By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its lack of any reasonable sense when it comes to modern technology.

Hopefully the new firmware update will fix this. It's apparently to speed things up with the OS, perhaps downloading will be part of it...

Around the Network

Stay away from the main quest, use the fast travel, and you'll have loads of fun.. It's worth the 40. A game that size has a lot to offer.

BaldrSkies said:
MDMAlliance said:
BaldrSkies said:
Otakumegane said:
I can add to the fact that I started DLing my demo of MH3U on WiiU and 3ds at the same time.

The 3DS finished DLing before the WiiU did, and I played the demo for about 40 min until the WiiU version was ready.

Yeah the it's pretty bad.

To be fair, the 3DS version is a quarter the size :p

Honestly, that's still pretty big. Haha. 

202 MB is pretty big? O.o

No sarcasms, right?  I mean, I think 202 MB for a demo is pretty big.  Especially considering the platform.

se7en7thre3 said:

Is Comcast your ISP? I've had no such wii u prob. on UVerse (12mbps)

at&t is shit. please look at my sig.

superchunk said:

I mean seriously WTF?!!?!?!?!?!!!1

I have cable broadband internet. While I was downloading Assassin's Creed 3 on my WiiU I tested my connection on a ethernet connected PC and it had a download speed of over 21Mbps.

Yet, it took my WiiU on wifi-n... with no one else on the internet for majority of the time OVER 26HRS TO DOWNLOAD AND THEN INSTALL THE FUCKING GAME.

The install took 30 minutes by itself then another hour to download and install a patch.

This is simply unacceptable. I test my upstairs computer that is connected via the same wifi-n and has a worse connection due to distance and house walls, etc, and it has over a 17Mbps download speed.

I googled to see if there were any solutions and the only thing that really came up was to use a USB HDD as that bypassed the internal memory all together and supposedly demonstrated significant speed increases.

I just don't get it.

How can a company design a console completely around internet connect as its required for ALL of their new features. Yet, have a technical base that is pure shit and works worse than anything built in the last 10 years.

I mean Miiverse, NintendoTVii, all the 3rd party tools, great browser (that screams in speed btw), and the modern eShop with a full digital approach is all left to be a shit experience because of whatever crap Nintendo devised inside the box.

Is it the slow ass memory? Is it slow ass flash ram? WTF could possibly be going on in Nintendo's minds that they devised this big digital push with a HORRIBLE backbone.

All I have to say is that if the Spring update doesn't seriously improve the downloading, I'll never buy digital titles again from them. Hell, I may just stick to 1st party stuff I have to have and simply move to another console all together even when games are on both.

A 17GB file should NEVER take that long... ever. Ruined my entire hype to play the game. I should have spent the few extra bucks and just drove down and bought it on sale at Best Buy. At least my time to play would have been just the hour long damn patch. Which in itself is too long.

EDIT: btw, using this calculator and estimating the speeds my WiiU should be seeing based on my wifi-n connected PC... it should of taken between 1 and 3 hrs.

http://www.numion.com/calculators/time.html

Sorry to hear that bro, I downloaded 931MB (The Cave Demo, or was it Monster Hunter 3? Can't remember, got both pretty fast) with my USB Ethernet thing in only a few minutes(well not like a few, I remember it being about 14 min actually) and it installed on my USB HDD pretty fast personally, wireless just sucks in general I think.

Around the Network
benji232 said:
My wiiU downloaded Monster hunterU demo (which is about 1GB) in 8minutes, which means that 17gbs would have taken me about 136 minutes to download, so it has to be an internet problem on your part. That or my internet is super-uber fast lol.

side note... I downloaded the same demo before this game and it took about 20mins.

bananaking21 said:
could somebody explain to me why the download speeds are so slow?

I think it's location based, my downloads are usually at the right speeds on that slow ass USB ethernet thing, pretty sure the Wii U caps it out most of the time actually but it's stable.

Question, superchunk, where do you live?

dahuman said:
bananaking21 said:
could somebody explain to me why the download speeds are so slow?

I think it's location based, my downloads are usually at the right speeds on that slow ass USB ethernet thing, pretty sure the Wii U caps it out most of the time actually but it's stable.

Question, superchunk, where do you live?

so its the network then? depending on where your position is and how far from there servers?

If Nintendo's digital distribution is anything like many other companies, it's likely it has regional servers based on set location or IP. Your particular local server may just be more congested (or simply sucks) compared to some others.

VGKing said:
Well lucky for me my internet speed in naturally slow so it takes dozens of hours to download a game anyway....

If it makes you feel any better, I've been downloading Vanquish over the past few days through Playstation Plus.....somehow the file is corrupted. THIS is unacceptable. It took me DAYS to download this game and deleting it and re-downloading is a huge pain in the ass. Looking around the forums, a lot of people have these problems.

oh no :( that sucks dood, Vanquish is awesome, I hope you get to play it soon.