By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS: PS4 devkits 1.5GB RAM!!!! [UPDATE]

This didn't come as a total surprise to me I read a story from the front page a few days ago and I can't remember if it was in the headline story or a link in it but it basically was an update on the PS4 and listed pretty much what we knew except it said Sony was rumored to have upped the 4 gig of ram to 8 gig inline with rumored durango ram size , it seems to me Sony wants to be lead platform for multiplats next gen and not have fiasco's like Skyrim.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
superchunk said:

This fits my theory that this change in RAM is exactly why we didn't see a PS4 in the box yesterday. They are busily changing all the innards to address the new RAM chips and that of course will change the entire design of the rest of the system from cooling, power, and of course physical shape/form.

ORRRRRRRRR

Only 4GB is reserved for games and the other 4GB is for all the other shit they mentioned. O_O

nope he said it was unified.

wtf does that have to do with anything? WiiU ram is unified but its still 1GB for games and 1GB for OS.

taus90 said:
mjk45 said:
taus90 said:
But didnt dev kits already have 8 gigs, Sony only confirmed that even retail model will ship 8 gigs. before this going by the rumor everyone one even developers knew sony was pushing for 8gb in the final design.. i m pretty sure these developers are just exaggerating to hype things up

the things is most dev kits tend to have a lot more ram than the home system it enables them to play around with large amounts of  unoptimised data and refine it .

correct me if i am wrong. But PS3 and 360 dev kits have had 512 ram, which is similar to the final retail version.

360 dev kits have twice the amount  1 gig ram and PS3 I not quite sure early reports talking 2005 dev kits said twice the ram but only  mentioned ram  in relation  to the rx chip 512 versus 256mb since the ram isn't unified they most likely talked about it individualy hence 512 versus 256.

superchunk said:
mjk45 said:
superchunk said:

This fits my theory that this change in RAM is exactly why we didn't see a PS4 in the box yesterday. They are busily changing all the innards to address the new RAM chips and that of course will change the entire design of the rest of the system from cooling, power, and of course physical shape/form.

ORRRRRRRRR

Only 4GB is reserved for games and the other 4GB is for all the other shit they mentioned. O_O

nope he said it was unified.

wtf does that have to do with anything? WiiU ram is unified but its still 1GB for games and 1GB for OS.

Calm down  I thought you meant like the PS3 , I forgot about your infatuation , still what other shit do you mean if it is all the new uploading downloading that's all handled by it's own chip , they seem to have tried to offload a lot of that stuff so it doesn't impact performance, still their will be OS demands but it certainly won't have a 4gig footprint now or the future it most likely will be handled in the same way as the PS3 except they wont need to shrink the OS footprint to free up resources just efficiency.

mjk45 said:

Calm down  I thought you meant like the PS3 , I forgot about your infatuation , still what other shit do you mean if it is all the new uploading downloading that's all handled by it's own chip , they seem to have tried to offload a lot of that stuff so it doesn't impact performance, still their will be OS demands but it certainly won't have a 4gig footprint now or the future it most likely will be handled in the same way as the PS3 except they wont need to shrink the OS footprint to free up resources just efficiency.

lol what is my infatuation?

Your comment made no sense. "Unified" RAM has nothing to do with how they allocate the overall resources.

Yes, there is an extra ARM CPU for this stuff, however, it still uses RAM. It doesn't have a seperate pool of ram so it will be using part of this 8GB.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
mjk45 said:

lol what is my infatuation?

Your comment made no sense. "Unified" RAM has nothing to do with how they allocate the overall resources.

Yes, there is an extra ARM CPU for this stuff, however, it still uses RAM. It doesn't have a seperate pool of ram so it will be using part of this 8GB.

comparing everything to the WIIU.

I already mentioned i thought what you where talking about was in regard to to the PS3 non unified ram approach when you mentioned splitting the 8 gig  ,after that I asked about what you meant by all that shit and me talking about dl up ld and its own chip and performance was to show it wont be a big drag on the system maybe i should have brought that up seperatly  , still I mentioned the OS demand  and why there is no need to split it.

mjk45 said:

comparing everything to the WIIU.

I already mentioned i thought what you where talking about was in regard to to the PS3 non unified ram approach when you mentioned splitting the 8 gig  ,after that I asked about what you meant by all that shit and me talking about dl up ld and its own chip and performance was to show it wont be a big drag on the system maybe i should have brought that up seperatly  , still I mentioned the OS demand  and why there is no need to split it.

I could of compared it to neXtBox... its using 8GBs of unified ram and the rumors are that more than 3GBs of that are for the OS. But it hasn't been proven yet so I used the only other current comparison.

The OS demand is going to be massive on RAM. Video content in HD is not small.

Mnementh said:
adriane23 said:
"BUt all that ramz is uzeless? No game will ever use all that in a million years!"

The general SONY hater comment.

Are making up stuff? I saw no one complaining that the RAM will stay unused.

You must not have been on CNN or IGN's comment sections last night.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

just think how much better these games will look

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Kaz did again.... just trolled the world in the Sony conference... EPIC!!!