Which of these is the better mix?

Excellent gameplay and bad story. (e.g. NSMB) 147 69.67%

Excellent story+ and bad ... 64 30.33%

Total:211

It depends on the game.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
pastro243 said:
Ive learned to enjoy both types. I recently played "To the moon" and while you could say the gameplay wasnt any good it kept me interested for the story part.

On the other hand, I can enjoy games that are "pure gameplay".

You just need what seems apropiate for each type of game or what the game creators want to express.

games that are "pure gameplay" are just games that have a shit of a story and developers/fans want to hide that fact, so they act like its not important

The same can be said about games dependant on story.

games that are "story driven" are just games that have shit gameplay and developers/fans want to hide that fact, so they act like its not important. See not that hard.

The difference being you don't need to have a story to make a game.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

dsgrue3 said:
I'm content either way.

If the story is excellent I care less about the gameplay. If the gameplay is excellent I care less about story.

When both are excellent, then you have something truly extraordinary.

Totally agree!

happydolphin said:
:) To me it's the world. Interesting aye!

Same!

I've loved games with mediocre gameplay purely because of the world.

Wright said:
Jay520 said:
Wright said:

Thing is, there are games with poor gameplay but awesome story that couldn't actually be movies or books. So no, games with little gameplay are still games.

I didn't say poor gameplay, I said no gameplay.

Is there really a "game" without actually gameplay?

And this is why gameplay will always have more value than story. You can still have a game with a completely non existent story but a game cannot exist without gameplay.

Around the Network

life vs book

gameplay of course

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

I would prefer a bad story, if it has bad gameplay then I won't be an owner of the game for long.

cyberninja45 said:

And this is why gameplay will always have more value than story. You can still have a game with a completely non existent story but a game cannot exist without gameplay.

True that gameplay is fundamental to constitute a game, but in terms of the value on bring in contrast with the other, I believe story+worlds trumps. That's why the poll options are interesting, because in no case is there "absolutely no" gameplay, since that wouldn't make a game.

I'll take Gameplay over Story. But if the story is bad it will leave a bad taste in my mouth.

In some instances tho a game doesn't need some deep story to motivate you.

*Looks at platformer Mario games*

Expecting grand stories from such a game is kinda much.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

happydolphin said:
cyberninja45 said:

True that gameplay is fundamental to constitute a game, but in terms of the value on bring in contrast with the other, I believe story+worlds trumps. That's why the poll options are interesting, because in no case is there "absolutely no" gameplay, since that wouldn't make a game.

What would you consider a bad story or a good story in a game? To me a story is only needed as a basic narrative as to why the player must proceed through a level or journey through a game, once that is established it is all I need to go forward in a game. That being said  take your exampe with NSMB to me the game gives you that narrative to proceed through the levels so they have succeded in giving you a basic premise to go forward storywise. If on the other  hand halfway through the 1st level you happened to encounter Bowser and get peach back then yes it would seem pointless to go onwards through the other levels.