By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS: PS4 devkits 1.5GB RAM!!!! [UPDATE]

Great

Around the Network
n-skyline said:
if Sony can change it last second then expect Microsoft to do the same

Not exactly. Changing quantity is one thing. But type is another. There are plenty of techies here to explain why, but MS is pinned down with 8GB of GDRR3 with ESRAM as support.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

The question is if MS even cares about the power. If they do: THey are in a position where they can do it.

Anyhow: Can you imagine how games will look in mid and late in this cycle? Holy fuck

obviously it was reactionary once ms "specs" got leaked. hence the no showing of hardware. with more memory comes more heat and cooling issues. they could not show a console then findout the design is a fire hazard. damn you toshiba and your laptops

Sneaky sneaky, Sony.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

So the previous rumors about the 4GB GDDR5 ram were true, but Sony added the another 4 in the last minute.

This will mean amazing textures on PS4 games. I just can't imagine how 2nd generation PS4 games will look like!

So the second wave of games may have a slightly bigger graphical leap than usual?

Microsoft did the same last generation - a very late jump from 256 MB to 512 MB of GDDR3. It should not be hard to change even close to final specs that way when you are talking about the same type of memory.

Now Sony did it and for MS to change their game again when they must have been working with the (few) advantages of DDR3 over GDDR5 for their Kinect and multimedia functions for years now, I really doubt it.

Turkish said:
So the previous rumors about the 4GB GDDR5 ram were true, but Sony added the another 4 in the last minute.

This will mean amazing textures on PS4 games. I just can't imagine how 2nd generation PS4 games will look like!

Let alone last gen! Imagine a late Naughty Dog game... will look CG-ish.

The extra RAM will help a lot with 3D gaming, good thing.