By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Anyone wants to see a retro game forum on VGChartz?

Do you want to see a retro games forum on VGChartz?

Yes 30 75.00%

No 10 25.00%

Total:40

I say this will be a great idea! I spent most of my time over GameSpot in the Legacy System forum where there's no stupid ass fanboys arguing but appreciating old school gaming. Here's some idea:

Your recent Retro game purchases: This will be where you post what you found at a local thrift store, Garage Sale, Flea Market or even on eBay.

What you are "re"playing: Retro games that you are currently playing. Discuss about the game visual, music and control.

Most influential games: Look at a current game and draw comparison with a retro games that you feel that inspire it.

I would like to see other topics too. We should get a few writers taking turn on a weekly topic. NO SCHOOL IS BETTER THEN OLD SCHOOL!!!

Around the Network

No. There's not enough retro-specific discussion to warrant its own sub forum.

richardhutnik said:
I am curious why the few people who voted no to the idea, think that having a retro forum on here is a bad idea. Is it better to have the gaming forum be overrun with both modern and retro talk, or that what is retro can't be defined, so best not to do it?

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

I thought you were talking about the Studio Retro

Jay520 said:
No. There's not enough retro-specific discussion to warrant its own sub forum.

Might it be that there isn't enough, because there is no specific forum for it, rather than there is no specific forum, because there isn't enough talk about it?

What do you suggest there be as a home for people into the likes of the TurboGrafx16 or 3DO or Atari systems?  Should those people flood the general game forum?

Around the Network

I tend to agree with amp on this one. I feel very strongly that we should pay more attention to older games -- especially because gaming is now in a decadent period -- but I worry that a new forum might be overkill.

I would suggest an official "retro" thread to scratch the itch.

In any event, thanks to richardhutnik for pushing this topic forward.

Well I've recently come to acquire an N64 (at last!), and I'd like to talk about it, so sure!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

bonkers555 said:
I say this will be a great idea! I spent most of my time over GameSpot in the Legacy System forum where there's no stupid ass fanboys arguing but appreciating old school gaming. Here's some idea:

Your recent Retro game purchases: This will be where you post what you found at a local thrift store, Garage Sale, Flea Market or even on eBay.

What you are "re"playing: Retro games that you are currently playing. Discuss about the game visual, music and control.

Most influential games: Look at a current game and draw comparison with a retro games that you feel that inspire it.

I would like to see other topics too. We should get a few writers taking turn on a weekly topic. NO SCHOOL IS BETTER THEN OLD SCHOOL!!!

Awesome ideas. I love them all.

Doesn't anyone listen to the Retro Gaming Roundup podcast? It comes out once a month and it's super long, but it's multi-segmented and always entertaining. They cover everything from gaming history, interviews with past and current game makers, and they just discuss various topics about old school games.

Conegamer said:
Well I've recently come to acquire an N64 (at last!), and I'd like to talk about it, so sure!

Congrats, man! I hope you enjoy it. What games did you get?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I tend to agree with amp on this one. I feel very strongly that we should pay more attention to older games -- especially because gaming is now in a decadent period -- but I worry that a new forum might be overkill.

I would suggest an official "retro" thread to scratch the itch.

In any event, thanks to richardhutnik for pushing this topic forward.

I don't think a new forum would be overkill. We could probably do without the politics one. It causes more trouble than it's worth.

The thing about retro gaming is that there is just as much to talk about as todays games. Re-releases and remakes are happening all the time. There's console fixing issues, old system mods, favorite games, lost gems, rediscovered classics, etc. There's just so much to talk about retro gaming that it really needs it's own forum. It would also help build the community up because those that want to talk about retro topics wouldn't have to go elsewhere to do so.