By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which of these is the better mix?

Excellent gameplay and bad story. (e.g. NSMB) 147 69.67%

Excellent story+ and bad ... 64 30.33%

Total:211
happydolphin said:
milkyjoe said:

Game of Thrones is actually one of my favourite shows. Stop assuming things and arguing points that aren't even there.

Well then what the hell are you talking about. How does game of Thrones fit the "save the princess" description you gave earlier? It doesn't.

So if you don't want me to confuse you, start making sense.

See, you've just done it again now. Where did I say that Game of Thrones fit that stereotype even remotely?

You've completely imagined me making that argument.

VGChartz

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:

See, you've just done it again now. Where did I say that Game of Thrones fit that stereotype even remotely?

k, when someone says "You must've never blank blank", it means that your argument doesn't make sense in light of blank blank.

This is dumb.

happydolphin said:
milkyjoe said:

k, when someone says "You must've never blank blank", it means that your argument doesn't make sense in light of blank blank.

This is dumb.

And how does the existence of Game of Thrones negate a common story element shared by hundreds of other examples?

You'll note that I did not ever say that it was the one and only story element that is true for every story ever told, but you are arguing as if I have. I merely said it was the most common. That doesn't mean it can be applied to everything. Again, arguing a point that isn't there.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:

And how does the existence of Game of Thrones negate a common story element shared by hundreds of other examples?

You'll note that I did not ever say that it was the one and only story element that is true for every story ever told, but you are arguing as if I have. I merely said it was the most common. That doesn't mean it can be applied to everything. Again, arguing a point that isn't there.

If it's common then you're probably not talking about an excellent story/world. Even OoT which follows that narrative has some divergeances to that, as Link also needs to find out what his identity is (is he a Kokiri, and then more precisely what happened during those 7 years). Ultimately it ties back into saving the princess but in interim there is much more going on, and many other divergeances until the culminating moment.

Other than that, most great stories don't follow that narrative. This isn't a thread about common stories, it's a thread about great stories and worlds.

happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Why do you reject milkyjoe'S point? In short, he's saying the first AC had immersive world and compelling story but the repetitive gameplay prevented it from reaching greatness. That's exactly what your thread is about, why reject his point and ask for another example?

I rejected his point because of how he presented it.

"I made the point that hundreds of games share the same basic story elements."

In that sentence, I saw NSMB versus AC, rather than AC1 vs AC2. It was only in his later post that I understood what that original sentence and the post containing it fully meant.

That's why they're video games and not movies, and I understand now that his posts are trying to say that good gameplay can bring a good story and world to life, but going back to your question I originally had difficulty accepting his point because of his basic premise "I made the point that hundreds of games share the same basic story elements." That's something I didn't agree with and threw me off.

But to get back on where we agree, certainly great gameplay can take an excellent story and vibrant world, and enhance it to gaming greatness. Yes, I agree with both of you there, hence why gameplay and story are so tightly knit.

However, I believe the ultimate goal is greatness. So a game that isn't repetitive but has basic gameplay yet an amazing story/world (maybe Journey, I never played it) can offer the player an experience like never before.

But a game with purely excellent gameplay but a basic story/world, would that be able to achieve greatness? I would seriously doubt it.

There's plenty of games that achieve greatness with basic story: Super Mario 64, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. 3, Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man 2, Battletoads, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Castlevania IV, New Super Mario Bros. Wii (yes it's great).

There's genre that really don't need stories like fighters or racers but nevertheless produce awesome games like Mario Kart Wii or Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Rock Band.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
milkyjoe said:

If it's common then you're probably not talking about an excellent story/world. Even OoT which follows that narrative has some divergeances to that, as Link also needs to find out what his identity is (is he a Kokiri, and then more precisely what happened during those 7 years). Ultimately it ties back into saving the princess but in interim there is much more going on, and many other divergeances until the culminating moment.

Other than that, most great stories don't follow that narrative. This isn't a thread about common stories, it's a thread about great stories and worlds.

No it's a thread about story vs gameplay. Don't lose sight of that just because you're on the side of story.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

There's plenty of games that achieve greatness with basic story: Super Mario 64, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. 3, Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man 2, Battletoads, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Castlevania IV, New Super Mario Bros. Wii (yes it's great).

There's genre that really don't need stories like fighters or racers but nevertheless produce awesome games like Mario Kart Wii or Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Rock Band.

Wait, SMB 3 was a very new world created from basically nothing. The megaman games, though limited in their ability to story-tell, had a great vibrance and music to bring it alive, as well as excellent visual art. Star Fox 64 has awesome music and visuals to bring the world alive, and I won't even begin to remind you how breathtaking DKC was when it was first released.

Again, what I mean by story in this thread (because I couldn't use commas or slashes in the title), I mean story+. I mean story, worlds, music, visuals, anything that basically is not gameplay.

Some in there I can agree with, to a degree, though. So I'll lean a bit on your end of the question then.

TruckOSaurus said:

No it's a thread about story vs gameplay. Don't lose sight of that just because you're on the side of story.

If he's going to use examples with uninspired stories to show how they don't bring value, then he missed the point.

happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

If he's going to use examples with uninspired stories to show how they don't bring value, then he missed the point.

I'm growing tired of you continually arguing against points that I didn't even make, so I'm going to ask you to simply consider the following and take my leave for now.

Basically, I'd ask you to realise that something complex with multiple diverse elements can still share something in common with a more simplistic approach. That isn't to say they are identical, nor am I demanding that you hold them in the same regard, just that they have some base similarities.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:

I'm growing tired of you continually arguing against points that I didn't even make, so I'm going to ask you to simply consider the following and take my leave for now.

Basically, I'd ask you to realise that something complex with multiple diverse elements can still share something in common with a more simplistic approach. That isn't to say they are identical, nor am I demanding that you hold them in the same regard, just that they have some base similarities.

I'm sorry I'm coming across as obtuse, and I don't want to and if I've made a mistake I'll work on fixing it.

I trust you know where you're going with this, so what do those similarities show? To me, they don't demonstrate much because most stories that follow those grand lines are not those I consider really great. The save the princess pattern was used ad nauseam and I find that most of my favorite stories don't follow that pattern.

And I seriously don't think all stories follow those lines. A similarity however, so I can meet with you in the middle, would be something like intrigue, denial, confusion, betrayal, attachment (to a place, person or thing), trust, revelation and so on and so forth. But no particular narrative.