By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which of these is the better mix?

Excellent gameplay and bad story. (e.g. NSMB) 147 69.67%

Excellent story+ and bad ... 64 30.33%

Total:211

Alright, after pondering and while i think theres many variables and its not a clear cut answer but a conglomerate of aspects that make a game worth playing, i would have to say story.

Gameplay by itself getsme playing a game for fun, and while it is fun it wears out fairly fast. For example a 2D fighter. It has great gameplay and i love it, but i eventually get tired of it. What drives me to play these games longer? The story. the story drives the gameplay forward and extends its momentum.
Yes gameplay gives the game more replayability than story does, but without that first push, i find it difficult to play the game for anything longer than short bursts.

With that said, given the Poll gives the option of good story with bad gameplay, it doesnt sound like something i would play, and something with good gameplay and no story would be something i would play for a short time. Between those options the gameplay one would make more sense, though if the story was truly amazing i could probably live with the bad gameplay. It woudl all depend on how bad it actually would be.

So err... im still not answering the poll, but thats my opinion.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
dahuman said:

They are mostly just bad in the overall but I still got a kick out of them for the most part, I liked the Tales and Star Ocean combat for the most part. Eternal Sonata was refreshing since I wasn't saving the fucking universe this time around. Xenoblade was an excellent game despite of the funny graphics. The Last Story had a really interesting combat system that I want to see more of from Mistwalker etc..... and I actually have 2 copies of FF13 even though I hated a lot about the game (one NA and one International since I wanted JP Audio and Vanile sounded a lot better in JP so that made it better if nothing else lol.)

And despite the nice gameplay in the Last Story, you'll forget about it because the story was so-so, amiright? :P

The story was not so bad. My only problems with it was the fucking narrator that did not create any sense of suspense, and some predictable turns in the story. It's not the best in the genre, but hey.

Depends on the genre. For example, I don't need a compelling story in racing games or sports games.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

happydolphin said:
dahuman said:

They are mostly just bad in the overall but I still got a kick out of them for the most part, I liked the Tales and Star Ocean combat for the most part. Eternal Sonata was refreshing since I wasn't saving the fucking universe this time around. Xenoblade was an excellent game despite of the funny graphics. The Last Story had a really interesting combat system that I want to see more of from Mistwalker etc..... and I actually have 2 copies of FF13 even though I hated a lot about the game (one NA and one International since I wanted JP Audio and Vanile sounded a lot better in JP so that made it better if nothing else lol.)

And despite the nice gameplay in the Last Story, you'll forget about it because the story was so-so, amiright? :P

I got a good kick out of it, it's like an 8-8.5/10 for me but I don't rate it in the same league as Xenoblade that had gameplay+story done pretty well. I like what they did with the after main story thing in The Last Story, it was kinda heart warming, but I was mainly addicted to the combat. I arena'ed that shit to no end, did a lot of upgrades and changed armor and their colors etc(really should be in all future JRPGs IMO, too few JRPGs do that!)

BaldrSkies said:
dahuman said:

sorry I misworded, I meant to say "most" not "rest" lol. I could also list the shit ones which the number would tower over the good ones, I don't think they are "all" bad. I'd know since I've played pretty much everything in gen 7 on the JRPG front lol, the majority really are shit or not very interesting.

and I just don't know if this cane be qualified as a video game, yes, it's on a gaming system, but we also have a DS cart that makes it so you can play back movies so:

Oh yeah, I agree that there's plenty of bad RPGs, but there are more bad games than good games in any gen...

As for your example game, if it truly is interactive besides flipping pages then yes it is a game. The "visual novel" genre is referring to the Japanese game genre though, which do nearly always run along the characteristics I mentioned previously. I think a lot of people have a misguided view of the genre as simply reading text with nothing else going on, when really there is a lot of decision making and complex scenario trees based on those decisions. Some visual novels even contain elements from other genres, such as RPG, action, and strategy.

I'm just going to say that I am not a big fan of the FATE series that was massively popular and still is or really any dating sims in general. I do consider Ace Attorney stuff games though, so I might be a hyporcrite.

Around the Network

It varies far too much between games for me to feel one aspect is absolutely more important than the other. But I voted for the less popular opinion to be contrarian.

Sal.Paradise said:
It varies far too much between games for me to feel one aspect is absolutely more important than the other. But I voted for the less popular opinion to be contrarian.

Ma man. :P

Gameplay any day. If I want a story I'll read a book. A bit of a story is fine but that should never be the focal point.

If I have to choose I'd take gameplay without a doubt. Tetris has absolutely zero story but I do enjoy Tetris quite a lot. I'd probably not go within five miles of a game with the opposite amount of gameplay.

Gameplay is the core of a game. it's the unique selling point, what makes it different from books, music, films etc.
I do love a good story in video games but the gameplay greatly affects how that story is told. You can have an awsome story but if you tell it in a bad way it just falls flat. Gameplay also greatly affects the game world as it sets the rules for the universe, it decides how you move and interact with the world, what you can and can't do. It also greatly affects the player's connection with the playable character(s).
In short, gameplay is what ties it all together.

Now, I'm not saying that story should be eliminated, that it has no place in video games or anything like that. I do however think that gameplay should be the #1 focus no matter what kind of game you make. But that's just me.

forest-spirit said:

If I have to choose I'd take gameplay without a doubt. Tetris has absolutely zero story but I do enjoy Tetris quite a lot. I'd probably not go within five miles of a game with the opposite amount of gameplay.

Gameplay is the core of a game. it's the unique selling point, what makes it different from books, music, films etc.
I do love a good story in video games but the gameplay greatly affects how that story is told. You can have an awsome story but if you tell it in a bad way it just falls flat. Gameplay also greatly affects the game world as it sets the rules for the universe, it decides how you move and interact with the world, what you can and can't do. It also greatly affects the player's connection with the playable character(s).
In short, gameplay is what ties it all together.

Now, I'm not saying that story should be eliminated, that it has no place in video games or anything like that. I do however think that gameplay should be the #1 focus no matter what kind of game you make. But that's just me.

Then again there's no tying in together if the world is unintersting and the story is lame, you're tying into something you don't want. So it's a bit of a marriage of the two in terms of tying into what. In the converse, the story and world also ties the gameplay together by giving it a meaning within the exploration of that new world. So the same thing could be said in the other direction. Paradoxical, I know.