By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its lack of any reasonable sense when it comes to modern technology.

Is it wrong that I read your rant in Eric Cartman's voice?

Around the Network

I can confirm this, download speeds are MUCH slower than even the Wii. I checked this with re-downloading VC games and games which took 40 seconds to download on Wii took ~3 minutes on WiiU. I downloaded Sonic Racing Transformed and it took around 15 hours, while downloading the same game on my 360 or PC would have taken less than an hour.

My guess is that Nintendo has very few servers in very few locations to save money. Which means that if you're online in certain countries or at certain times, you're screwed.

superchunk said:
CityOfNoobs said:
You are obviously not getting an optimal wireless connection to the Wii U, there are a ton of setting you could try messing with, or you can just go get an ethernet adapter and be done with the worry.

For what its worth I use the ethernet adapter and downloaded/installed AC3 in 8 hours (12 Mbps connection speed).

Its not he wireless.

My WiiU is downstairs with my router and gets great connection. Everything else BUT the downloading of content is super fast on the WiiU.

My PC that is upstairs on the opposite side of the house has a noticeably worse connect (wiiu browser is faster) and it rates above 17Mbps.

Its Nintendo.

See, I did not blame the wireless. I blamed the connection of the wireless to the wii-U. That could be many many things, and not all devices are created equal. Just because one device can connect at certain setting and get good results does not mean that all can, and it certianly does not mean that the device can operate 100% of internet functions (Think having to forward ports to host a game, or creating specail firewall permissions) . The fact is that the problem could be many many things, anyhting from local servers, your local configuration of your network, the wii u itself is getting a bad write rate to the harddrive, your just donwloading at congested times, etc....  However this problem is not universal as other forum members have pointed out. 

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

CityOfNoobs said:

See, I did not blame the wireless. I blamed the connection of the wireless to the wii-U. That could be many many things, and not all devices are created equal. Just because one device can connect at certain setting and get good results does not mean that all can, and it certianly does not mean that the device can operate 100% of internet functions (Think having to forward ports to host a game, or creating specail firewall permissions) . The fact is that the problem could be many many things, anyhting from local servers, your local configuration of your network, the wii u itself is getting a bad write rate to the harddrive, your just donwloading at congested times, etc....  However this problem is not universal as other forum members have pointed out. 

So why is the wiiu browser noticeably faster than my upstairs PC?

Why is netflix always HD and never lag on WiiU, while it may lag rarely on upstairs?

Sorry, but it has nothing to do with my house.

Just using the WiiU shows there is a massive difference in how it works with the internet and its own services. Its definitely something on Nintendo's side of the fence.

superchunk said:
CityOfNoobs said:

Why is netflix always HD and never lag on WiiU, while it may lag rarely on upstairs?

Just using the WiiU shows there is a massive difference in how it works with the internet and its own services. Its definitely something on Nintendo's side of the fence.

Did you even read my post? I did not say that it 100% had to do with your house. Wow, come to think of it, its obvious you did not read my post at all. Never mind have fun being angry and not solving your issue. 

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

Around the Network
CityOfNoobs said:
superchunk said:
CityOfNoobs said:

Did you even read my post? I did not say that it 100% had to do with your house. Wow, come to think of it, its obvious you did not read my post at all. Never mind have fun being angry and not solving your issue. 

Did you read his post?

He said Netflix and internet browsing is FAST, there is no issue here with the wireless connection.

So many people in here aren't listening to what he's made abundantly clear. IT'S NINTENDO.

CityOfNoobs said:
superchunk said:
CityOfNoobs said:

I read your post. You basically said it could be many number of things. I provided examples ruling out some of those and saying the evidence shows it has to be something on nintendo's side of the fence.

That could be its internal memory and thus maybe somewhat fixed with an external drive.

It could be just bad timing as many others were downloading the same game. But since it seems to be universally slow at downloading any content... idk.

It could servers and the lack of them in my area. That would also explain some users having great experiences where others do not. I know from miiverse I'm clearly not the only one. Maybe my nearest one is in LA and just way congested. Well those cheap bastards need to put more out for my region.

I really don't know. All I do know is I never felt like it was horrible with PS3 and doubt it will exist with other consoles. Nintendo does things differently and has proven time and time again that their compentence is not in general technology, but games. They really need help in this infrastructure as it always seems to suck at launch... in fact I'd argue WiiU has been the worst yet.

For Nintendo to seek out third-parties support, as well as core gamers, Wii U does have its fault, while straying away from their Wii strategy. There's a difference between incompetence, and cheapness. Furthermore, there's a difference between acknowledging what the gaming industry wants/needs versus what Nintendo thinks is best for the gaming industry/gamers.

superchunk said:
RolStoppable said:
Finally you are seeing the light. I told you the system is garbage. It takes way longer than on the Wii to download stuff and on top of it you have to install stuff afterwards to use it. The installs alone take longer than the downloads on Wii.

Yep.. its downloading is worse than Wii. This better be fixed by software updates.

It's proally infastructure (Both Nintendo and your ISP) in addition to whats going on with the system. It only took 14 hours for me to download ACIII and Rabbids Land and finish the install. Plus I don't have a third of your bandwidth. (My max is 6Mbps and I doubt I was even using half of that, since my little brother and mother stream Netflicks constantly.)

I think the main problem is you tried to go digital and with Ubisoft at that.
Stay retail for another gen or so.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"