By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The amount of negativity in almost every MS/Xbox thread is getting ridiculous

Carl2291 said:
curl-6 said:

And just because it sells, doesn't mean it's a good game. There's so much more to sales than quality; advertising for a start.

Advertising is usually only good for launch sales, when the bulk of advertising budget is used. Word of mouth from the general consumer is far, far more important than anything else in the long run. Its essentially the best kind of advertising. I dont think you understand what Im saying though.

Positive word of mouth only comes from a good game. A rubbish game wont get that good word of mouth, and thus wont have great legs. Kinect Sports had/has great legs.

2010 - 2.2 Million
2011 - 1.6 Million (25% drop)
2012 - 1.6 Million (1% drop)

You dont maintain sales like that without good word of mouth.  Another great example for how word of mouth helps is Demon's Souls on PS3. It had essentially no advertising and sold on word of mouth alone.

Doesn't necessarily mean it had a lot of positive word of mouth. Many people would have just bought into the Kinect hype, wanted a game for it, and thought, "hey, that kinda reminds me of Wii Sports, and that thing was pretty trendy, maybe this is trendy too." 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Doesn't necessarily mean it had a lot of positive word of mouth. Many people would have just bought into the Kinect hype, wanted a game for it, and thought, "hey, that kinda reminds me of Wii Sports, and that thing was pretty trendy, maybe this is trendy too." 

Customer reviews on Amazon suggest that the game had positive word of mouth.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sports-Xbox-360/product-reviews/B002I0JBVY

Obviously not the most credible of sources, but 500 reviews and holding a 4.5/5 average cant be too bad. Holds a 5/5 average on Play.com too.

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/15570087/Kinect-Sports/Product.html#CustomerReviews

Vg needs to add a section where fanboys can lash out at eachother. Can lessen thread trolling and fanboys will get a place to troll or bash eachother w/out getting banned.

NYCrysis said:
Vg needs to add a section where fanboys can lash out at eachother. Can lessen thread trolling and fanboys will get a place to troll or bash eachother w/out getting banned.

A good idea that would work if this wasn't the internet but that would make it worse. The argument would spill out into other threads and probably make matters worse.

curl-6 said:
Carl2291 said:
And Im sick and tired of people saying Rare havent done anything worthwhile.

Rare have been key in the Kinect push. Rare have been key in the entire Xbox push towards a more casual consumer. Actually, Rare's involvement with Kinect and Avatars is probably the biggest and best thing the team has done since they started out.

Stop clinging on to the past. Look at whats happening now. Kinect Sports sold over 5.5 Million units. A shit game doesnt sell 5.5 Million units. Its Rare's most successful game ever. It sold more than Donkey Kong 64. It sold more than Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie combined. They created Viva Pinata which is a successful IP and guess what? Theyre currently making a bunch more new games for next gen AND Kinect.

Stop holding onto your past memories. Rare moved on for the better, you should too.

Shit games sell 5 million plus units all the time.

Kinect Sports is mediocre, just like Viva Pinata, just like Nuts 'n' Bolts, just like Starfox Adventures. (Yep, that's right, I'm not a Nintendo owner still upset they left, they were already a shadow of their former self before they left) Based on their last decade of work, I don't have faith that their next gen efforts will be any better.

Rare were once widely considered one of the best developers in the planet, now they're not even considered above average.

Really? Please list these "shit" games that sell 5,000,000+ "all the time". Should be a wildly entertaining list.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
curl-6 said:
Carl2291 said:

Rare have been key in the Kinect push. Rare have been key in the entire Xbox push towards a more casual consumer. Actually, Rare's involvement with Kinect and Avatars is probably the biggest and best thing the team has done since they started out.

Stop clinging on to the past. Look at whats happening now. Kinect Sports sold over 5.5 Million units. A shit game doesnt sell 5.5 Million units. Its Rare's most successful game ever. It sold more than Donkey Kong 64. It sold more than Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie combined. They created Viva Pinata which is a successful IP and guess what? Theyre currently making a bunch more new games for next gen AND Kinect.

Stop holding onto your past memories. Rare moved on for the better, you should too.

Kinect Sports is mediocre, just like Viva Pinata, just like Nuts 'n' Bolts, just like Starfox Adventures. (Yep, that's right, I'm not a Nintendo owner still upset they left, they were already a shadow of their former self before they left) Based on their last decade of work, I don't have faith that their next gen efforts will be any better.

Rare were once widely considered one of the best developers in the planet, now they're not even considered above average.

Really? Please list these "shit" games that sell 5,000,000+ "all the time". Should be a wildly entertaining list.

By shit games, what he really means is "games that I don't like".

Could be any games, really.

Dang Microsoft, making a product a lot of people buy and enjoy, and making a lot of money doing so, nobody wants to have that kind of success!

Hynad said:
J_Allard said:
curl-6 said:
Carl2291 said:

Game quality is subjective, so naturally a game that someone doesn't like is "shit" to them. That's the definition of a "shit" game.

Oh and a few shit 5 million + sellers: COD MW2/BO/MW3, FIFA 13, Wii Play.

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
J_Allard said:
curl-6 said:
Carl2291 said:

Game quality is subjective, so naturally a game that someone doesn't like is "shit" to them. That's the definition of a "shit" game.

So, you admit that your statement is basically groundless. 

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
J_Allard said:
curl-6 said:
Carl2291 said:

So, you admit that your statement is basically groundless. 

Nothing groundless about it; somebody asked why modern Rare recieved "hate," and I responded since my opinion is line with the majority of people who "hate" modern Rare, hence it answers his question.