By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which of these is the better mix?

Excellent gameplay and bad story. (e.g. NSMB) 147 69.67%

Excellent story+ and bad ... 64 30.33%

Total:211
Player2 said:

When I was a kid I could choose to go to the arcades or the cinema. Guess where I went to waste my money.

*looks at your avatar*

the strip club?

Around the Network

gameplay.. whoever says otherwise belongs into a mental institution :*D

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

dahuman said:
BaldrSkies said:
There's a reason why JRPGs and visual novels are big genres.

Story.

It's more about game depth when it comes to JRPGs on game play other than the obvious importance on story (both are why most gen 7 JRPGs are disappointing, I pray to whatever higher power is there to make gen 8 the mostly good shit JRPG gen again), it's where the new Fire Emblem stands above the rest in current gen SRPGs so far.

Visual Novels are not games, they are interactive story books.

I'm going to blame the first one on poor localization, because if you think Fire Emblem Awakening stands above every RPG this gen you are sadly deprived of a proper RPG experience. I doubt anyone who's played the latest Tales games or Legend of Heroes games, or Valkyria Chronicles or Xeno games would agree. I'm not sure what you define as a "good shit JRPG" but it's totally subjective.

As for visual novel genre, you've contradicted your statement that they are not games with one word "interactive". Interactivity is what defines a game. What differentiates game genres is how the user interacts with the game. In the case of visual novels this involves decision making in dialogue and character action, as well as such systems as stat building, point gathering, and resouce management, things that are used in other game genres. Besides the interactivity options, visual novels share characteristics from most other game genres as well, such as visualization, music, dialogue/speech, animation, and storytelling. To dismiss the genre as "not a game" is objectively incorrect.

I would take excellent story and poor game play over the other. To me, this describes jrpgs perfectly. A slow turn based system that's well outdated from the new days to a new Cod like game now. Though I did enjoy the blops 2 campaign.

It just depends on the game and player.

BaldrSkies said:
dahuman said:
BaldrSkies said:
There's a reason why JRPGs and visual novels are big genres.

Story.

It's more about game depth when it comes to JRPGs on game play other than the obvious importance on story (both are why most gen 7 JRPGs are disappointing, I pray to whatever higher power is there to make gen 8 the mostly good shit JRPG gen again), it's where the new Fire Emblem stands above the rest in current gen SRPGs so far.

Visual Novels are not games, they are interactive story books.

I'm going to blame the first one on poor localization, because if you think Fire Emblem Awakening stands above every RPG this gen you are sadly deprived of a proper RPG experience. I doubt anyone who's played the latest Tales games or Legend of Heroes games, or Valkyria Chronicles or Xeno games would agree. I'm not sure what you define as a "good shit JRPG" but it's totally subjective.

As for visual novel genre, you've contradicted your statement that they are not games with one word "interactive". Interacvitivy is what defines a game. What differentiates game genres is how the user interacts with the game. In the case of visual novels this involves decision making in dialogue and character action, as well as such systems as stat building, point gathering, and resouce management, things that are used in other game genres. Besides the interactivity options, visual novels share characteristics from most other game genres as well, such as visualization, music, dialogue/speech, animation, and storytelling. To dismiss the genre as "not a game" is objectively incorrect.

sorry I misworded, I meant to say "most" not "rest" lol. I could also list the shit ones which the number would tower over the good ones, I don't think they are "all" bad. I'd know since I've played pretty much everything in gen 7 on the JRPG front lol, the majority really are shit or not very interesting.

and I just don't know if this cane be qualified as a video game, yes, it's on a gaming system, but we also have a DS cart that makes it so you can play back movies so:

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
RolStoppable said:
Why isn't Heavy Rain mentioned in the other poll option?

It said "excellent story" you fool!

Excellent? Seriously? It is moment driven game, and really memorable for this but the story doesn´t make any sense.

I think as long as the game is playable the story is still very important. Just take Saints Row the third for instance. The Gameplay is all right, nothing special. But the story is so over the top funny and this why people play this game.

dahuman said:

sorry I misworded, I meant to say "most" not "rest" lol. I could also list the shit ones which the number would tower over the good ones, I don't think they are "all" bad. I'd know since I've played pretty much everything in gen 7 on the JRPG front lol, the majority really are shit or not very interesting.

and I just don't know if this cane be qualified as a video game, yes, it's on a gaming system, but we also have a DS cart that makes it so you can play back movies so:

Oh yeah, I agree that there's plenty of bad RPGs, but there are more bad games than good games in any gen...

As for your example game, if it truly is interactive besides flipping pages then yes it is a game. The "visual novel" genre is referring to the Japanese game genre though, which do nearly always run along the characteristics I mentioned previously. I think a lot of people have a misguided view of the genre as simply reading text with nothing else going on, when really there is a lot of decision making and complex scenario trees based on those decisions. Some visual novels even contain elements from other genres, such as RPG, action, and strategy.

Gameplay, need I say more...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
dahuman said:

They are mostly just bad in the overall but I still got a kick out of them for the most part, I liked the Tales and Star Ocean combat for the most part. Eternal Sonata was refreshing since I wasn't saving the fucking universe this time around. Xenoblade was an excellent game despite of the funny graphics. The Last Story had a really interesting combat system that I want to see more of from Mistwalker etc..... and I actually have 2 copies of FF13 even though I hated a lot about the game (one NA and one International since I wanted JP Audio and Vanile sounded a lot better in JP so that made it better if nothing else lol.)

And despite the nice gameplay in the Last Story, you'll forget about it because the story was so-so, amiright? :P