By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS: PS4 devkits 1.5GB RAM!!!! [UPDATE]

But didnt dev kits already have 8 gigs, Sony only confirmed that even retail model will ship 8 gigs. before this going by the rumor everyone one even developers knew sony was pushing for 8gb in the final design.. i m pretty sure these developers are just exaggerating to hype things up

Around the Network

This is good news for the whole futureproofing of PS4.

But before people start saying this is an immediate game changer and how Killzone would look 5X better if they had 8GB ram to work with...please ask me how much RAM a game like Battlefield 3 uses, completely maxed, and running on 3 screens on PC at 5760x1080 resolution.

Hint - its less than 4 GB.

dahuman said:
The extra RAM will help a lot with 3D gaming, good thing.

As in stereoscopic 3D? I don't see extra RAM helping that at all. GPU processing is the bottleneck there... Coutless PC benchmarks show that 3GB vs 1.5 GB Nvidia cards make no difference when 3D vision is used.

If you mean regular 3D polygonal gaming (95% of games out there), I fully agree. :)

disolitude said:
dahuman said:
The extra RAM will help a lot with 3D gaming, good thing.

As in stereoscopic 3D? I don't see extra RAM helping that at all. GPU processing is the bottleneck there... Coutless PC benchmarks show that 3GB vs 1.5 GB Nvidia cards make no difference when 3D vision is used.

If you mean regular 3D polygonal gaming (95% of games out there), I fully agree. :)

I think it will depend on how big the games will get, the extra framebuffer can't hurt, but yeah you are right on the bottleneck part and it won't be the RAM this time around for sure but the GPU power, I still think they should have waited another year then we would have really amazing hardware in the consoles then :-/ I'm not even sure they can fully utilize the 8GB at this point in time using that kind of hardware TBH.

This fits my theory that this change in RAM is exactly why we didn't see a PS4 in the box yesterday. They are busily changing all the innards to address the new RAM chips and that of course will change the entire design of the rest of the system from cooling, power, and of course physical shape/form.

ORRRRRRRRR

Only 4GB is reserved for games and the other 4GB is for all the other shit they mentioned. O_O

Around the Network
disolitude said:
This is good news for the whole futureproofing of PS4.

But before people start saying this is an immediate game changer and how Killzone would look 5X better if they had 8GB ram to work with...please ask me how much RAM a game like Battlefield 3 uses, completely maxed, and running on 3 screens on PC at 5760x1080 resolution.

Hint - its less than 4 GB.

Yeah, I thought the same... Now my PC is 4Gb of RAM... If I'll change it to 8 the games will not be 2x prettier, just a little bit faster loading... Only software on my PC which uses a lot of RAM are big soundbanks which should be in the memory while I'm working with them... So all the hype about extra RAM looks very strange to me from the gaming point of view...

And also - can anybody check how much memory will take 15 minutes of uncompressed video in 720/1080p?

n-skyline said:
if Sony can change it last second then expect Microsoft to do the same

then we can also say all the rumors of the nextbox are false until M$ says what it has.

Sharu said:
And also - can anybody check how much memory will take 15 minutes of uncompressed video in 720/1080p?

324 GBytes.. you need more gddr5 ram

LiquorandGunFun said:
n-skyline said:
if Sony can change it last second then expect Microsoft to do the same

then we can also say all the rumors of the nextbox are false until M$ says what it has.

Sony just doubled the RAM. MS would have to change the architecture, since all PS4 rumors proved to be correct. RAM size apart, sure. Also Sony can afford to make the console more undercost, they have a different strategy (a dozen of game developer studios) and a different business model- They are an electronic manufactoring industry, not a SW house like MS.