By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Which Developed Country are you Glad you don't live in? (Round 3)

Which Developed Country are you Glad you Don't live in

France/Italy 4 6.45%

Poland/Ukraine 8 12.90%

Russia 11 17.74%

South Korea/Japan 1 1.61%

Spain/Portugal 4 6.45%

United Kingdom 3 4.84%

USA 16 25.81%

Different Country in Eastern Europe 1 1.61%

Different Country in Former British Empire 0 0%

See Results 14 22.58%

Total:62
dsgrue3 said:
Michael-5 said:
dsgrue3 said:
I'm pretty shocked how high US is. China is the clear choice out of these nations, censorship, pollution, tossing baby girls in the garbage. The list is endless to the brutality of this country.

That's cause you're American, and generally opague to the problems your country has.

I mean China has pollution and USA doesn't? Last I Checked USA was second after China in terms of pollution.

Plus USA has really high homicide rates, rampant racism, a 36% Obesity rate, more then double any other option on this list, excessive debt (700 TRILLION $ bailout) to the poor, Increadable Capitalsm and mega corporations, red-necks who carry guns for "protection", a massive drug problem.....

USA has a higher poverty rate then China.

:-O!

Bet you didn't know that. USA's Poverty Rate is 15.1%, China's is 13.4%.

So if you moved to China, you'd actually be better off IMO.

I'm not oblivious to US problems.

USA may very well have a higher poverty rate than China, but if you believe our standards for the poverty line are the same you're in for a rude awakening.

• USA poverty line is $11,490 for a household of 1.
  • China poverty line is under $1.25 per day. Do the math.

When I say pollution I mean air quality. 

"China air pollution beyond Index"

http://www.sullivanjournal.com/sports/outdoors/article_0451bc46-73af-11e2-99ff-001a4bcf6878.html

Obesity is a personal issue, unlike pollution, censorship, poverty, health codes, standard of living, tossing babies in the garbage due to restrictions on number of offspring, building codes, safety codes (200 burn in a warehouse - doors locked from the outside).

Once again, Michael, you have not a clue to which you speak. It's pretty hilarious, honestly.

That statistic is gave you is a CIA statistic, and it's a representation of how capable you are of buying goods in order to live. While the Chinese poverty line is $1.25 per day, and the USA line is $40 a day, $1.25 in China gets you about the same amount of goods/services. For instance You can buy 10kg of rice in China (not in major cities) for about 50 cents, in USA it's about $15. Do the math.

As for Air Quality, it's only in major cities in China where you have an aerosol concentration at around 800ppm (Typical US/Canadian limitations are about 20-30ppm). However that will go down, just like it did in North America (we had it as bad as 100ppm). I wouldn't want to live in Bejing either, but what about the mountainside?

Obesity is not a personal issue, I hate taking public transportation because of fat two seaters squishing me into a half seat. Obese people take up space, and Obese people are hideous. I'd rather live in Europe, where the people are nicer, better looking, and not as ignorant.

USA doesn't have abortions? I know the 1 child law is pretty messed up in China, and as a result you get an inbalanced ratio of males to females. China isn't a good place to live, but I wouldn't say it's any worse then USA.

Half the reasons why you don't want to live in China are similar reasons as to why people don't want to live in USA. Poverty (higher then in China), Health Standards (Healthcare primarily for the rich), standards of living (Corporations bleeding poor people out of all their money and good meaningful jobs), safety codes (New Oreans floods because of foorly built damns at a bad location, new damns built in the same location), etc

And don't bring insults into this, honestly. I'm just telling you why USA is scored as high as China, it's only Americans which look at USA fondly, USA is a clusterf*** of problems, which isn't seen as extensively as in Japan/South Korea/Europe. Leave the USA and see how many people think the USA is a good place to live. It's nothing compared to Europe.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
KillerMan said:

Well I was thinking that if you fear that you have something serious like cancer it could bankrupt you in US. Just half year ago I donated at GAF for some US user whose mother had cancer and treatment costed tens of thousands of dollars...

It depends on how serious the person's condition is. Like several other healthcare systems.

With universal healthcare it really doesn't matter. Here you have basic fee of about 20€ per doctor visit but all treatments are completely free.

Michael-5 said:
dsgrue3 said:
Michael-5 said:
dsgrue3 said:
I'm pretty shocked how high US is. China is the clear choice out of these nations, censorship, pollution, tossing baby girls in the garbage. The list is endless to the brutality of this country.

That's cause you're American, and generally opague to the problems your country has.

I mean China has pollution and USA doesn't? Last I Checked USA was second after China in terms of pollution.

Plus USA has really high homicide rates, rampant racism, a 36% Obesity rate, more then double any other option on this list, excessive debt (700 TRILLION $ bailout) to the poor, Increadable Capitalsm and mega corporations, red-necks who carry guns for "protection", a massive drug problem.....

USA has a higher poverty rate then China.

:-O!

Bet you didn't know that. USA's Poverty Rate is 15.1%, China's is 13.4%.

So if you moved to China, you'd actually be better off IMO.

