By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gameplay vs Story+

Which of these is the better mix?

Excellent gameplay and bad story. (e.g. NSMB) 147 69.67%

Excellent story+ and bad ... 64 30.33%

Total:211
happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

There's plenty of games that achieve greatness with basic story: Super Mario 64, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. 3, Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man 2, Battletoads, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Castlevania IV, New Super Mario Bros. Wii (yes it's great).

There's genre that really don't need stories like fighters or racers but nevertheless produce awesome games like Mario Kart Wii or Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Rock Band.

Wait, SMB 3 was a very new world created from basically nothing. The megaman games, though limited in their ability to story-tell, had a great vibrance and music to bring it alive, as well as excellent visual art. Star Fox 64 has awesome music and visuals to bring the world alive, and I won't even begin to remind you how breathtaking DKC was when it was first released.

Again, what I mean by story in this thread (because I couldn't use commas or slashes in the title), I mean story+. I mean story, worlds, music, visuals, anything that basically is not gameplay.

Some in there I can agree with, to a degree, though. So I'll lean a bit on your end of the question then.

I think the best word for that is "presentation," i.e., story, art direction, music, even things like title screen and instruction manual -- anything that draws the player into the game.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I think the best word for that is "presentation," i.e., story, art direction, music, even things like title screen and instruction manual -- anything that draws the player into the game.

I'd use the word if I didn't dislike it, believe me. Problem I find with that word is that it has a connotation of superficiality, which is incorrect in my understanding of a great story, world, music, art direction. These are all things that draw me into a game quite deeply.

Amazing gameplay should be the priority of anything that calls itself a video game.