By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Anyone wants to see a retro game forum on VGChartz?

Do you want to see a retro games forum on VGChartz?

Yes 30 75.00%

No 10 25.00%

Total:40
kain_kusanagi said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I tend to agree with amp on this one. I feel very strongly that we should pay more attention to older games -- especially because gaming is now in a decadent period -- but I worry that a new forum might be overkill.

I would suggest an official "retro" thread to scratch the itch.

In any event, thanks to richardhutnik for pushing this topic forward.

I don't think a new forum would be overkill. We could probably do without the politics one. It causes more trouble than it's worth.

The thing about retro gaming is that there is just as much to talk about as todays games. Re-releases and remakes are happening all the time. There's console fixing issues, old system mods, favorite games, lost gems, rediscovered classics, etc. There's just so much to talk about retro gaming that it really needs it's own forum. It would also help build the community up because those that want to talk about retro topics wouldn't have to go elsewhere to do so.

All good points. But the lack of a retro forum isn't keeping anyone from posting threads about retro games.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I tend to agree with amp on this one. I feel very strongly that we should pay more attention to older games -- especially because gaming is now in a decadent period -- but I worry that a new forum might be overkill.

I don't think a new forum would be overkill. We could probably do without the politics one. It causes more trouble than it's worth.

The thing about retro gaming is that there is just as much to talk about as todays games. Re-releases and remakes are happening all the time. There's console fixing issues, old system mods, favorite games, lost gems, rediscovered classics, etc. There's just so much to talk about retro gaming that it really needs it's own forum. It would also help build the community up because those that want to talk about retro topics wouldn't have to go elsewhere to do so.

All good points. But the lack of a retro forum isn't keeping anyone from posting threads about retro games.

That's true. But retro threads can get lost just like any general topic. If a person is interested in Nintendo they can browse the Nintendo forum. But if someone is interested in retro gaming their only hope is the less than precise forum search tool. All I'm saying is that if it's easy for people to gather around retro games I believe it will be good for the community.

If you build it, they will come.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Conegamer said:
Well I've recently come to acquire an N64 (at last!), and I'd like to talk about it, so sure!

Congrats, man! I hope you enjoy it. What games did you get?

Just a handful of the classics (OoT, MM, Mario Party, Mario 64, Lylat Wars, Conker's Bad Fur Day). Pokemon Stadium and Goldeneye should be coming soon as well!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Yes... we need an Amiga thread to lure MikeB back... I miss that dude http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbthread.pl/amiga/expand/162125

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

kain_kusanagi said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I agree that we shouldn't have a Political DIscussion thread but that's a whole different can of worms.

I say that if people start making more threads about retro gaming that people like us that are in this thread will show up.  Sure, it won't be as popular as the latest Sony vs MS thread, but that's how things are around here.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

I plan to play some SNES rpgs soon, Lufia II and FF VI, i suppose im a retro gamer?
Im in.

Conegamer said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Conegamer said:
Well I've recently come to acquire an N64 (at last!), and I'd like to talk about it, so sure!

Just a handful of the classics (OoT, MM, Mario Party, Mario 64, Lylat Wars, Conker's Bad Fur Day). Pokemon Stadium and Goldeneye should be coming soon as well!

Since youre from the UK, i strongly recommend you OGRE BATTLE 64, if you like Rpgs of course.

DieAppleDie said:
Conegamer said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Conegamer said:

Since youre from the UK, i strongly recommend you OGRE BATTLE 64, if you like Rpgs of course.

I agree.  Man do I love Ogre Battle.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

richardhutnik said:
Jay520 said:
No. There's not enough retro-specific discussion to warrant its own sub forum.

Might it be that there isn't enough, because there is no specific forum for it, rather than there is no specific forum, because there isn't enough talk about it?

What do you suggest there be as a home for people into the likes of the TurboGrafx16 or 3DO or Atari systems?  Should those people flood the general game forum?

Same argument could be made for any obscure topic you could think of. Why does retro gaming deserve special treatment?

Using your logic, Why not give create an anime sub forum, an automobile sub forum, a home improvement sub forum, etc. Sure, you could say those topics don't get much discussion. But might it be that there isn't enough, because there is no specific forum for it, rather than there is no specific forum, because there Isnt enough talk about it?

Should retro gamers flood general gaming forum? Sure, why not? though I really doubt they'll be any "flood" with the few retro gamers on here. More likely we'll catch a "leak" of retro discussion if anything. Seriously, the fact that a topic cannot live without its own sub forum is a sign that not many want to talk about it.

Look at the poll. You've only received 18 yes votes, of which only a portion are actual members, and of an even smaller number are actual active users. I'd say st most you'd get 2-3 active users in such a sub forum.

kain_kusanagi said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

The political discussions will go strong with or without its own sub forum. The "trouble" would exist regardless, though I don't see how the political trouble is any different from the constant gaming trouble we get on here. If anything, it should have its own sub forum so people like yourself can effectively block it from appearing on their hot topics list.