I'm not oblivious to US problems.

USA may very well have a higher poverty rate than China, but if you believe our standards for the poverty line are the same you're in for a rude awakening.

• USA poverty line is $11,490 for a household of 1.
  • China poverty line is under $1.25 per day. Do the math.

When I say pollution I mean air quality. 

"China air pollution beyond Index"

http://www.sullivanjournal.com/sports/outdoors/article_0451bc46-73af-11e2-99ff-001a4bcf6878.html

Obesity is a personal issue, unlike pollution, censorship, poverty, health codes, standard of living, tossing babies in the garbage due to restrictions on number of offspring, building codes, safety codes (200 burn in a warehouse - doors locked from the outside).

Once again, Michael, you have not a clue to which you speak. It's pretty hilarious, honestly.

That statistic is gave you is a CIA statistic, and it's a representation of how capable you are of buying goods in order to live. While the Chinese poverty line is $1.25 per day, and the USA line is $40 a day, $1.25 in China gets you about the same amount of goods/services. For instance You can buy 10kg of rice in China (not in major cities) for about 50 cents, in USA it's about $15. Do the math.

As for Air Quality, it's only in major cities in China where you have an aerosol concentration at around 800ppm (Typical US/Canadian limitations are about 20-30ppm). However that will go down, just like it did in North America (we had it as bad as 100ppm). I wouldn't want to live in Bejing either, but what about the mountainside?

Obesity is not a personal issue, I hate taking public transportation because of fat two seaters squishing me into a half seat. Obese people take up space, and Obese people are hideous. I'd rather live in Europe, where the people are nicer, better looking, and not as ignorant.

USA doesn't have abortions? I know the 1 child law is pretty messed up in China, and as a result you get an inbalanced ratio of males to females. China isn't a good place to live, but I wouldn't say it's any worse then USA.

Half the reasons why you don't want to live in China are similar reasons as to why people don't want to live in USA. Poverty (higher then in China), Health Standards (Healthcare primarily for the rich), standards of living (Corporations bleeding poor people out of all their money and good meaningful jobs), safety codes (New Oreans floods because of foorly built damns at a bad location, new damns built in the same location), etc

And don't bring insults into this, honestly. I'm just telling you why USA is scored as high as China, it's only Americans which look at USA fondly, USA is a clusterf*** of problems, which isn't seen as extensively as in Japan/South Korea/Europe. Leave the USA and see how many people think the USA is a good place to live. It's nothing compared to Europe.

Hey look, not a single source.

Sorry, you have no case. You're just insulting America with more assumptions and suppositions. If you think the quality of living at poverty levels is the same in China as the United States...well you certainly aren't a very bright guy. There is really no way around that.

Glad you concede pollution is far worse in China.

Glad you concede the issue with babies being tossed in dumpsters.

Obesity I have already said it's a problem, but again, it's a personal issue. You can't blame the country for your gluttony - that's ridiculous.

United States has freedom of speech, excellent standards of living, what used to be the best healthcare in the world (key word BEST, no doubt it can be prohibitively expensive), and great Universities. 

How you can say that it's as bad as China is really beyond me. They are WORLDS apart. You might as well be comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari. It's just a horribly one-sided battle. Anyone with some intellect can see this. Then again, you are from the UK...

Anyway, let's consider the UK while we're at it so maybe you'll learn something.

Poverty in the UK - 22%

£119 per week for single adult with no dependent children - that converts to about $9,700 (note: dollars, not pounds)

Result: Worse than USA and China by rate, Worse than USA by dollar amount.

http://www.poverty.org.uk/summary/key%20facts.shtml

"Obesity rates in the UK are the highest in Europe and have increased dramatically over the past few years to such an extent that in excess of 20% of the population are now obese and the costs to the UK economy exceed £3 billion per year. In Birmingham, over 25% of the population are obese - the third highest rate in the UK."

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/mds/centres/obesity/obesity-uk/index.aspx

Result: UK - 20% obese, not anything to brag about there.

Now that we've injected some facts into this I think you realize what a nescient person you've been.

Thanks for playing, Michael. Always a treat.

Augen said:
I think we have very different definitions of developed. Developing nations are in transition (China, Brasil, India, etc.) so not really fair to classify them there yet as can be massive divides depending on where in those countries you are.

Of what I consider developed I would say Mediterranean states (Spain, Italy, Greece) of the EU are not appealing to me. I wilt in the heat and seems to be higher unemployment and more corrupt and bureaucratic there then Northern Europe. I could be wrong, just my perception.

That's unfortunately true....except the weater, I love Greece's heat.

Lol USA/UK as one option.

Around the Network
snyps said:
Jumpin said:
The US, Brazil, or Thailand due to all of crazy gun people, violence, and murder in those countries.

This is why I love it in the USA.  Everyone is scaredy of our freedom to defend ourselves.

You love the US because of crazy gun people, violence, and murder?

Also, a country where it is safe enough that you don't have to defend yourself is much more free than a country where arming yourself for defense is a necessity.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Since I still see China and Brazil as developing countries.....I picked the US.

dsgrue3 said:

Obesity I have already said it's a problem, but again, it's a personal issue. You can't blame the country for your gluttony - that's ridiculous.

