By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its lack of any reasonable sense when it comes to modern technology.

I mean seriously WTF?!!?!?!?!?!!!1

I have cable broadband internet. While I was downloading Assassin's Creed 3 on my WiiU I tested my connection on a ethernet connected PC and it had a download speed of over 21Mbps.

Yet, it took my WiiU on wifi-n... with no one else on the internet for majority of the time OVER 26HRS TO DOWNLOAD AND THEN INSTALL THE FUCKING GAME.

The install took 30 minutes by itself then another hour to download and install a patch.

This is simply unacceptable. I test my upstairs computer that is connected via the same wifi-n and has a worse connection due to distance and house walls, etc, and it has over a 17Mbps download speed.

I googled to see if there were any solutions and the only thing that really came up was to use a USB HDD as that bypassed the internal memory all together and supposedly demonstrated significant speed increases.

I just don't get it.

How can a company design a console completely around internet connect as its required for ALL of their new features. Yet, have a technical base that is pure shit and works worse than anything built in the last 10 years.

I mean Miiverse, NintendoTVii, all the 3rd party tools, great browser (that screams in speed btw), and the modern eShop with a full digital approach is all left to be a shit experience because of whatever crap Nintendo devised inside the box.

Is it the slow ass memory? Is it slow ass flash ram? WTF could possibly be going on in Nintendo's minds that they devised this big digital push with a HORRIBLE backbone.

All I have to say is that if the Spring update doesn't seriously improve the downloading, I'll never buy digital titles again from them. Hell, I may just stick to 1st party stuff I have to have and simply move to another console all together even when games are on both.

A 17GB file should NEVER take that long... ever. Ruined my entire hype to play the game. I should have spent the few extra bucks and just drove down and bought it on sale at Best Buy. At least my time to play would have been just the hour long damn patch. Which in itself is too long.

EDIT: btw, using this calculator and estimating the speeds my WiiU should be seeing based on my wifi-n connected PC... it should of taken between 1 and 3 hrs.

http://www.numion.com/calculators/time.html

Around the Network

You could always buy the USB ethernet adapter!

Even if it's only 10BASE-T and USB 2.0...

It only took you 26 hours to download and install Assassin's Creed III? Man, that's like... the future!!!

~ Said someone from 1999

BaldrSkies said:
You could always buy the USB ethernet adapter!

Even if it's only 10BASE-T and USB 2.0...

From what I read, it makes no difference.

Plus, not my testing on a PC with a far worse overall connection... still gets over 17Mbps.

NintendoPie said:

It only took you 26 hours to download and install Assassin's Creed III? Man, that's like... the future!!!

over 25hrs to download and less than 1hr to install... horrible.

Around the Network

A 20 GIGABYTE Download isn't a quick thing.  Unless you have 100 seeders ;-P

Seriously it's the same thing on PS3360

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26573880/playstation-store-download-times....

Quit ur bitchin!

RolStoppable said:
Finally you are seeing the light. I told you the system is garbage. It takes way longer than on the Wii to download stuff and on top of it you have to install stuff afterwards to use it. The installs alone take longer than the downloads on Wii.

Yep.. its downloading is worse than Wii. This better be fixed by software updates.

hey that's still "much" faster than my internet lol

superchunk said:
NintendoPie said:

~ Said someone from 1999

over 25hrs to download and less than 1hr to install... horrible.

You missed my edit. It made a lot more sense when I edited that part in.

could somebody explain to me why the download speeds are so slow?