By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and 3rd parties *Formerly; Nintendo is f*cking up big times with 3rd parties*

AlphaCielago said:
DanneSandin said:
Mnementh said:

4) I have differing numbers of 3rd party developers... I'll leave it at that.

5) The game WAS canceled, but was very shortly green lighted thereafter again. The multiplat game was canceled by Nintendo before it was put on hiatus on EVERY platform.

6) Can't remember right now, but I think PS4 will be region free. My source talked very negatively about region locked consoles.

7) Read my 2nd post in this thread; criterion had problem developing for Wii U UNTIL they got better tools from Nintendo, and according to my source this was better dev kits because of the back lash they received once the secret about gimped dev kits was leaked within the industry.

But yes, perhaps I am over exaggerating or being told lies, but it's still worth a thought instead of the usual "3rd parties hate Nintendo so much that they don't want money"-theory.

About the "cancelled" game, don't you mean it was not approved. It sounds a bit weird when saying cancel. Nintendo uses the seal of aproval system and any game that does not have it can not come to the system, if I'm correct in this one that is.

All I know is that my source said "canceled", I don't have any further information than that unfortunately...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

5) The game WAS canceled, but was very shortly green lighted thereafter again. The multiplat game was canceled by Nintendo before it was put on hiatus on EVERY platform.

6) Can't remember right now, but I think PS4 will be region free. My source talked very negatively about region locked consoles.

7) Read my 2nd post in this thread; criterion had problem developing for Wii U UNTIL they got better tools from Nintendo, and according to my source this was better dev kits because of the back lash they received once the secret about gimped dev kits was leaked within the industry.

But yes, perhaps I am over exaggerating or being told lies, but it's still worth a thought instead of the usual "3rd parties hate Nintendo so much that they don't want money"-theory.

4) ? I don't understand.

5) OK, that sounds strange.

6) That even more points to a PS-bias if he dislikes region-locked and has this info about Nextbox. Anyways, so far I heard no info about including or excluding region-codes on PS4, has your source info regarding this?

7) Yes, and as I explained it, it might be logical that EA as a 'not so good supporter in the past' got the older devkit first. As I pointed out, one dev claims to get no PS4-devkit at all, although trying. They are a limited resource. It makes sense, if a manufacturer supports first internal studios and 3rd-parties with good relationship with better-speced devkits. But before others get no devkit at all, they get the older ones that were first tested in internal studios. At least that makes a lot of sense. And again, EA wasn't the best supporter of Nintendo-platforms in the past, so it would make a lot of sense to give the better devkits first to Ubisoft, Capcom and WB, before EA gets one.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

AlphaCielago said:
DanneSandin said:
Mnementh said:

About the "cancelled" game, don't you mean it was not approved. It sounds a bit weird when saying cancel. Nintendo uses the seal of aproval system and any game that does not have it can not come to the system, if I'm correct in this one that is.

All three manufacturers license the games and are creating the release-schedule and stuff like that. All manufacturers disallow some games at least in some regions, so here in germany all three don't release games that get no USK-rating. So the terminus of greenlighting the game is pretty much that, but that means in reality that the game is cancelled. The game-devs could release a game without license (at least here in europe), but that would surely make it impossible to get future devkits. The big three want to control the game-releases.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I have to agree somewhat with people here, your source says canceled but it seems that the game may have been refused by all platform holders for a specific reasons and issues, I doubt it's strictly a Nintendo thing like claimed.

Wyrdness said:
I have to agree somewhat with people here, your source says canceled but it seems that the game may have been refused by all platform holders for a specific reasons and issues, I doubt it's strictly a Nintendo thing like claimed.

The multiplat game was put on hiatus due to changes within the developing studio...

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Wyrdness said:

The multiplat game was put on hiatus due to changes within the developing studio...

Is it a big name studio or rather is the publisher well known?

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Mnementh said:
DanneSandin said:

4) ? I don't understand.

5) OK, that sounds strange.

6) That even more points to a PS-bias if he dislikes region-locked and has this info about Nextbox. Anyways, so far I heard no info about including or excluding region-codes on PS4, has your source info regarding this?

