By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 5 Most Influential First Person Shooters of All Time

Duck Hunt? No, just no. Put Quake instead.

The rest of the list's fine.

Around the Network

Hmm, why no Call of Duty? The original I mean. It was the first proper attempt at WWII shooter with elements of realism, based on actual operations from the war and loosely on characters from real war stories. It also had incredible atmosphere and best and most manic pacing I have ever experienced in a game (till UC2) without being cheesy or over the top.
Its quite simply damn near perfect for its time and actually heaps better than Modern Warfare (which is also a great game, mind you), which has gained most of its popularity and reputation for having launched under the fortunate cirumstances it did where it reached the mass market and angry teens playing online shit-slinging campaigns.

The original CoD is kind of in the same boat as Half-Life; it worked wonders for the genre but is too old for the mass market to enjoy and thus they get credit they deserve mostly from nostalgics and PC gamers.

Mummelmann said:
Hmm, why no Call of Duty? The original I mean. It was the first proper attempt at WWII shooter with elements of realism, based on actual operations from the war and loosely on characters from real war stories. It also had incredible atmosphere and best and most manic pacing I have ever experienced in a game (till UC2) without being cheesy or over the top.
Its quite simply damn near perfect for its time and actually heaps better than Modern Warfare (which is also a great game, mind you), which has gained most of its popularity and reputation for having launched under the fortunate cirumstances it did where it reached the mass market and angry teens playing online shit-slinging campaigns.

The original CoD is kind of in the same boat as Half-Life; it worked wonders for the genre but is too old for the mass market to enjoy and thus they get credit they deserve mostly from nostalgics and PC gamers.

The original Call of Duty did not had that much of an impact for me like Medal of honour did before.  

Anyway the list is good for me,  except for Duck Hunt I spent a lot of time with those games/franchises...  and still have good memories :).

i played DOOM and wolfenstein so much, it's ridiculous.

Duck Hunt is not a FPS it is a Light Gun game. Just because the perspectives are similar doesn't make them the same.

So I would dump Duck Hunt and replace it with Quake. Other than that the list is well done.

Around the Network

turok,counter strike would be in my list

halo thats a big lol

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Mummelmann said:

Medal of Honor came before Call of Duty and it was a fantastic game. Even the PC version, Medal of Nonor Allied Assault, came before Call of Duty and it's one of the best WWII games ever made. I'd say it's just as good as Call of Duty.

no cod 4 lol all the shooters this gen are just a carbon copy of the game

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

No counter Strike or Cod? but there is Halo? ok. i think Halo deserves its place in a way but not above CS or Cod

kljesta64 said:
turok,counter strike would be in my list

halo thats a big lol

I know. There should be at least two Halo games on the list. Anything else is just silly.

Halo is that good. Halo 4 hasn't left my 360 since it came out.

Later, I'm off to go play some Spartan Ops.