Mass Effect got 3 games with very little change in between the games, and Halo has gotten 5 (FIVE) games where very little differ between the different versions. How long can they keep up these franchises when so little is changed between the sequels? They're basically the same games, and they are released far more often than a Mario Kart game.

And every major Nintendo game sequel is quite different between each installment. Just look up Zelda Twilight Princess and Zelda Skyward Sword; they have the same basics but they are quite different. Or look up Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine. Or Metroid Prime and Metroid Other M.

Clueless.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

tbone51 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

Brawl was a gargantuan system seller. There is no doubt at all. If you understand the Nintendo player base, you'll understand that millions of consoles were sold on the promise of that game. A 400k spike on the release date is only the tip of the iceberg, most were sold before that based on hype, and after based on word of mouth and playing with friend's copies. To understand this you need to understand the power of what the game embodies; not only the representation of the childhood/teenage years of millions of gamers thru Melee, but it epitomisation of the local multiplayer casual-core bridging social experience that has been Nintendo's main source of sales since the N64.

Do you have any evidence for this whatsoever? Because the sales, looking at just the raw sales, it isnt backed up whatsoever and looks to be complete speculation. 

Those millions of gamers are now hitting their mid-twenties, in other words too old to be investing in consoles for one game as they are busy doing other things. Also MP has evolved past local play and gone online, something Nintendo games have not done. Expecting people to stick to an outdated forumla through nostalgia this time around is wishful thinking.

i like how you tell people to show you proof, but then you go around saying stuff without proof lmao. Mid 20's? Really?! I was 12 years old playing SSBM with lots of people in their 20's. Its very competitive game tht also suits casuals. Where is your proof that mid 20's dont play SSB? WTH seriously pls dont ask others to prove something while you cant do the same. 1 last thing, 12% in gaming is a huge success, A FREAKING HUGE SUCCESS!!! cuz in your logic every game failed on PS2, when thats the best console ever made.

Ain't that the truth!! He never backs up his claims, and yet asks others to do so. And he always avoid posts that are a bit too uncomfortable.

Dodece said:

@curl-6

You do realize of coarse that your lists amount to about two really good games per year. That qualifies as starvation. While the other platforms average six or more per year. That qualifies as being well fed.

A good number of titles on your list did not achieve a meta score of over ninety. Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario, both of the Kirby Games, one of the Metroids, Mario Kart, and none of the Donkey Kong games qualify as fantastic console exclusives. Ruminate on this for a moment. The Wii had all of fourteen games with a meta rating of ninety or higher. While the 360 had fifty, and the PS3 had forty five. There just isn't any comparison. The Wii was just plain bereft of really good games.

It isn't my imagination. It is yours for actually thinking the platform had a lot of fantastic first party titles. Which it plainly did not.

This is what I gather from your reasoning:

PS360 had a more consistent flow of good games.

A good game has to have a score of 90 or more on metacritic.

You are saying that Wii didn't have a lot of fantastic first party titles, which kind of sums up the other two points you made before; PS360 had more consistent flow of good (1st party) games than Wii.

Let's just say that we're talking about exclusive games here, alright? You brought up the 1st party games criteria, but let's say that we're talking about exclusives.

PS3 had 13 games with a score at or above 90 at metacritic (even though some of them appeared on other Sony platforms)

Xbox360 had 11 games with a score at or above 90 at metacritic

Wii had 8 games with a score at or above 90 at metacritic (although some of them appeared on other Nintendo devices)

This tells us that Wii did NOT suffer from the lack of good exclusive games, like you want to make it out to have done. It got almost as many good games as Xbox360 in fact. And this isn't even talking about the 1st party line ups. This is exclusives. Now, what would happen if we took away all the 3rd party exclusives?

As far as good 1st party games are concerned, Wii had quite a few of them. Fact.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
tbone51 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

Brawl was a gargantuan system seller. There is no doubt at all. If you understand the Nintendo player base, you'll understand that millions of consoles were sold on the promise of that game. A 400k spike on the release date is only the tip of the iceberg, most were sold before that based on hype, and after based on word of mouth and playing with friend's copies. To understand this you need to understand the power of what the game embodies; not only the representation of the childhood/teenage years of millions of gamers thru Melee, but it epitomisation of the local multiplayer casual-core bridging social experience that has been Nintendo's main source of sales since the N64.

Do you have any evidence for this whatsoever? Because the sales, looking at just the raw sales, it isnt backed up whatsoever and looks to be complete speculation. 

Those millions of gamers are now hitting their mid-twenties, in other words too old to be investing in consoles for one game as they are busy doing other things. Also MP has evolved past local play and gone online, something Nintendo games have not done. Expecting people to stick to an outdated forumla through nostalgia this time around is wishful thinking.

i like how you tell people to show you proof, but then you go around saying stuff without proof lmao. Mid 20's? Really?! I was 12 years old playing SSBM with lots of people in their 20's. Its very competitive game tht also suits casuals. Where is your proof that mid 20's dont play SSB? WTH seriously pls dont ask others to prove something while you cant do the same. 1 last thing, 12% in gaming is a huge success, A FREAKING HUGE SUCCESS!!! cuz in your logic every game failed on PS2, when thats the best console ever made.