United States has freedom of speech, excellent standards of living, what used to be the best healthcare in the world (key word BEST, no doubt it can be prohibitively expensive), and great Universities. 

How you can say that it's as bad as China is really beyond me. They are WORLDS apart. You might as well be comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari. It's just a horribly one-sided battle. Anyone with some intellect can see this. Then again, you are from the UK...

Anyway, let's consider the UK while we're at it so maybe you'll learn something.

Poverty in the UK - 22%

£119 per week for single adult with no dependent children - that converts to about $9,700 (note: dollars, not pounds)

"Obesity rates in the UK are the highest in Europe and have increased dramatically over the past few years to such an extent that in excess of 20% of the population are now obese and the costs to the UK economy exceed £3 billion per year. In Birmingham, over 25% of the population are obese - the third highest rate in the UK."

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/mds/centres/obesity/obesity-uk/index.aspx

Now that we've injected some facts into this I think you realize what a nescient person you've been.

Not going to argue the other points, have better thing to do, but obesity...

Yes, you can be glad you don't live in a country with rampant obesity. I never blaimed the country, this thread isn't about blaiming people for the flaws of countries, but if you want to assign a blaime, I would assign it to mega-corporatism, capitalism, and poor lifestyles. So it's a mix of the individuals fault, and the governments.

Glad you agree that UK's Obesity is the highest in Europe, and second to USA. I voted Germany, but I do like Northern Europe.

As for the rest, is USA leading in healthcare? My dads a doctor and last I checked the level of education a doctor from a US univeristy and a Canadian/European University is the same. Maybe for 0.005% of individuals who are rich enough to buy an entire team of doctors devoted to them, but in General no. Actually I'd argue this serious nonuniformity of healthcase as worse because the average person will receive poorer care.

Freedom of Speech, wait people don't have this in Europe/Canada? Wait....without racism I guess we must be supressing our voices from imaginary dictators.

Excellent Standards of living? Yea maybe compared to non 1st world nations. $10 for a greesy McDonalds burger, versus $10 for a honest to god, properly cooked meal in Europe, yup I'd love to be in USA.

And actually, comparing USA to Europe is like comparing a Chevy (Basically a Yugo) to a Ferrarri. All China is, is Chery (Imitation Chevy brand).

I'm not from the UK, LOL. Nice to see that you're specifically insulting UK when USA's quality is being questioned. Guess Europe, or where I'm from is actually better then USA then since you're not insulting them. UK did score pretty high too, even if I separated USA and UK, I bet UK would come third, so it's no wonder you attack it. P.S. How you view UK is how others view USA too, just a bit more extreme.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Jumpin said:
snyps said:
Jumpin said:
The US, Brazil, or Thailand due to all of crazy gun people, violence, and murder in those countries.

This is why I love it in the USA.  Everyone is scaredy of our freedom to defend ourselves.

You love the US because of crazy gun people, violence, and murder?

Also, a country where it is safe enough that you don't have to defend yourself is much more free than a country where arming yourself for defense is a necessity.

This is so damn true, and Americans can't see this in themselves.

You would have nailed my view of USA in a sentence, just add Obesity, Poverty, and Racism.

Michael-5 said:
dsgrue3 said:

Poverty in the UK - 22%

Not going to argue the other points, have better thing to do, but obesity...

Yes, you can be glad you don't live in a country with rampant obesity. I never blaimed the country, this thread isn't about blaiming people for the flaws of countries, but if you want to assign a blaime, I would assign it to mega-corporatism, capitalism, and poor lifestyles. So it's a mix of the individuals fault, and the governments.

Glad you agree that UK's Obesity is the highest in Europe, and second to USA. I voted Germany, but I do like Northern Europe.

As for the rest, is USA leading in healthcare? My dads a doctor and last I checked the level of education a doctor from a US univeristy and a Canadian/European University is the same. Maybe for 0.005% of individuals who are rich enough to buy an entire team of doctors devoted to them, but in General no. Actually I'd argue this serious nonuniformity of healthcase as worse because the average person will receive poorer care.

Freedom of Speech, wait people don't have this in Europe/Canada? Wait....without racism I guess we must be supressing our voices from imaginary dictators.

Excellent Standards of living? Yea maybe compared to non 1st world nations. $10 for a greesy McDonalds burger, versus $10 for a honest to god, properly cooked meal in Europe, yup I'd love to be in USA.

And actually, comparing USA to Europe is like comparing a Chevy (Basically a Yugo) to a Ferrarri. All China is, is Chery (Imitation Chevy brand).

I'm not from the UK, LOL. Nice to see that you're specifically insulting UK when USA's quality is being questioned. Guess Europe, or where I'm from is actually better then USA then since you're not insulting them. UK did score pretty high too, even if I separated USA and UK, I bet UK would come third, so it's no wonder you attack it. P.S. How you view UK is how others view USA too, just a bit more extreme.

LOL respond to half a post? Yep, done here.