By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U Initial Sales Better Than PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360?

DietSoap said:
Soundwave said:
It's starting to trend behind the PS3 in the US anyway.

The PS3 sold 124k or so its first February (Feb 2007), the Wii U did 66k, so PS3 was almost double the Wii U for the corresponding month, which is pretty sad when you consider the PS3 was $500/$600 at that time with no games either.

Not to mention the PS3 had to deal with the way cheaper and super hyped Wii launching right along side with it, the 360 competing directly $200 cheaper with Gears of War, and last gen consoles. Wii U only has to compete with last gen consoles, and it's already selling at less than half the rate month to month even though the industry has grown since then.

Who cares? What you're trying to do is justify the PS3 sales by saying its problems. Why then would the Wii U's sales not be justified by its problems? Huge drought of games since launch, most games are late ports, only a few first party titles, minimal storage, hard to sell gimmick, not a huge graphical leap, more expensive than any other system, and yet the Wii U has sold 2.7 million in four months. That's impressive.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
I don't respond to long posts ever, I just get too bored to even bother and I don't find it worth it in all honesty. Nothing against you, I ignore every long post.

Also, I think 50mil is optimistic though realistic. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 50mil but I would be surprised if it reached higher than that... and wouldn't be surprised if it were lower

Same lol I don' bother reading essay's that people write to me on the internet.

KingHades said:
I don't respond to long posts ever, I just get too bored to even bother and I don't find it worth it in all honesty. Nothing against you, I ignore every long post.

Also, I think 50mil is optimistic though realistic. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 50mil but I would be surprised if it reached higher than that... and wouldn't be surprised if it were lower

Well, you're both so cool: "I don't read anything so that I have to change my believe in wrong myths." Well, so you basically both are saying discussion with you is useless, because you will not read anything about facts or data. Good to know.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

badgenome said:
bananaking21 said:
the launch of the system was really good. numbers were really solid, but then sales dropped like a rock

Sounds familiar.

Your right , however the cliff Vita went off came a lot quicker....

Mnementh said:
KingHades said:

Well, you're both so cool: "I don't read anything so that I have to change my believe in wrong myths." Well, so you basically both are saying discussion with you is useless, because you will not read anything about facts or data. Good to know.

No, I'm saying it's an art form to be able to directly get your point across in a timely manner and people should learn how to do it if they want a response from me. Politicians need to learn it. Teachers need to learn it.

Around the Network

No, I'm saying it's an art form to be able to directly get your point across in a timely manner and people should learn how to do it if they want a response from me. Politicians need to learn it. Teachers need to learn it.

I was, but you both were spinning the point. KingHades was pointing out, that the PS3 was launching later. I proofed with sales-data, that even considering the later launch the WiiU sold betetr initially. In a short post. Since then you both sidestepped the argument and added much spin. So the long post was needed to address all the spin brought up in between.

But to keep it short: as long as you don't counter my proof (based on sales-data), it is crystal clear that WiiU outsold PS3 at launch, even including european launch for PS3. After that sales dropped below the momentum of the PS3, but the topic of this thread are the initial sales.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

I have provided solid sales figures. Your data is flawed since you are sourcingVGC. My data is 100% more accurate than yours... ya know... because it's straight from the companies financials.

Ps3 shipped 3.5mil at the end of March with 1 week of European numbers. Wii U has shipped 3mil at the end of December and has reached lower sales than the Ps3 did.

Only spin here is you by talking about initial sales when we have so much better data since then to compare.

__XBrawlX__ said:

Handy little chart for people to clarify how the WiiU is doing in comparison to last gen consoles first weekson the market! You can thank me later!

Nice. So it´s clear that the WiiU did better than Xbox 360 and PS3 on its first six weeks and any of those consoles were able to beat Wii sales on the first 15 weeks. Thanks a lot for that. So we can say for sure that WiiU initial sales were really better than PS3 and 360, exactely as the title of this thread says, for that period.

Of course, people here will interpret your table according to their personal tastes and, of course, fanboyism, what is a shame

In 2013 Wii U sold 182k in Japan

In 2007 Ps3 sold 307k in Japan

Ps3 sold 125k more in Japan than Wii U from Jan - present

In 2007 Ps3 sold 244k in Jan and 127k in Feb in US.

In 2013 Wii U sold 57k in Jan and 63k in Feb in the US

Ps3 sold 250k more in US than Wii U from Jan - Feb

NOW HERE IS THE KICKER! Ps3 shipped 1.8mil in this quarter.

1.8 MILLION YOU SAY? Well take away 375k Ps3 sold more than the Wii U and you still get 1.425million. Add that to the 3mil Nintendo already has and you get 4.425mil from nintendo! THATS GREAT! 4.425 > 3.5 mil Ps3 had.... oh but wait... 1 mil of that 1.8mil Ps3 shipped went directly to Europe... Nintendo won't be shipping anywhere near that in Europe this quarter. So in Japan and US Nintendo's strongest market by far you get 425k shipped AT BEST (though most likely less than this because Wii U won't be matching Ps3's shipments)... Nintendo needs to ship 75k to match the Ps3's shipments from the same time. Possible? Obviously, but it won't be a significant difference... and considering the Ps3 missed 80% of the quarter in it's best region... I can't see how anyone would try to compare the two to say Wii U could possibly turn into the next ps3 or 360 and sell 70mil

Edit: this is assuming the Wii DOUBLES it's sales in March in NPD and doesn't fall behind Ps3 even more. This is also assuming the Wii U DOUBLES it's sales in Japan and doesn't fall more behind in March (which I can see happening)

I have provided solid sales figures. Your data is flawed since you are sourcingVGC. My data is 100% more accurate than yours... ya know... because it's straight from the companies financials.

Ps3 shipped 3.5mil at the end of March with 1 week of European numbers. Wii U has shipped 3mil at the end of December and has reached lower sales than the Ps3 did.

Only spin here is you by talking about initial sales when we have so much better data since then to compare.

You sompare one quarter of shipments for WiiU with two quarters for PS and assume somethign about a second shipment for WiiU. Data is something different as stuff you make up.

And I always said, that the WiiU sold worse later on. Why do you even try to say I spin this. But topic of this thread is ... ah I forgot, you don't like reading stuff.