7) Yes, and as I explained it, it might be logical that EA as a 'not so good supporter in the past' got the older devkit first. As I pointed out, one dev claims to get no PS4-devkit at all, although trying. They are a limited resource. It makes sense, if a manufacturer supports first internal studios and 3rd-parties with good relationship with better-speced devkits. But before others get no devkit at all, they get the older ones that were first tested in internal studios. At least that makes a lot of sense. And again, EA wasn't the best supporter of Nintendo-platforms in the past, so it would make a lot of sense to give the better devkits first to Ubisoft, Capcom and WB, before EA gets one.

5) Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what went down with those 2 titles...

6) I THINK that he said the PS4 will be region free, but he never mentioned any region-codes...

7) it became obvious that 3rd party sdks lacked vital and very helpful api's for graphics rendering, and the 'nintendo space' banned from use for 3rd party devs was being used without reservation (by Nintendo) - so basically 3rd party devs other than the one that found this got wind, and we've all basically said 'fix this shit or we go elsewhere', nintendo then issued a sdk update that added SOME of the api's for gpu processing but the memory restriction still in place

And regarding the bias of this source: "the 720 is a great console, much more powerful than the wiiU, PS3 and 360"

Barbarossa said:

Battle.net maybe? With blizzard supporting it not impossible I guess and you also said they kind of mentioned it already. Oh, does this mean WoW on PS4?

fordy said:

DanneSandin said:

fordy said:

DanneSandin said:

He doesn't have to have that since he's a developer... What he's told me is that 3rd parties is sick and tired of the way Nintendo is acting; I don't know if he represents the whole industry...

Developers don't make the decisions, the executives do. If he doesn't have to have much business sense, then he also shouldn't be speaking for EXECUTIVE business decisions. How is this, therefore, a "trustworthy source"?

I'm calling BS on this. It lacks common sense and defies any kind of business logic.

I couldn't agree more, and that's why I said that Nintendo is fucking up big times.

Nintendo is fucking up because your agument is illogical? No, they've been doing so long before that.

Let me give you an example of this. I'm an executive, and I call for a game to be developed for the Wii. Now, as an executive, how do you think I'd react if my developers came back and said "We refuse to develop for the Wii because we're not entitled to the same memory allocation as Nintendo"? Keep in mind that the executive doesn't give two shits about technicalities, they're in charge of financial and overall business decisions.

A working example of this was Square moving from Nintendo exlcusitivity. It wasn't done on a TECHNICAL sense. It was done on a FINANCIAL sense. In fact, look up some youtube videos on the history of Squaresoft, and the workers at the time explained how executives came in one day and just told the team "We're going with PlayStation now". It wasn't the devs making this decision, they just did what they were told. A lot of devs were excited, and a lot of devs were disappointed by the decision, but they still had to follow executive orders.

I think Square abandoned Nintendo because of the lack of a cd-rom. They just thought it was the future, turns out they were right. A mistake Nintendo still haven't recovered from.

If cartridges costed the same per MB as CDs, do you think that Square would have moved? 

Once again, the technical details didn't bother them. After all, originally they weren't phased by it since they made a demo of FF7 for the N64. It was when they made a massive game that was going to be incredibly expensive to fit on cartridge that they decided to take the cheaper option of CDs. This has been mentioned many times by Square staff in interviews. Once again, purely financial decision. They didn't do it just because "CDs are the future".

AlphaCielago said:
DanneSandin said:
Wyrdness said:

Is it a big name studio or rather is the publisher well known?

Well known publisher

RolStoppable said:
I checked your E3 prediction thread and it looks like your source is already going back on some of the things he said (the PS4's price). This would be the point where you seriously have to consider confirmation bias and wishful thinking on your source's part.

Also, the prediction about Gaikai going to be awesome is something that's very subjective. Should give you another hint what the bias of your source is.

The Gaikai comment is MINE, not the source. I think that it'll be pretty sweet. I wish I could tell you what it was. I will say no more about it.