By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Anyone wants to see a retro game forum on VGChartz?

Do you want to see a retro games forum on VGChartz?

Yes 30 75.00%

No 10 25.00%

Total:40

I saw all the Team X threads on here, which had Nintendo, Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Sega, etc... so, I decided to do a thread to discuss retro gaming.  I did it here:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155990

It looks like there may be enough interest and community here, that it might benefit to have a forum on here for retro gaming, to discuss retro gaming stuff on here.  Anyone think that it is a good idea?

Around the Network

Yes! A hundred times yes!

Trunkin said:

Get people on here voting yes, and contact ioi.  I am sure we can get something if enough join in.  Maybe Team Sega can pop in here at this point, and also show support.  So, get more yesses in here, and contact ioi.

and n+ is retro to me.  At least neo-retro, as in a new game done old school.

I'd like to see a thread about retro game prices. Sure it doesn't have to include every game (or every system) but some of the rare/ more expensive games. There are several sites that list rare games but usually you have to multi click through the site. So a thread that has a very good op would be a lot better.

BasilZero said:
richardhutnik said:
Trunkin said:

Get people on here voting yes, and contact ioi.  I am sure we can get something if enough join in.  Maybe Team Sega can pop in here at this point, and also show support.  So, get more yesses in here, and contact ioi.

and n+ is retro to me.  At least neo-retro, as in a new game done old school.

Wont the definition of "Retro" also align with SNES and SGEN since we are on the peak of a new gen?

I would say pretty much.  What is the definition of retro is up for the air.  The forum would be appropriate to discuss what is retro and so on also.  If you check Retro Gamer magazine, you see 16bit era covered.  Probably at this point the orignal XBox and PS2 is about to go retro also.  I would say a key part of retro here is the play style is one that has fallen out of favor, outside of maybe Indie.  The Weak Wolverine regenerative health and only two guns model of FPS is modern, but you take a look at Doom with the health packs and like 9 weapons, and that is retro style.  Also, you can get newer content done in old style to.  The art style or play mechanics could end up being retro in nature (I would call this neo-retro).

The thing about retro is that it always seems to get larger, as more content gets added.  Anyhow, I will leave others to debate and discuss.  At least the forum could be a home for console makers no longer in the business, where people who are fans can discuss them.

We are also probably looking at fighting games of all sorts, even the 3D type, going retro now, because the bloom is WAY off.  They used to be really hot, and top sellers.  Now they aren't.  

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
I'd like to see a thread about retro game prices. Sure it doesn't have to include every game (or every system) but some of the rare/ more expensive games. There are several sites that list rare games but usually you have to multi click through the site. So a thread that has a very good op would be a lot better.

Getting a forum on here would be an ideal place to stick it.  Including how to care for retro systems and so on, and also conventions.

I think it's a great idea!

I am curious why the few people who voted no to the idea, think that having a retro forum on here is a bad idea. Is it better to have the gaming forum be overrun with both modern and retro talk, or that what is retro can't be defined, so best not to do it?

I love retro games, but think that we have too many separate forums as it is. We have forums for gaming, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Website Issues, people that are sexually attracted to midgets, Movies, etc. It's just getting to be too much.

All of that being said, I would like more people to discuss retro games here.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:

I love retro games, but think that we have too many separate forums as it is. We have forums for gaming, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Website Issues, people that are sexually attracted to midgets, Movies, etc. It's just getting to be too much.

All of that being said, I would like more people to discuss retro games here.

Thing is the general gaming forum is just too broad.  Retro stuff IS videogames though, which is a different animal.  It isn't like midgets and so on.  Where is the home for the likes of Atari and other guys here, like Commodore fans?  There really isn't any.  Anyone want to flood gaming forum with stuff about it?