By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS: PS4 devkits 1.5GB RAM!!!! [UPDATE]

Kinda hard to imagine how all this multitasking things take 4 GB of RAM. I still think this is way to much for games atm. Like disolitude was saying, Battlefield 3 on ultra takes 2 GB (someone correct me if I'm wrong). 

But either way, 4 GB is really a lot. I want to see how games (especially 1st party ones) will use all this RAM (if they ever use it all).

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Deyon said:
Lol. Sony fooled everyone!

this

and if everythig shown last night was 4GRAM then his gen's going to do more then blow minds.

Microsoft will follow suit & up th RAM to match PS4 it's a win for gamers.

PPPPOOOOOWWWWWAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!! 8gig of ram :) it was great 2 here that during the meeting.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

Sharu said:
disolitude said:
This is good news for the whole futureproofing of PS4.

But before people start saying this is an immediate game changer and how Killzone would look 5X better if they had 8GB ram to work with...please ask me how much RAM a game like Battlefield 3 uses, completely maxed, and running on 3 screens on PC at 5760x1080 resolution.

Hint - its less than 4 GB.

Yeah, I thought the same... Now my PC is 4Gb of RAM... If I'll change it to 8 the games will not be 2x prettier, just a little bit faster loading... Only software on my PC which uses a lot of RAM are big soundbanks which should be in the memory while I'm working with them... So all the hype about extra RAM looks very strange to me from the gaming point of view...

Yea I have 16 gb of ram.  there is so much wasted ram sitting around doing nothing no matter how much shit i'm doing.

Around the Network
Sharu said:
disolitude said:
This is good news for the whole futureproofing of PS4.

But before people start saying this is an immediate game changer and how Killzone would look 5X better if they had 8GB ram to work with...please ask me how much RAM a game like Battlefield 3 uses, completely maxed, and running on 3 screens on PC at 5760x1080 resolution.

Hint - its less than 4 GB.

Yeah, I thought the same... Now my PC is 4Gb of RAM... If I'll change it to 8 the games will not be 2x prettier, just a little bit faster loading... Only software on my PC which uses a lot of RAM are big soundbanks which should be in the memory while I'm working with them... So all the hype about extra RAM looks very strange to me from the gaming point of view...

Yeah excatly...

More GPU RAM (VRAM) and you may be able to get deliver more frames per second (if you have the GPU power to push those frames out). 

But PS4 is going to hit the CPU and GPU bottleneck waay before it can utilize more than 2 GB of VRAM.

However good news here is that Killzone is supposed to be 1080p@30 fps...So this may be able to give them 60fps if VRAM and not GPU/CPU were the bottlenecks..

Lol at all these ppl hating on Sony. If your taking your time to post flaming trolling negative articles about Sony. Then your a Big L.

Does extra RAM really make that much of a difference to graphics? I thought it was for, well, other stuff....(tech ignoramus here)

No wonder Mark Rein from Epic was so excited. He seemed a bit too pumped for someone who should have known everything already.

Trunkin said:
Does extra RAM really make that much of a difference to graphics? I thought it was for, well, other stuff....(tech ignoramus here)

Yeah, it's a bit silly focusing on graphics, or citing multi-platform PC games that are designed to work with a variety of settings.  The real benefit will be with other things besides how shiney a game looks.