By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the Wii U sells about as much as the N64 will you be happy with those sales?

Immortal said:
As long as it still outsells the PS4/720, which looks probable, sure.

Lol? at this rate itd be lucky to outsell the vita!

Around the Network
AnthonyW86 said:

You're logic doesn't make any sense. The PSV and 3DS are handhelds, different market and shouldn't be compared. Besides the handheld market is shifting towards smartphones and tablets in the west.

The Wii-U is selling like the Wii would have sold without all the casuals buying it because of the motion controls, and only fans of Nintendo's franchises are jumping in at this point. Everyone else is waiting for the PS4 and the Next Xbox.

The PS4 will likely sell better than the PS3 did because it will launch at a lower price.

I don't think you can really pretend that the two markets are completely disconnected. You realize they're all video game platforms, right?

Anyway, your interpretation seems to be just twisting the facts to try to fit it into the "worthless casuals" stereotype. The people who bought the PSP are really not the kind to be driven away by smartphones. The fact that they're gone in equal numbers to Nintendo's casuals demonstrates that there's really a much bigger problem afoot here.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
AnthonyW86 said:

You're logic doesn't make any sense. The PSV and 3DS are handhelds, different market and shouldn't be compared. Besides the handheld market is shifting towards smartphones and tablets in the west.

The Wii-U is selling like the Wii would have sold without all the casuals buying it because of the motion controls, and only fans of Nintendo's franchises are jumping in at this point. Everyone else is waiting for the PS4 and the Next Xbox.

The PS4 will likely sell better than the PS3 did because it will launch at a lower price.

I don't think you can really pretend that the two markets are completely disconnected. You realize they're all video game platforms, right?

Anyway, your interpretation seems to be just twisting the facts to try to fit it into the "worthless casuals" stereotype. The people who bought the PSP are really not the kind to be driven away by smartphones. The fact that they're gone in equal numbers to Nintendo's casuals demonstrates that there's really a much bigger problem afoot here.

Then explain to me how PS3 and 360 are outselling Wii-U 4:1 and 3:1 while being about 7 years old and with new systems likely releasing this fall. The Wii-U is the problem, not the industry.

Also i expect the sales of the 3ds or the Vita to rocket into space once one of them is hacked and can play copied games.

I'd be happy if it just lasts 5 years.

think-man said:
Immortal said:

Lol? at this rate itd be lucky to outsell the vita!

Hasn't it outsold the Vita worldwide every week it's been on the market?

*checks homepage* ....nope

Around the Network
Immortal said:
Mummelmann said:
Immortal said:

How on earth does that look probable? How few consoles total do you actually expect to be sold in the 8th gen? 100 million? Even less?

OT: Personally, I don't care how much or little any of the consoles sell but I don't think that Nintendo themselves would or should be happy with sales like that, especially since they're not profitable on the hardware from launch, a smaller installed base also means severely diminshed income from software and licensing and royalties. If the Wii U ends up selling only 30-35% of the Wii, that would be a really long fall, even bigger than the PS3 - PS2, where it will likely end up around 60% or so.

Possibly. Honestly, you don't see three successive platform launches with disastrous sales (and only one of them escaping this to achieve a tolerable level) unless there's something really, really wrong with the industry.

Maybe it's smartphones, maybe it's the economy finally catching up with the industry or maybe it's something else. Either way, there is clearly external pressure that is forcing the industry to contract. To put it another way, if PSV and Wii U failed, I can't see why PS4 or 720 will manage to outdo them.

The PS4, in particular, seems completely identical to PSV in almost every way. High specs, high-ish price, "developers love it" and all the rest. If the PSV didn't manage to beat 3DS with all that, PS4 won't manage to beat Wii U. And since we know nothing about 720 yet, I'm comfortable in predicting that Wii U will sell the most.

if this gen taught us anything, it's that, it's impossible for a sony console to flop

I'm only happy if it leads it's generation.

I LOVE ICELAND!

I just realized I was looking at Wii instead of Wii U numbers on the homepage. Woops.

TheBardsSong said:
I just realized I was looking at Wii instead of Wii U numbers on the homepage. Woops.

Thought so lol just didnt say anything, they are so close in sales you can bearly tell them apart XD

Immortal said:
AnthonyW86 said:

If the two markets are not disconnected they are surely independent of each other.  

Nintendo has always done well in the handheld market even when their consoles flopped. Gameboy success didn't help Gamecube anymore than the Vita flopping is hindering the PS3. X360 doesn't even have a tiny little brother and it has no relevance to it's sales.

Looking at the current sales the handheld market seems to be dying, more so in the west where it is heading to irrelevancy.

You have also tried to translate what is happening to the Vita to the PS4 in another post and that in itself is a flawed theory.

OT: Based on current sales I would be happy if the wii u sold half as much as the N64 but we are getting way ahead of ourselves.

The only possible time to realistically judge wii u sales is well into the next gen. There is absolutely no gaurantee that PS4 and x720 (or whatever) is going to set the world alight anymore than the wii u did.