By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why I Love PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale More Than Super Smash Bros.

sales2099 said:
This thread was made 4 months too late. The verdict, and sales, are in.

Just because a game sells more doesn't mean its more fun or a better game. In this case Smash is a better all around game but All-Stars is more fun to me. Just like how I think Persona 3 and 4 are the best jrpg games ever made but "sales" would say Pokemon or Final Fantasy are, not to say either are bad but its just the way I feel.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
o_O.Q said:
JWeinCom said:
Smash's battle system is so much more coherent, fleshed out, flexible, and deep that it's kind of silly to compare them. But hey, if people legitimately like it more, than good for them. There's also people in this world who like the Spice Girls better than the Beatles. No accounting for taste.

if you prefer smash's system then fine but characters in all stars have larger movesets and actual combos so i don't see where you're going with flexibilty and depth honestly

Movesets are mostly equivalent between both games, the ring out mechanic adds a lot to Brawl like edge guarding, direction influence, momentum cancelling, recovery, spikes. Then there's other mechanics like stale move negation that are designed so fighters don't spam the same move all the time.

each character in all stars has to my knowledge edit : 4 additional moves ( because of the additional action button ) then there's the fact that moves tie into each other for combos i've played all the smashes ( although i admit i haven't played one recently ) and imo combat in allstars feels more varied

BlowoverKing said:
sales2099 said:

Just because a game sells more doesn't mean its more fun or a better game. In this case Smash is a better all around game but All-Stars is more fun to me. Just like how I think Persona 3 and 4 are the best jrpg games ever made but "sales" would say Pokemon or Final Fantasy are, not to say either are bad but its just the way I feel.

Which is why i did the double punch of reviews + sales. Smash is better in both. Not saying your tastes in games are weird, just they don't fall in with what most gamers believe.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

o_O.Q said:
JWeinCom said:
Smash's battle system is so much more coherent, fleshed out, flexible, and deep that it's kind of silly to compare them. But hey, if people legitimately like it more, than good for them. There's also people in this world who like the Spice Girls better than the Beatles. No accounting for taste.

if you prefer smash's system then fine but characters in all stars have larger movesets and actual combos so i don't see where you're going with flexibilty and depth honestly

Smash has much more freedom in mobility.  Characters can dash, have more mobility in the air, can dash attack, dash grab, dash up smash, have usable jump ins (some characters in PSASBR have these, others do not), can spot dodge, attack upon waking up, grab ledges, etc.  You have a few less moves, but that is greatly outweighed by the freedom of mobility you have.  In PSASBR your approach options are limited to a handful of dash attacks (ie Big Daddy's tackles) or walking up to your opponent and trying to smack them (for the most past, other characters have other options).   There are far more ways to approach your opponent in Smash, far more variety in how you can move, etc. 

Also keep in mind that having a large number of moves doesn't necessarily mean anything unless those moves have distinct and useful functions.  For example in Smash, ZSS has Ftilt and Dtilt, but Ftilt is rendered almost entirely obsolete because Dtilt serves the same function and is better.  In PSASBR I found little use for any of Raiden's heavy attacks, because a light attacks are faster and lead to just as much damage off a combo.  All in all, PSASBR I believe has about 4-5 more moves per character, but I found more moves to be redundant.  I have to admit though, that might be because I'm more familar with Smash than PSASBR.

As for actual combos, that's neither here nor there.  Some people like long combos, and some don't, but combos don't in any way equal depth.  Naruto Shippuuden CONR for instance is a great but rather shallow fighting games despite the fact that it has long dial a combos.  In most cases, combos are not strategy.  They're muscle memory.

Also, the usefulness of combos becomes much less in 4 player battle. 

I aprove of this thread. I dont particularly agree with it, but i like it when people love the games they play and give their own opinions without stating them as facts. I hate the commercial review system, i find that informative average gamer impressions are far more truthful than any commercial review.
I want to know if a game is fun and how is it fun in a review. I couldnt care less wether it adheres to their notion of gaming conventions or comes from a developer that pleases the reviewer.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Movesets are mostly equivalent between both games, the ring out mechanic adds a lot to Brawl like edge guarding, direction influence, momentum cancelling, recovery, spikes. Then there's other mechanics like stale move negation that are designed so fighters don't spam the same move all the time.

each character in all stars has to my knowledge edit : 4 additional moves ( because of the additional action button ) then there's the fact that moves tie into each other for combos i've played all the smashes ( although i admit i haven't played one recently ) and imo combat in allstars feels more varied

All Stars has Square, Triangle and Circle moves. Smash has Tilts, Smashes, Special moves. While Brawl doesn't have enough hit stun for combos like those you mention in All Stars, that doesn't mean you can't chain attacks to rack up a good 30 - 40% on someone. You just have to work for every hit you land.

I love both games but Brawl has more depth no doubt about it.

Signature goes here!

sales2099 said:
BlowoverKing said:
sales2099 said:

Which is why i did the double punch of reviews + sales. Smash is better in both. Not saying your tastes in games are weird, just they don't fall in with what most gamers believe.

oh trust me I know i'm in the minority lol

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Cool story, bro.

TruckOSaurus said:
o_O.Q said:
TruckOSaurus said:

All Stars has Square, Triangle and Circle moves. Smash has Tilts, Smashes, Special moves. While Brawl doesn't have enough hit stun for combos like those you mention in All Stars, that doesn't mean you can't chain attacks to rack up a good 30 - 40% on someone. You just have to work for every hit you land.

I love both games but Brawl has more depth no doubt about it.

The thing is that in PSASBR, you can use circles and triangles in the air.  So that's 8 extra moves.  In Smash, there are no air smashes, and midair specials are typically the same as normal specials, except for a few cases like Kirby's Hammer. PSASBR on the other hand does not have dash attacks, wake up attaks, ang ledge attacks.  In any event counting moves is not a way to determine depth.

Smash doesn't have combos, and relies more on smart pressure, juggling, stage control, off stage play, edge guarding and so on.  PSASBR (in 1v1 at least) is more like MvC3, where your opjective is to poke until you land a hit and use your favorite dial a combo.  Of course, the fact that you can't kill people with anything but a super places an incredible emphasis on your ability to land one of three attacks.  Characters like Raiden can combo into a super off of like, anything, and characters like Sir Daniel and Toro are rendered almost useless due to bad supers.

PSASBR has some potential, but it can't compete with a franchise that has been around for about 10 years by when Brawl came out.

sales2099 said:
BlowoverKing said:
sales2099 said:

Totes. It's not like anyone would argue that Final Fantasy XIII is not the best Rpg/Jrpg of the generation.

Edit: If you disagree it's just your tastes not falling in with what most gamers believe.