Ain't that the truth!! He never backs up his claims, and yet asks others to do so. And he always avoid posts that are a bit too uncomfortable.

the worst part is he keeps going on post after post lol. Oh well, shouldn't get worked up i guess

tbone51 said:
DanneSandin said:
tbone51 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:

the worst part is he keeps going on post after post lol. Oh well, shouldn't get worked up i guess

Yeah, we really shouldn't but sometime things are too irksome just to ignore ^^

trestres said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

My point was that it was offering the same multiplatform games rather than any that have noticable improvements e.g. NFS:MW on the PS2 compared to 360. 

Also it's lacking exclusives. As Mario Karts isn't a core game, same can be said with Zelda, it means that a lot is riding on Smash Bro's which has never been a massively popular genre. 

Zelda not a core game? Why, cos it's not spraying blood everywhere and showing Zelda's breasts?

And Smash Bros Brawl sold over 10 million, if that's "not massively popular" then pretty much nothing outside of Maro, COD, Pokemon and Wii Sports is.

Nope - because it's really, really easy. 
10 million units on a console that has sold 99 million +. Proportionally, that's not very good when we consider the amount of units sold on the other consoles which have almost 30 millions less sales than the wii. 

Who is the judge when it comes to a game being easy or not? Which is the bar? You?

Is Zelda a very easy game? I really don't think it's "really easy" for the masses, it's quite difficult to complete 100% and easy to get stuck with, not for a long time follower of the series like myself or you perhaps, but yes for those just starting or not accustomed to play puzzle or quest solving games/enemy fights. And Zelda's difficulty doesn't emanate from other players, as opposed with multiplayer heavy games like COD or Halo, it comes from the imaginative and carefully crafted design by very capable and talented devs. Nintendo does try to help the player, now more than in previous gens, there are far more hints and things are easier to spot in order not to get stuck, or you have the super guide, but that's your choice, I choose not to spoil anything and continue until I overcome the hurdle. Find me any game which single player campaign lasts an average of 50 hours, JUST to finish it for the first time, not going for 100%.

By your definition no game is really hard, therefore not hardcore. Halo is easy, Assassin's Creed is easy, Prince of Persia is easy, Resident Evil is easy, Dead Space is easy. I mean, I have had no problems with those games, therefore they must becasual games, because I am the bar which needs to be followed if you want to know if a game is hardcore or not. I've found Candy Crush Saga (A facebook game) quite more difficult than Resident Evil 5 and I've proabably poured more hours into it. Hence we can conclude that RE5 is an game which should be dismissed by cores due to its inherent status of "easy", and people should definitely embrace games like Lost Bubble or Candy Crush Saga due to their superiority as they are harder. Let's just ignore the production values, the replay value, the design value of such games. If you can't finish a game, then that's a true core game. Games you can finish, wtf, they are so easy, not worth anyone's time.

Moving on, Smash Bros Brawl is definitely a failure. 11.5 million games, on a userbase of 100 million? around 10% of all potential sales is horrific. However, when this mediocre selling game number 8 in the best selling Wii exclusive list, beats single handedly all exclusive PS3 games and all but one of the 360 exclusives, then we can know for a fact that PS3 and 360 are not machines that many people want, they are niche. The only popular and acclaimed game outside of Wii's other 7 games on top of Smash, is Kinect Adventures. The 360 is clearly a casual machine, as we can conclude from this very educated and thought out post. Not our fault that we have garnered the education that was needed to see things that no one did before.

Oh man, I laughed so much reading this post.

Spot on!

xD

curl-6 said:
Mazty said:
curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

My point was that it was offering the same multiplatform games rather than any that have noticable improvements e.g. NFS:MW on the PS2 compared to 360. 

Also it's lacking exclusives. As Mario Karts isn't a core game, same can be said with Zelda, it means that a lot is riding on Smash Bro's which has never been a massively popular genre. 

Zelda not a core game? Why, cos it's not spraying blood everywhere and showing Zelda's breasts?

And Smash Bros Brawl sold over 10 million, if that's "not massively popular" then pretty much nothing outside of Maro, COD, Pokemon and Wii Sports is.

Nope - because it's really, really easy. 
10 million units on a console that has sold 99 million +. Proportionally, that's not very good when we consider the amount of units sold on the other consoles which have almost 30 millions less sales than the wii. 

Uncharted, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Mass Effect, and Skyrim are easy too, but I bet you'd call at least some of them "core" games.

And regardless of install base, 10 million plus IS a massive number for a console exclusive. And it's predecessor, Melee, sold 7 million on the 22 million selling Gamecube.

Play Uncharted on crushing or Halo on Legendary....

That's not my definition of easy. 

But I do agree with the point you're trying to get across. Seriously, this guy have no idea what casual, core and hardcore gaming means. Mario Kart, a casual game? Maybe if you only judge it by its look... But anyone who has actually played a Mario Kart game knows how difficult the game can be on the hardest difficulty levels.

curl-6 said:
Mazty said:

No it wasn't.

My argument has just as much evidence as yours. Either provide evidence, or it's just a guess. 

People have a wii for local play. See the issue?

Like I said, you're clearly not familiar with SSB's audience or the impact Brawl made in '08. I don't need to back up common knowledge.

And the Wii won't play Smash Bros U or Mario Kart U.

Actually it's clear you're not aware of how to provide evidence and how useless a reply is without giving any sort of evidence. Lololol fallacy dood, burden of proof is on you to prove your point. 

How many gamers really desire to upgrade to this gen graphics for $300 for a casual game?