By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo blocks 3rd party games...

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
I think there's no need for Nintendo to block 3rd party games.

Because there are no third party games coming anyway.

Or first-party, apparently...

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

not watched the Nintendo Directs for either the 3DS or WiiU then? should check them out, good stuff.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

not watched the Nintendo Directs for either the 3DS or WiiU then? should check them out, good stuff.

It was, mostly, a joke.

3rd party support would come in handy during those 12 month long game droughts which have been happening since the snes days (I don't think I've purchased a 3ds game since 3d marioland and mariokart were released for example)...
doesn't bother me though,I just buy more games for other consoles (yeah I'm sure nintendo want that to happen!)

Industry saving strategy. For the win.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

why stop at third party? nintendo should just block all games from their systems.

Regardless if Nintendo or not, 99.69% of Nintendo audience, and grannies, and soccer moms already do do that.

...since N64 era.

And in a serious response, it is time for Nintendo to push small/indie developers as their main third party support.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

What Nintendo should do is have a special offering to third parties when they put high-quality titles on the system rather than shovelware. Less stick, more carrot.

We all know that console makers get a cut of third-party game sales. Nintendo should offer a significant discount regarding their cut if a third-party game passes their QA testing. They could offer a further discount if it's also an exclusive - but with a legal document stating that it must remain an exclusive for a period of, say, 2 years, otherwise the third party is liable for the regular fee on all copies sold, not just those after it stops being exclusive.

In addition to getting the discounted fee, such games (QA-tested, not necessarily exclusive) could also get a Nintendo Seal of Quality attached - other titles would not get such a title, but would still be allowed to release.

According to this image - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a8b7438c970b-600wi - platform royalties come to $7 out of $60. Publishers get about $27. If platform royalties were dropped to $4 for games that pass Nintendo's QA, that would increase publisher revenue by more than 10%. Such games would be expected to sell in the order of millions, so you're talking about of the order of $3 million at minimum going to the publisher that would otherwise have gone to Nintendo. For an exclusive that passes QA, it might drop to just $2.

Just Dance is constantly in the charts so it doesn't seem like a good idea.